Kraton Traxxas 3s 5000mah 25c batteries good enough?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No damage to the car. It was wet and a little Icy. I have had problems with my battery moving around so I bought new straps. They where holding pretty tight intel this incident I noticed it smoking and ripped it out as fast as I could and threw it. I wonder if there was a cover for that gear. I bought it used and its the very first car I have owned ever.

Dang @Johdgoins , That's not good. What kind of battery is that and what were your driving conditions? How much damage to the car?
No damage. Duratrax Onyx LIPO 3S 11.1V 5000 mAh 35c Soft case xt90. I was able to rip out the battery in time before it burnt everything up. Now I have to find a solution! I had 2 3s Lipos in it that I tapped together to make them fit in the battery box and then bought new straps because I was having issues with the battery getting loose in the straps and sliding around. I wonder if there is a cover for that gear?? This is my first RC and completely new to the sport. Now I have to buy a matching battery. Or should I do the conversion to do the 6S. None of this really makes since to me.

No damage to the car. It was wet and a little Icy. I have had problems with my battery moving around so I bought new straps. They where holding pretty tight intel this incident I noticed it smoking and ripped it out as fast as I could and threw it. I wonder if there was a cover for that gear. I bought it used and its the very first car I have owned ever.

No damage. Duratrax Onyx LIPO 3S 11.1V 5000 mAh 35c Soft case xt90. I was able to rip out the battery in time before it burnt everything up. Now I have to find a solution! I had 2 3s Lipos in it that I tapped together to make them fit in the battery box and then bought new straps because I was having issues with the battery getting loose in the straps and sliding around. I wonder if there is a cover for that gear?? This is my first RC and completely new to the sport. Now I have to buy a matching battery. Or should I do the conversion to do the 6S. None of this really makes since to me.
It has made cuts in the battery before but never made it all the way through the outer coving. I have taped it before and thats when taped them together, then it happened again and I bought a new strap. Then it catches fire in my car so now i need a new battery and a solution for it to never happen again. Figuring out this a expensive hobby. 2 servos later.

YEP, can be very expensive. I have 3s softpacks for my 6S setups, but run hard case batteries in my 4S bashing batteries. I am not ready for 6S bashing yet, and am not sure I ever will be. Maybe if I had a huge area to run in. But around here the biggest areas are sports fields, softball, soccer etc. So there isn't much terrain to cause a devastating blow to the batteries. I was wandering about making the soft packs into hard packs. I just don't know how.

YEP, can be very expensive. I have 3s softpacks for my 6S setups, but run hard case batteries in my 4S bashing batteries. I am not ready for 6S bashing yet, and am not sure I ever will be. Maybe if I had a huge area to run in. But around here the biggest areas are sports fields, softball, soccer etc. So there isn't much terrain to cause a devastating blow to the batteries. I was wandering about making the soft packs into hard packs. I just don't know how.
Where do you pic up your 3s battery. The one exactly like my one that is still good is $89.99

I score a deal for 4 Bias 50C 3S 5000mAh 11.1V LiPo Batteries. for $131. Tried to order a second set for a buddy, and 10 minutes later it was up to $250 for the same 4 batteries. I think I caught the pricing mistake, they honored my purchase and raised the listing price after that. There are a ton of threads on batteries, you just gotta dig thru them.

Do you have a photo on how they fit for you? How will it connect to the wiring of the Kraton?
The 4S and 6S packs fit almost perfectly, there is a bit of room to spare so I stick something like a folded up postcard on the side to make them snug. I also use an extra strap I run lengthwise and under the battery tray for additional security. Will take pic ASAP. As far as how they connect, I soldered on my own connectors. I use XT150'S. The XT90's are fine though. Soldering stations are cheap and it's pretty easy to learn how to solder. If you have a V2 Kraton it will be using XT90's stock. These are what I use and you can order them with XT90 connectors. I have the 4S pack too.
http://www.smc-racing.net/index.php?route=product/product&path=67_119&product_id=232

The piece that covers the spur gear is part number AR310428.
You have a hobby grade vehicle. Pretty much all of it can be replaced/repaired.

