Limitless TP Suggestion Limitless V2 GT XLX2

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justin080

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Limitless
  2. Typhon 6s
  3. Typhon TLR
I am pretty new to the tp motor world and want to give it a try..
my thoughts are : will the 4070 1700 kv be in general better than the 2080kv when geared to the same speed ?
will the lower kv be run cooler and draw less amps?
also should i go for the cm or noncm?
searching for 150-160 mph motor.
i probably only will run on 8s.

20230325_195248.jpg

I'd recommend getting a CM series motor. The quality is significantly better along with the amperage handling.
The TP4070-CM 2200KV is hard to beat for 6s or 8s use.
i was just wondered because some peoples are telling these cm's are just amp hungry and you wouldnt have positive side effect from more rpm because under load you will never reach that max rpm

i was just wondered because some peoples are telling these cm's are just amp hungry and you wouldnt have positive side effect from more rpm because under load you will never reach that max rpm

Are those "some people" experience speed runners with solid experience?
I only run a TP4070CM motor and was able to hit so far with a 1/7 scale Gt:
2s - 109 mph
3s - 134 mph (current world record)
4s - 146 mph

I plan on going back out and taking the 2s setup to 115+ trying to get that WR and 150+ on the 4s setup for a WR on that one too.
All with the 4070cm (y)

Are those "some people" experience speed runners with solid experience?
I only run a TP4070CM motor and was able to hit so far with a 1/7 scale Gt
2s - 109 mph
3s - 134 mph (current world record)
4s - 146 mph

I plan on going back out and taking the 2s setup to 115+ trying to get that WR and 150+ on the 4s setup for a WR on that one too.
All with the 4070cm (y)
one guy is in the facebook arrma group and he reached with the normal 4070 1700 kv 165 mph

so tp tells us max amp rating.
is this the power consumption w. no load ? or max current the motor can handle?
my thoughts are that a motor just asking for current and the esc is feeding the motor so my solution 1 is the right one ?
i am not sure

Last edited:
one guy is in the facebook arrma group and he reached with the normal 4070 1700 kv 165 mph
That is pretty good.
I would say that KV vs gearing tends to equal out for amperage draw. The key difference is the wire size in the motor drops and the amperage handling of the lower KV motor is less. I really like the quality of the rotor and shimming included with the CM motors. Could you go fast with the 1700? Absolutely, just my preference would be a CM motor.

The CM motor is a higher power-rated motor which means it has a higher potential for higher speeds.

4070 standard rated to cont. 3850 watts and max 7600
4070cm rated to cont 5000 and max 9000
(TPs ratings is max it can handle for 10 seconds straight)

These are some data points from my runs. It appears for 150-160 mph you will need 7,000-9,000 watts.

Watts to MPH Capture.PNG

Just some info that might help you make your decision. Neither is a bad choice, but I feel CM 2200 is a stronger option. Plenty of guys out there who would also put their money on the CM motor.

That is pretty good.
I would say that KV vs gearing tends to equal out for amperage draw. The key difference is the wire size in the motor drops and the amperage handling of the lower KV motor is less. I really like the quality of the rotor and shimming included with the CM motors. Could you go fast with the 1700? Absolutely, just my preference would be a CM motor.

The CM motor is a higher power-rated motor which means it has a higher potential for higher speeds.

4070 standard rated to cont. 3850 watts and max 7600
4070cm rated to cont 5000 and max 9000
(TPs ratings is max it can handle for 10 seconds straight)

These are some data points from my runs. It appears for 150-160 mph you will need 7,000-9,000 watts.

View attachment 295116

Just some info that might help you make your decision. Neither is a bad choice, but I feel CM 2200 is a stronger option. Plenty of guys out there who would also put their money on the CM motor.
this is a solid answer brother :) i used before 1100kV 2028 soo....i will run the 4070cm high kv on 4s and can use my old saga gears to reach 130 mph lol

do you think the xlx2 will be fine with the 2200kv on 8s when switching? i have read a several times that you should be better stay under 2000kv at 8s...
otherside i heard that d wind motors will fry the esc, this is the reason i bought xlx2+ 2028 1100kV and my esc still fried at only 200 amps lol.
so definitly will switch to tp

this is a solid answer brother :) i used before 1100kV 2028 soo....i will run the 4070cm high kv on 4s and can use my old saga gears to reach 130 mph lol

do you think the xlx2 will be fine with the 2200kv on 8s when switching? i have read a several times that you should be better stay under 2000kv at 8s...
otherside i heard that d wind motors will fry the esc, this is the reason i bought xlx2+ 2028 1100kV and my esc still fried at only 200 amps lol.
so definitly will switch to tp
No issues there. Only the original 3.8.0.0 firmware had issues with the d wind 4 pole high rpms.
Newer firmware resolves that issue.

There are guys running 2900kv on 8s. I think they are crazy, but they are doing it...

You also have the TP4080 cm and SVM models too that go further to 11kw

Last edited:
@LibertyMKiii while i have planty of room with those sideskirts i decided to flip the motor mount and will go with a 4080....do you prefer the cm or svm version?
the svm seems to be newer and has 200w more powa.
and there is a y wind 2100kv 8s version
or should i just go 4080cm 2022

Last edited:
@LibertyMKiii while i have planty of room with those sideskirts i decided to flip the motor mount and will go with a 4080....do you prefer the cm or svm version?
the svm seems to be newer and has 200w more powa.
and there is a y wind 2100kv 8s version
or should i just go 4080cm 2022

Hard to say on that. The wattage ratings are relatively close. I have wanted to try a Wye wind since all my TP motors have always been Delta winds.
No specific experience there. But you likely cannot go wrong with either...

Hard to say on that. The wattage ratings are relatively close. I have wanted to try a Wye wind since all my TP motors have always been Delta winds.
No specific experience there. But you likely cannot go wrong with either...
I think it is 99,99% safe to use a d wind then.. :cool:

Didn't read every post just skimmed through so forgive me if repeating something..but in my experiences the cm motor draw much less amps than the reg motors especially on higher kv motors ..I ran from 1170kv upto 4400kv tp motors reg an cm..cm is the only 40mm motors I'll ever buy again..logs show they are well worth the extra funds..

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back