Granite Trim settings with new radio

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spook

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
I have just installed a new radio (Radiolink RC4GS) first mod I’ve ever made. I think everything went well, however when I just checked the tuck the steering was well off, I have had to adjust the trip to the right by about 50% to go straight. With the old Spektrum radio I left the trim in the middle and that was fine.

Is it normal to need so much trim adjustment? Or have I done something wrong putting everything back together?

Many Thanks

remove servo saver, power on servo, put trim to middle and put the servo saver back on.

I guess I have to take the power module out of the Granite again to get to the servo saver?

Ah, was hoping to avoid that as one of the screws isn’t very good.... damn.... Does this mean something moved or I did something wrong during the change or is it just that the radio is different?

Sorry for the stupid / basic question but I am struggling to find videos on server savers and removing them.... is this straight forward and can they only go back on one way / in one place? Or could I do all that and it still be the same as something moved again ?

Many Thanks

Did you make sure the wheels were straight before you binded the transmitter? The transmitter will interpret the starting position as straight. Try re-binding with the wheels straight.

Ah, I didn’t realise that, I didn’t actually check.... I guess thats a rookie mistake but I’m learning as I go.... Re-binding it will be easier I guess but I cant get to the bind button without de-sticking the receiver from the bottom of the box to get to the button.... but that must be easier.

Is it easy to tell if the wheels are completely straight for binding ? looking at my wheels, they kind of point outwards.... might not be that easy it tell......

Wish I realised that before binding... still, I’ve got lots to learn....... and I am learning....

I would reinstall the servo saver. Even if rebinding does compensate for the servo saver not being properly aligned, you'll find the steering response won't be the same between left and right and the saver may physically interfere with something on the chassis.

Ah, I didn’t realise that, I didn’t actually check.... I guess thats a rookie mistake but I’m learning as I go.... Re-binding it will be easier I guess but I cant get to the bind button without de-sticking the receiver from the bottom of the box to get to the button.... but that must be easier.

Is it easy to tell if the wheels are completely straight for binding ? looking at my wheels, they kind of point outwards.... might not be that easy it tell......

Wish I realised that before binding... still, I’ve got lots to learn....... and I am learning....
You only changed the transmitter/receiver right? You didn't change the servo saver or the servo correct? If you never changed the servo saver, then it is on straight, I see no reason to take it off like these guys are suggesting. If it was driving straight before and all you changed was the receiver, the servo saver is NOT what's causing your current problem.

The wheels pointing outwards is normal. That's called toe out, it helps with turning/cornering. Just make sure they're both turned outwards equally and you're "straight".

Even if the wheels aren't completely straight, you can adjust with your transmitter afterwards. But you'll only have to adjust a little, it won't be 50% to one side like it is now. A little bit of adjustment is often necessary even though every else is as straight as possible.

I don't have the same receiver as you, but there should be a way to stick it on so you can re-bind without having to de-stick it every time. Just try to re-bind with the wheels relatively straight and I'll think you'll be fine.

Last edited:
Thank you. Yes, I did just replace the receiver didn’t touch the servo or servo saver (as far as I know) I was beginning to think I had to set that up in some way before fitting it, good to know I don‘t have to.

The problem with binding it is that the little button to press is tiny and recessed into the case slightly making it very hard to press even when it’s in front of you. Once I stuck it down as far to the right edge as I could (button is on the left) there is still only a small gap to the left.

i can’t imagine I will be able to get anything onto the button to press it, especially as I can’t see it, without removing so I can see and press it..... but I am going to have a go.....

Can I ask another silly question, what does the servo saver actually do, and If I do change the servo / servo saver in the future how do I know when it is correctly set, is it even adjustable ?

Many Thanks.

Thank you. Yes, I did just replace the receiver didn’t touch the servo or servo saver (as far as I know) I was beginning to think I had to set that up in some way before fitting it, good to know I don‘t have to.

The problem with binding it is that the little button to press is tiny and recessed into the case slightly making it very hard to press even when it’s in front of you. Once I stuck it down as far to the right edge as I could (button is on the left) there is still only a small gap to the left.

i can’t imagine I will be able to get anything onto the button to press it, especially as I can’t see it, without removing so I can see and press it..... but I am going to have a go.....

Can I ask another silly question, what does the servo saver actually do, and If I do change the servo / servo saver in the future how do I know when it is correctly set, is it even adjustable ?

Many Thanks.
I had the same problem with my receiver, when I re-stuck it I made sure to pick a spot I could get to the bind button more easily.