Last edited:
The 4S and 6S packs fit almost perfectly, there is a bit of room to spare so I stick something like a folded up postcard on the side to make them snug. I also use an extra strap I run lengthwise and under the battery tray for additional security. Will take pic ASAP. As far as how they connect, I soldered on my own connectors. I use XT150'S. The XT90's are fine though. Soldering stations are cheap and it's pretty easy to learn how to solder. If you have a V2 Kraton it will be using XT90's stock. These are what I use and you can order them with XT90 connectors. I have the 4S pack too.
http://www.smc-racing.net/index.php?route=product/product&path=67_119&product_id=232

Have you ordered from this site??? Did you say you have pics of how you connected your single battery. I put one of my 3 s batteries in it and it didn't run. This is all new to me. Sorry if I sound ignorant on this. It's because I am. New to anything electronics. Never owned anything like this.

Have you ordered from this site??? Did you say you have pics of how you connected your single battery. I put one of my 3 s batteries in it and it didn't run. This is all new to me. Sorry if I sound ignorant on this. It's because I am. New to anything electronics. Never owned anything like this.
Yes, many people do. Very popular brand/site to order batteries from. Lots of other options too. You are paying way too much for batteries man. You must be buying from hobby shop huh? To run one battery in the Kraton instead of two you just cap off one lead with the supplied cap off connector and then connect the battery to the other lead. This pic shows it. Can't take pic of mine. Forgot I have it taken apart. Replacing the ESC and it has XT150's so looks totally different than stock.
kraton.jpg

I was wondering why you choose to use XT 150s? What is the gage wire on those connectors? And does the number (XT 60, 90, 150) correspond the ESC amp draw? Are the bigger connectors easy to work with? 2. I have traxxas 12gage wires on my 50C Lipos. I use a male traxxas to XT90 female adapter to use them in my Kraton. Is that Ok? Am loosing any power or creating resistance

Personally I don't run anything below 50c. If you are dropping below the recommended c than it will ado a lot of stress to the batteries and they will puff. The ESC is 150a and you are only giving it 100a. I wouldn't recommend it.

Correct me if I'm wrong on this: a 35c battery with 5000 mAh would be calculated at 35x5= 175amps. Doesn't that mean the at the ESC draws 25 less amps than the Battery can safely supply, making it Ok? I also run no less than 50c like you and I believed that they could deliver 250 amps (on a 5000 mAh battery)? Do I have this rite?

Correct me if I'm wrong on this: a 35c battery with 5000 mAh would be calculated at 35x5= 175amps. Doesn't that mean the at the ESC draws 25 less amps than the Battery can safely supply, making it Ok? I also run no less than 50c like you and I believed that they could deliver 250 amps (on a 5000 mAh battery)? Do I have this rite?

Yes your 5000 50c would deliver 250amps. Now for what lil I understand in batteries. My question is I have 2 2s 7600mah 25c batteries, that would be 190 amps. The recommended minimum is 175 amps, which would be a 5000 35c. Would that not still be sufficient or is c rating really that important? I'm not new to the RC game but still a bit confused on lipo ratings

Yes, many people do. Very popular brand/site to order batteries from. Lots of other options too. You are paying way too much for batteries man. You must be buying from hobby shop huh? To run one battery in the Kraton instead of two you just cap off one lead with the supplied cap off connector and then connect the battery to the other lead. This pic shows it. Can't take pic of mine. Forgot I have it taken apart. Replacing the ESC and it has XT150's so looks totally different than stock.View attachment 5509
I Emailed SMC to see if they sold a loop connection for the XT90 connection and they said they would recommend using 2 3s 7200mAH units instead of the one 6S 400mAH. They said they will make one for me for 3$ if i decided to go that route. What is your opinion? The 4S is the same 7200mAH

I Emailed SMC to see if they sold a loop connection for the XT90 connection and they said they would recommend using 2 3s 7200mAH units instead of the one 6S 400mAH. They said they will make one for me for 3$ if i decided to go that route. What is your opinion? The 4S is the same 7200mAH
Did you buy your car new? If so it should have came with a loop connector that looks like the image below.
arrma-xt90-female-loop-connector-araar390204.jpg

tower hobbies sells em. I may have even ordered an extra by accident. Let me check when I get home.

