Maximum Amperage draw of a 7 Cell 5000mAh NiMH?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

travisbrook

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite Mega 2WD
I have a 140A Hobbywing Max10, and have recently made the switch to 3S LiPos and now have a few Overlander 7 Cell NiMHs lying around...

Obviously NiMH's don't have a 'C' rating so I wasn't sure how to calculate the max amperage draw, even after looking at the graphs on the Overlander website. I wanted to know if I could run these batteries safely, ie. when I give the car to other people, and not run the risk of damaging the batteries/ ESC.

Would I just turn off the LVC and lower the punch to reduce the amperage draw to a safe level?

https://www.overlander.co.uk/nimh-b...c-5000mah-8-4v-7-cell-hump-premium-sport.html

These are what I have, just with an EC3 connector...

Any help would be appreciated.

There is no way to use LVC effectively with Nim packs. The voltage drop-off curve is way too steep compared to a Lipo that always needs LVC. Other wise you damage the Lipo cells with only about 30 -40% capacity remaining.
It's perfectly fine for Nims to run down completely, till the rig stops and is not driveable. then swap packs and repeat. In fact this creates a good "memory" on the Nimpack. They run best when fully discharged then recharged. With only Half used Nimpacks, and then recharged to full again, this creates a bad memory effect on them. Performing less than optimum. A Normal Nim pack chemistry thing. A Nimpack can run down to .9-1.0v/cell safely just fine. Unlike Lipo packs. Nim packs are much more forgiving this way.
>>>Yeah Dropping the Punch down will get you more tamable driving and longer run times as well. Will also spare your drive train more so.(y)

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back