Kraton Trying to decide if I should sell my Kraton

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jjaroch

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
It is a 2018 Kraton. I have both a Outcast and a Kraton. I thought it would be fun for both my son and I to have a car to drive but all that happened is that I’m constantly fixing one or the other and it isn’t making my wife happy. So I’m just trying to see if there is any interest in it before I go through the work of taking pictures and putting it up. I have it apart right now so it isn’t “picture ready” anyways. I broke a diff outdrive on the Outcast so I stole the diff from the Kraton but I plan on ordering a new outdrive and then putting the diff back on the Kraton

I would probably keep most of the extras that I have on it with the exception of: Backflip tires and RPM arms all around. Maybe a charger and a battery if the price is worth doing it. I bought the Outcast from a guy and it came with a charger and a battery, so I have 3 batteries and 2 chargers total.

Things that are wrong: I broke the tail arms off a couple times including a RPM tail arm, I got sick of replacing it so I just left it that way. It was definitely used so I’m not claiming it is in perfect shape. I never opened up any of the diffs I didn’t have any issues with them so I didn’t want to screw anything up by messing around with the fluids.

I have a video on here if you want to see the beast in action. I also attached a picture of when it was brand new back in January. Let me know if you have any interest or questions.

957DFF0B-3E27-4252-9BD8-7D19C90A08CE.jpeg

I’ll let u talk to my wife! :cool:
I agree with our fearless leader WoodiE, I would keep both. Nothing wrong with stealing parts from one RC, as this keeps one running until you get spare parts in. Wrenching is part of the hobby. I agree, we must keep our ladies happy, but it sounds like not only good times RC bashing for you, but also that very important father/son bonding. Surely, she does not want to take away that...

Could not bash them? Its as fun just to drive them on streets and on grass without jumping them. Would save you money, lots of it. I prob put $1300 into my kraton with upgrades, tools and wheels and other stuff and think about selling mine only because i have no place to run mine and don't know anyone here where i live... Also thinking about buying a $240 motor which is another reason why i think about selling it... Its a drug, i keep wanting to upgrade it...

Could not bash them? Its as fun just to drive them on streets and on grass without jumping them. Would save you money, lots of it. I prob put $1300 into my kraton with upgrades, tools and wheels and other stuff and think about selling mine only because i have no place to run mine and don't know anyone here where i live... Also thinking about buying a $240 motor which is another reason why i think about selling it... Its a drug, i keep wanting to upgrade it...
Keep it man! Sounds like your Kraton is already upgraded plenty enough. I know, it is like a drug upgrading these, and the aftermarket RC companies know this, $ching, $ching. Sometimes we do have to say to ourselves, enough upgrading & just drive the damn thing. Save buying the new expensive motor, as the stock Arrma motor is great. There must be some dirt somewhere nearby to have some fun? If too far to walk to this area, drive in full size vehicle to get there, or put RC in backpack and ride bike there? What about making a portable wood jump for the grass, as grass does add some cushion to landings?

If you are breaking it too much, try 4s. Yeah, the speed won't be as WOW and the jumps won't be epic, but the truck will generally survive to LVC. This is the #1 reason I kept my son and I on 4s (mostly). Plus we 'track bash' a lot, and 6s is useless at the track (heck even on 4s we often set the EPA to 60%-80% to slow down more - slower is faster!)

Also, agree with "Father son bonding time" How old is the kid? Give them a wrench, and let them turn some screws. Teach them how stuff works, and more F&S time... (And if you feel you son is too young to turn a screwdriver, then IMHO, they are too young for a 40mph RC car, go get them a brushed ECX Ruckus)

Is the Wife issue a time spent with the car issue? Or a Money spent on car issue? If the first, then make "Fixing time" replace "bashing time" with the son, instead of mid-week fixing at the dinner table may help. Less time driving, but still kid time. If it is the latter, then 4s can help, you parts budget will shrink bigly.

Or it could be the unspoken "you need to spend more time with me instead of your toy cars". The fix for this generally involves a babysitter and Date Nite.

Keep it man! Sounds like your Kraton is already upgraded plenty enough. I know, it is like a drug upgrading these, and the aftermarket RC companies know this, $ching, $ching. Sometimes we do have to say to ourselves, enough upgrading & just drive the damn thing. Save buying the new expensive motor, as the stock Arrma motor is great. There must be some dirt somewhere nearby to have some fun? If too far to walk to this area, drive in full size vehicle to get there, or put RC in backpack and ride bike there? What about making a portable wood jump for the grass, as grass does add some cushion to landings?
I upgraded to a HS 1480kv for $70, was (still am) looking into a cordova $240 motor, i hear they stay cool, more so then any other motor and with 23t pinions without heatsinks. don't see any reviews on that motor so don't really know....

As far as going out, i have issues with going out on my own which is a part of my autism (tmi?)so i tend to stay in my apt. I have to force myself to go outside just to drive it out in front which is boring and more so alone. I avoid jumping it, so far have not broken any part on it and i like speed over stunts.

Sell the kraton! You don't need it. I'm take it for you...just kidding man.
Maybe get the wife a car of her own...