Used Car and It didn't have one.
I think I have some of them at home unless I threw them but at $3 it is probably cheaper just to have SMC add it to your order versus me shipping one to you unless you live near me I would think. Tower Hobbies has them for $6.99 too.

I think I have some of them at home unless I threw them but at $3 it is probably cheaper just to have SMC add it to your order versus me shipping one to you unless you live near me I would think. Tower Hobbies has them for $6.99 too.

I just realized my charger only goes up to 3cell on lipos :(

OK, well either time for a new charger, or just run the 2s and 3s bricks in sequence so you get 4s or 6s performance. Having bought a preowned vehicle, and being new to the hobby this forum is going to be a huge source of info for you. Enjoy the repairs, it's all part of the fun.

OK, well either time for a new charger, or just run the 2s and 3s bricks in sequence so you get 4s or 6s performance. Having bought a preowned vehicle, and being new to the hobby this forum is going to be a huge source of info for you. Enjoy the repairs, it's all part of the fun.
Ok I read on hear the dimension of the battery box is 139x51x45mm. My box measures about 51mm wide so Im assuming the 45 is the height. The 3S batteries I have found are 29mm to 38mm wide that would be too tall if I laid them flat.

I stack mine on top of each other. Using the 2 stock straps I have not had an issue. I plan on running a 3rd strap lengthwise to make sure.

Just read that your charger will only charge up to 3S. Shame. I prefer the single brick over stacking 2 batteries. Plus I like using hard cases, more protection. I do have four soft 3S bricks. I use them in my Nero out of necessity as you have to use two, one on each side. Sometimes I will use in Kraton but it never feels secure enough for me piling them on top of each other. I would agree that two 3S 7000 mah is going to be too big.

I was wondering why you choose to use XT 150s? What is the gage wire on those connectors? And does the number (XT 60, 90, 150) correspond the ESC amp draw? Are the bigger connectors easy to work with? 2. I have traxxas 12gage wires on my 50C Lipos. I use a male traxxas to XT90 female adapter to use them in my Kraton. Is that Ok? Am loosing any power or creating resistance

I chose XT150 after watching this vid. Vas does a great job of pointing out the benefits.
The gage wire is whatever you choose to solder them onto. The larger number is capable of handling more current. They are big bullet connectors so very easy to work with. I never soldered anything in my life and was able to solder these. It did take a bit of research figuring out what color housing and male or female to use where. XT90 is more than enough for 6S. I just liked the fact that with XT150 i could bypass the "Y" connector. Less wire, less resistance more power. As far as adapters, I would say they are not the most ideal and do create a resistance spot, but enough to care? Probably if you are a pro racer where tenths of a second make a diff.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Just read that your charger will only charge up to 3S. Shame. I prefer the single brick over stacking 2 batteries. Plus I like using hard cases, more protection. I do have four soft 3S bricks. I use them in my Nero out of necessity as you have to use two, one on each side. Sometimes I will use in Kraton but it never feels secure enough for me piling them on top of each other. I would agree that two 3S 7000 mah is going to be too big.

I chose XT150 after watching this vid. Vas does a great job of pointing out the benefits.
The gage wire is whatever you choose to solder them onto. The larger number is capable of handling more current. They are big bullet connectors so very easy to work with. I never soldered anything in my life and was able to solder these. It did take a bit of research figuring out what color housing and male or female to use where. XT90 is more than enough for 6S. I just liked the fact that with XT150 i could bypass the "Y" connector. Less wire, less resistance more power. As far as adapters, I would say they are not the most ideal and do create a resistance spot, but enough to care? Probably if you are a pro racer where tenths of a second make a diff.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for this Post! I'm realizing now that the male traxxas to female XT 90 plugs I bought might be a "connection point" issue. I'm not sure if my LiPo which is 50c 12gage wire with a traxxas connector, then put into a XT 90, is bad or not? I'm assuming Traxxas moves heavy amps through it's eRevo, but I don't know if they use better traxxas connectors or 8 gage wire, or what. Let me know what you think about this (I am Brand New to 1/8 scale, LiPo, and 6s)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back