Traxxas XL-5 Amperage Rating, Upgrading Brushed ESC on Slash

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you allowed to run different LiPos?
Maybe some performance advantage exists there.

Yes we are. Any 2S hard case lipo under 6000 mAh, or something like that. I'm currently using CNHL shorty packs that I also run in my buggy. I'm sure other "name brand" packs would have slightly lower internal resistance, etc...

Built with 14 awg wire???
LOL, wikipedia says the 1 second fusing current of 14 awg is 633a.
View attachment 344396

I'd be interested to note what their definition of "continuous" is :ROFLMAO:

Continuous for 1/2 a second ;)
Yes we are. Any 2S hard case lipo under 6000 mAh, or something like that. I'm currently using CNHL shorty packs that I also run in my buggy. I'm sure other "name brand" packs would have slightly lower internal resistance, etc...
It would be interesting to see what the faster guys are running.
Id be willing to bet they run SMC

I don't know that it is bomb proof.
That 1060 can be had as in any RTR crawler. They are really cheap. How cheap does one want to go with their Racing program. OP wants to improve his speed . He in in the top 3 finishing, on average. Wants an edge. The 1060 might be for naught. Just wasting his time to save 3 cents. I have all of these ESC's.
:giggle:

Last edited:
$22 for a bombproof 60a brushed ESC is overpriced?

I tend to agree, it doesn't seem thaaaat expensive. But the 1080 does seem much more feature rich in comparison.

At my LHS, the 1060 was $30, and the 1080 was $50. And after reading the manual in more detail, it appears I can program all of the available parameters by using the "set" button, just like on the Spektrum stuff. So no need for any programming card at all!

I went with the 1080 for the following reasons:
- only 5V BEC on the 1060
- more adjustable parameters on the 1080
- "buy once cry once" mentality. I've been bitten so many times in the past when trying to cheap out a little bit, only to have to spend even MORE down the road.

1080 is a "Real ESC".
Make sure your motor is up to the task.
Now go get a win.:cool:

Thanks for the help, everyone! Got the new ESC installed and programmed today. FYI, I can confirm that the LCD multifunction program box does NOT work with the Quicrun 1080. The program box powers on, but never moves past the "Connecting to ESC" stage. It's a bit of a pain, but I just used the "Set" button to toggle through the various settings. Drag brake off, punch set to max, freewheeling on.

Next race is tmrw night, so we'll see how much of a difference it makes.

UpN4Afe.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back