The servo saver provides some flexibility to the steering. Every bump moves the wheels around side to side a little bit. At the same time, the servo is trying to keep the wheels on the line you want. So at times the servo is fighting against the movement of the wheels. If 100% of this movement was handled by the servo, it would put alot of stress on the servo. That's where the servo SAVER comes in. It has a spring that allows some movement so the servo doesn't have to fight every little bump. As far as I know, there are no adjustable servo savers available for the Granite. (If you find one, I'd be interested).

If you ever replace your servo and servo saver, THEN you should do what these other guys have suggested. You would connect the new servo to the receiver, but leave the servo disconnected from all the steering components, reset all your transmitter settings to zero, turn the truck on in bind mode and bind. The servo will be 100% centered. Then you would attach your servo saver to the servo, keeping it as straight as possible. There are lines on the bottom of the servo mount to line up with the servo saver to tell you what is straight. Finally you attach the servo saver to the rest of the steering.

Even when you've done everything straight and correctly, you'll probably still have to make some adjustments to the steering using the transmitter. The teeth that connect the servo and servo saver aren't going to be 100% straight relative to one another. My setup always requires a slight correction to the left.

Last edited:
Oh, one more thing. If your transmitter/receiver has some sort of traction control/AVC, make sure the receiver is on a flat surface before you bind. That way the receiver correctly knows which way is up/down/left right. I don't have traction control so it wasn't an issue.

Thank you for all the info..... I did try to put the receiver in a space where I could get to the bind button but it wasnt possible.... I will have a go at rebinding it and see if I can be lucky !

I guess this is a really stupid question, I have decided to rebind the controller with the wheels straight to take out the excessive trim adjustment as suggested, however, if i reset the controller to zero, the wheels do seem to point a bit to the left, but how do I straighten them before binding ? With everything turned on, I can’t (easily) move the wheels as I am fighting with the servo, if I turn it off I can re-centre the wheels but as soon as I turn it on the wheels move to the left again.

I guess I could trim them straight, but what happens if I bind with excessive right trim? Is that ignored and I can effectively remove the trim once it is bound, or will it be bound keeping the excessive trim?

thanks all

I guess I could trim them straight, but what happens if I bind with excessive right trim? Is that ignored and I can effectively remove the trim once it is bound, or will it be bound keeping the excessive trim?

You're using the trim to compensate for the fact that your servo saver isn't mounted properly. Rebinding isn't going to change that.

I thought my problem was that it was initially bound when the wheels weren’t straight, I haven’t changed the servo or servo saver from when I changed the receiver and radio.... I was trying to rebind the controller with the wheels straight.... or am I going about it the wrong way?

You have to start the bind mode. Don't worry that the wheels aren't straight before you start. You won't be able to straighten your wheels until you put the receiver in bind mode.

Reset your controller to zero. Start the bind process. When the receiver is in bind mode it will not turn its wheels in response to your controller. The wheels should be fairly straight. Re-bind to your controller.

If this doesn't work, you may have to re-mount your servo saver as Arrmature suggests, but like I said before, if it was straight before and you never changed it, I don't see how it could be mounted incorrectly.

My understanding of this radio is that to bind, you have to turn on the transmitter, then turn on the receiver and finally press the bind button. As soon as the receiver is turned on the servo will be driven to what the receiver thinks is the neutral position. If the receiver does not command the servo while in bind mode, you'll still have the problem where you're trying to straighten the wheels while the receiver is binding.

If you can get the truck running straight using the trim, just leave it alone. Don't be bothered by the fact that the trim isn't centered. I would guess that the servo throw from one end point to the other is perhaps 60-70 degrees. Each spline on the servo corresponds to 14 degrees, so about 20% of the total throw.

Its all a bit weird and I’m struggling to get my head round it, with the old radio everything seemed pretty straight, I really don't like the trim being so far over (60 - 70 maybe even 75% to the right to go straight) - it makes me uncomfortable.... probably a bit of OCD..... as the display shows how far the trim is over in the LCD.

I guess I don’t understand why it is so far out after just chasing the receiver. I did have to remove the steering linkage to do it, could I have messed something up here? I don't see there are any other options with refining the linkage though.

The servo saver is under the servo, so to remove it I have to remove the servo and therefore the linkage - so the wheels will be flopping around as they arent connected to anything to see if they are straight.

I have taken it apart a few times and I am a but worried about the screws into plastic having taken it apart so many times... so I am trying to plan for all eventualities before I take it apart again to try the binding.... What if I start the 1st binding without turning on the controller? This would give me more time to mess around with the wheels, then turn on the controller, and bind again.....

As you can probably tell, I really want to try and get this centred without massive trim.

If I have to take the servo and saver out, once its out, how can I align the wheels when it isn’t connected?

Thanks for all your help, I need some pretty simple instructions!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back