Sell the kraton! You don't need it. I'm take it for you...just kidding man.
Maybe get the wife a car of her own...
Sell it, Ha, Ha, great advice for whoever gets it. Getting the wife involved sounds like a great idea, but the big problem is, I'm sure she will crash it (ooops, think quick...ummm, because she would be a rookie, not a woman driver...just in case she is reading this...) and Jjaroch would be spending even more time working on RC's, which is part of the problem. Maybe she will allow you to work on the RC's in the TV family room for even more family time together, but maybe not...

I upgraded to a HS 1480kv for $70, was (still am) looking into a cordova $240 motor, i hear they stay cool, more so then any other motor and with 23t pinions without heatsinks. don't see any reviews on that motor so don't really know....

As far as going out, i have issues with going out on my own which is a part of my autism (tmi?)so i tend to stay in my apt. I have to force myself to go outside just to drive it out in front which is boring and more so alone. I avoid jumping it, so far have not broken any part on it and i like speed over stunts.
Even more reason to keep the Kraton, as this will get you outside more, as it's good to get out. I have been fighting cancer and other problems for over a year now, so not able to get out on my all carbon MTB & hit any jumps like I used to love to do. Due to my current health problems and cancer treatment side effects, new eye problem, etc, I'm also inside my house all the time now, as this caused me to not want to see any of my friends anymore. I have a high end home entertainment system, so this does help pass sometime inside, as my wife is only home on the weekends (teaches on the mainland), so it can get too hermit like around here sometimes during the week. My Talion & Kraton is the one thing that helps me get outside now, and also helps me keep somewhat still social on at least the Arrma forums.

Also, when I'm outside driving either my Arrma's and anyone walks by, they usually stop and check it out, as most people regardless of age, are interested when they see the power and speed of 6S, mixed with some jumps. Furthermore, this also helps me keep somewhat social, as I do still enjoy talking to people when I actually feel strong enough and do get outside. If I just feel like going outside with my RC and do not feel like seeing anyone, I just go to this dirt/gravel pit where no-one hardly goes. I also love speed and if you can mix speed, dirt & some jumps (do not have to be massive jumps either), wow, your Kraton would be even more fun to run and you would never get rid of it. Your Kraton will be a keeper for sure! I hope some of my comments will help you.

Asking for financially sound advice concerning spending on an rc on arrma forums...Probably not going to get the answer that goes along with you’re wife’s thinking. :)

As much money as my wife and daughter spend on horses, I better not hear one word about what I spend on RC's

...or guns :)

I say stand your ground and keep it. Tell her no.

^that's my 2 cents worth of bad advice so take it with a grain of salt

If you are breaking it too much, try 4s. Yeah, the speed won't be as WOW and the jumps won't be epic, but the truck will generally survive to LVC. This is the #1 reason I kept my son and I on 4s (mostly). Plus we 'track bash' a lot, and 6s is useless at the track (heck even on 4s we often set the EPA to 60%-80% to slow down more - slower is faster!)

Also, agree with "Father son bonding time" How old is the kid? Give them a wrench, and let them turn some screws. Teach them how stuff works, and more F&S time... (And if you feel you son is too young to turn a screwdriver, then IMHO, they are too young for a 40mph RC car, go get them a brushed ECX Ruckus)

Is the Wife issue a time spent with the car issue? Or a Money spent on car issue? If the first, then make "Fixing time" replace "bashing time" with the son, instead of mid-week fixing at the dinner table may help. Less time driving, but still kid time. If it is the latter, then 4s can help, you parts budget will shrink bigly.

Or it could be the unspoken "you need to spend more time with me instead of your toy cars". The fix for this generally involves a babysitter and Date Nite.

My sons 14, he works on them with me along with a lot of other projects we have going on.

I think my wife’s problem is that we have 5 kids and any time I’m working on the car is taking away from the rest of the kids and her of course.

4S isn’t a bad idea, except now I’m spending more money again. It’s crazy how much u end up spending even though most parts aren’t all that expensive individuallly. I’ll probably end up keeping it because I know I will be pissed later if I sell it.

Ya man, keep it. Just take a break from running them for a bit. Get them both in good running condition. Then you can set a time when just you and your son can go bash em. If anything breaks, they both go on the shelf. Once the parts come in, have the kid fix it. That way all you have to do is pay for the parts, and bash em. The kid does all the work, and you have time for the other kids.

Side note, you do know there are ways to prevent pregnancy, right?

Yeah, with 5 kids, and if only one kid is into RC, then, yeah, I can see that could be a problem. Any of the other kids show interest? LOL... That may go in a direction that makes the issue worst... LOL...

But yeah, maybe scale it back for a while. Read up on how to set the EPA on the Tactic radios, and set them to 60%-80% - control the speed, and breakages will go down.

Here is where I (Again) wish Arrma made some smaller scale RC's that were Kraton tough. Something like a 1/14 or 1/16 MT or truggy. There is a HUGE hole in the market for a durable, small RC. The Losi and Traxxas cars just are not durable, and while the Taccon / LC Racing cars are great, they (and parts) are rare as hen's teeth.

I have some smaller cars for my kids, they love them. The speeds are a lot slower - but the small cars can't handle huge speed, so they are still fun. Maintenance is sometimes tough on the small parts, though. Plus, the overall budget for them is cheap. $100-$150 for a new car, $15 lipos, $20 ESC, etc...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back