Typhon Trying to figure out what to do to my typhon

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Surchaufeur

Very Active Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Felony
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Nero
  4. Notorious
So i have been killing my head over my options to improve my typhon handling here are my options:
Option 1: get the badlands mx28 2.8 17mm hexes
Option 2: get the original badlands 2.8 with 17mm hex
Option 3: get the badlands mx m2 buggy tires with 17mm hexes
Option 4: upgrade the pinion and motor mount to 17-18t pinion but the tire problem remains 2 cracked wheels
At my local hobbyshop he has no badlands mx28 with 17mm hexes and they are on out of stock at his distributer isk about the buggy tires and original badlands i want to achive air stability and trigger response in the air the stock tires are just not up to the task anymore with cracked rims already

How about you just pick one set up and try it, none of the parts are expensive so if you don't like something swap it out and try something else.

Last edited:
How about you just pick one set up and try it, none of the parts are expensive so if you don't like something swap it out and try something else.
Proline tires are 110$ 2.8 for 2 sets where i live the backflip lps 3.8 cost 70$ For 2 sets the origianl badlands look to be between the buggy and monster truck version

Proline tires are 110$ 2.8 for 2 sets where i live the backflip lps 3.8 cost 70$ For 2 sets one mistake
I love the Original Badlands 2.8 give those a run if you think you might like them.
Gearing is dirt cheap that you can mess with different combinations for next to nothing.
Overall for our hobby still reasonable.

I love the Original Badlands 2.8 give those a run if you think you might like them.
Gearing is dirt cheap that you can mess with different combinations for next to nothing.
Overall for our hobby still reasonable.
I bought like 5 20$ motor mounts so far? for one truck

Motor does heat up quite a bit already stock with a fan yeah the original badlands would be my go to but idk if any hobbyshop has the,
I would vote get the MX2.8. But, I don't know if the 4x4 chassis needs wide hexes for them to fit. I would guess not (same hubs as Granite, right?).
I heard they give an inch more offset stock

Motor does heat up quite a bit already stock with a fan yeah the original badlands would be my go to but idk if any hobbyshop has the,

I heard they give an inch more offset stock
What is the terrain type you bash in, or do you like speed runs?

Now that I think about it, I have the OG badlands 2.8 too, on my Tekno sct bug. ( same size as the Typhon, and I run on 2s/3s) Great tires. I think they are taller than the MX2.8, but narrower. Would be hard to choose between them.
20181201_222806.jpg

I just found out on proline website the badlands original 2.8 are not offered with a 17mm hex option only unglued and putting them on your own wheels and they are discontinued
Now that I think about it, I have the OG badlands 2.8 too, on my Tekno sct bug. ( same size as the Typhon, and I run on 2s/3s) Great tires. I think they are taller than the MX2.8, but narrower. Would be hard to choose between them.
View attachment 84884

I just found out on proline website the badlands original 2.8 are not offered with a 17mm hex option only unglued and putting them on your own wheels and they are discontinued
Now that is a kick in the short and curlies
I do have a fair amount of experience with the MX Badlands 2.8 and I like them.
Definitely a good setup.
The choices are narrowing the field for ya, that's easy enough. Sucks but easy.

So i have been killing my head over my options to improve my typhon handling here are my options:
Option 1: get the badlands mx28 2.8 17mm hexes
Option 2: get the original badlands 2.8 with 17mm hex
Option 3: get the badlands mx m2 buggy tires with 17mm hexes
Option 4: upgrade the pinion and motor mount to 17-18t pinion but the tire problem remains 2 cracked wheels
At my local hobbyshop he has no badlands mx28 with 17mm hexes and they are on out of stock at his distributer isk about the buggy tires and original badlands i want to achive air stability and trigger response in the air the stock tires are just not up to the task anymore with cracked rims already
Hey Surchaufuer,

I had to my setup with the following:
-mx2.8 bandlands with 17mm hexes (also don't forget to the the proper axles)
-18T pinion
-4s metal slipper clutch
I noticed significant delay from stand still and punching the throttle. Unless you are planning on a lower pinion size you'll probably experience the same thing. that is with stock motor. I have removed the badlands for now until I get a more powerful motor and esc.

Hey Surchaufuer,

I had to my setup with the following:
-mx2.8 bandlands with 17mm hexes (also don't forget to the the proper axles)
-18T pinion
-4s metal slipper clutch
I noticed significant delay from stand still and punching the throttle. Unless you are planning on a lower pinion size you'll probably experience the same thing. that is with stock motor. I have removed the badlands for now until I get a more powerful motor and esc.
Its normal even on my 4s kraton if i jam the throttle from dead stop theres a delay. What do you mean by proper axles? Everywhere i have call they don't have the tires im searching so big rip me

Its normal even on my 4s kraton if i jam the throttle from dead stop theres a delay. What do you mean by proper axles? Everywhere i have call they don't have the tires im searching so big rip me
Sorry I forgot to mention I bought the Hot racing 17 hex 10mm extenders. And in order to to use those I had to install different axles. I believe they were the granite but I can't remember.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back