Tripod Heads for Tilting & Rotating RC Car Stand Anyone have experience with these?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RCSteve

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Kraton EXB
  4. Outcast 8s
  5. Outcast EXB
I have come to the conclusion that I need an RC Car Stand to make work more comfortable and would like compatibility with obese vehicles.

I do have my eye on a tilting/rotating work stand by StupidRC but at the price of $144 shipped I would like to check out my DIY options.

https://stupidrcparts.com/index.php...d-aluminum-premium-acrylic&controller=product

I was thinking about ripping off the above idea for a DIY solution with TV surface mounts but didn't find anything. Then I was thinking about musical instrument equipment like keyboard stands. Finally I came to Tripod heads due to size and features plus the extreme strength, if you want over 100lbs of clamping force be prepared to pay but they exist.

Here is an example of a 66lb clamping force head for ~$60, the second picture is ~$100.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1068625-REG/sunwayfoto_fb_44ii_ball_head.html

Using a Tripod Head I was thinking about attaching a bed of some sort with pegs that can be placed in various locations, like the StupidRC, so that the stand can tilt and the car stays. I would then pickup some sort of attached bench tripod for the base to have adjustable height.

Has anyone made a stand with a tripod head? Or maybe a stand that rotates AND tilts ("front and back, side to side, and all that poop," like Dr. Dre once said)?

sunwayfoto_fb_44ii_ball_head_1577371016_1068625.jpg

vanguard_alta_bh_300_bh_300_ball_head_1520594474_1394940.jpg

Just some ideas to spur your imagination
Lazy Susan + Lab Lift + Panavise I, didn't search for thrifty, just examples of the idea.
Screen Shot 2021-12-17 at 4.48.33 PM 2.jpg
Screen Shot 2021-12-17 at 4.45.11 PM 2.jpg
Screen Shot 2021-12-17 at 4.43.13 PM 2.jpg
IMG_3535.JPG

The problem with most of the ball head mounts is they aren’t designed for much weight. They don’t hold a heavy camera with lens well, and an Arrma vehicle would probably be too heavy for the mount to hold.

My lift is screwed to the lazy susan, it came with rubber feet as you see in the photo, removed those and used the same screw holes. It's very stable, I got the size to accommodate the lab lift but they also have a 12", but I find the 10" stable. I planned for 1/5 but currently my biggest is 1/7. The lab lift I chose has an 8"x8" top. I've not had a need to clamp (like throttle testing while on the lift) but if you look under the Slash in the photo I have rubber bumpers that can attach to the existing screw holes on the lab lift or tape. I kind of keep it flexible for RC's that don't have flat bottoms.

Edit: The product linked by @Engineer is excellent especially for limited bench space and larger vehicles.
Image 12-17-21 at 5.24 PM.jpg

Luckily I got plenty of bench counter in my RC room.

I saw an 18” lazy susan for cheap and I’m kind of thinking that route now, I just have to find the right panavise.

The nice part about a diy project like this is you can always recycle the parts if you change your mind.

527CC621-74A6-4E8C-A4F7-D1C303B6CD78.jpeg

I have cleaned since the picture was taken. 🤥

Perhaps look into using a bike stand with swivel clamp and modify that to hold a RC platform at the head to accomplish what you want.
At least the swivel clamp itself can handle up to 55lbs, so it should easily handle whatever weight your rig will be..

bike stand.png

Look for drum equipment… some drum sets use the ball and socket for their rack Tom’s…

…. Grainger sells them also I believe…

Edit*
Also, at work, our arm rest have the "panavise"…. It holds 300lbs men arms and legs….

Last edited:
Perhaps look into using a bike stand with swivel clamp and modify that to hold a RC platform at the head to accomplish what you want.
At least the swivel clamp itself can handle up to 55lbs, so it should easily handle whatever weight your rig will be..

View attachment 186838
I got a Park Tools stand but it too big and not quite what I want.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back