Typhon Turnbuckle Mod

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MBCon18

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Kraton 6s
I recently came up with this simple mod to make the turnbuckles stronger on my 3s Typhon truggy. It was starting to feel like I was bending or breaking at least one tie rod a week and really wanted a tougher option. I decided to use some Arrma 5x50 turnbuckles (AR330214) instead of the standard 4x48 (AR330542) ones, and I've been very pleased with the result.

In order to make the new ones work I slowly drilled out the stock rod ends with a 11/64" drill bit. To ensure I stayed centered I first drilled using a 9/64", then a 5/32", then finished with the 11/64". The new parts assembled exactly like the originals, and its now been two weeks of bashing without a failure. If the plastic ends start to bend I plan to come up with some sort of reinforcement but so far it hasn't been necessary.

One of the best things about this mod is that the stronger parts are only $1 more than the original ones, and are widely available. I hope this helps other people that are having this issue.

Attachments

• IMG_8596.JPG
    IMG_8596.JPG
    242.3 KB · Views: 256
  • IMG_8600.JPG
    IMG_8600.JPG
    175.6 KB · Views: 165
Arrma should have produced this instead would have cost less to peoduce. Instead they spend money to make an inferior part imo i never bent turnbuckle really only twice ussually happened when they were new and had rear camper and hitting stuff with the side makes them bending easy

Well, as luck would have it I had my first breakage today since doing this mod. The cause of the failure was a cartwheel at full speed (20t pinion), and thankfully the failure was not a result of weakness in the new turnbuckle but instead was at the very tip of the link. Overall I'm still very happy with the durability of the mod.

Attachments

• IMG_8619.JPG
    IMG_8619.JPG
    236.6 KB · Views: 86
I may try this. I've bent quite a few turnbuckles on my Granite. I'm using the composite links right now, with some reinforcement, they've been a more durable option to the stock turnbuckles. Another option for you may be Lunsford Titanium turnbuckles. I haven't tried them yet, but they have a lifetime guarantee and they're a straight fit, no modifications needed. A bit pricey.
https://lunsfordracing.com/collections/arrma-typhon-3s

I've never snapped a rod end, I'm a big proponent of Armor All to make plastics more durable.

I got typhon a-arms on both my 3s rides.ive used stock Mojave 6s buckles.work great.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200724-205915_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20200724-205915_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    267.3 KB · Views: 133
  • 15956425221047163588207782964137.jpg
    15956425221047163588207782964137.jpg
    405 KB · Views: 121
and there made with Titanium
The Mojave turnbuckles are not titanium according to the Arrma website:
https://www.arrma-rc.com/part/ARA330601
https://www.arrma-rc.com/part/ARA330602

If you're having trouble with bending/breaking turnbuckles, get the Lunsford titanium turnbuckles. They are SO much stronger. I was bending stock turnbuckles constantly. I've only bent one Lunsford, and it was replaced under their lifetime warranty. And that bent turnbuckle must have been a fluke. All my other turnbuckles have held up to countless crashes. They're expensive, but at the rate I was going through stock turnbuckles, the Lunsfords will probably end up being cost effective.

Well, as luck would have it I had my first breakage today since doing this mod. The cause of the failure was a cartwheel at full speed (20t pinion), and thankfully the failure was not a result of weakness in the new turnbuckle but instead was at the very tip of the link. Overall I'm still very happy with the durability of the mod.
I know it’s been like 3 years, but I got a question about this mod. Did you thread the rod end? Or did you just screw the turnbuckle in to cut threads?

I know it’s been like 3 years, but I got a question about this mod. Did you thread the rod end? Or did you just screw the turnbuckle in to cut threads?
It's plastic the turnbuckle with cut its own threads, put a little bit of chapstic on the turnbuckle it helps it thread in easier.

I recently came up with this simple mod to make the turnbuckles stronger on my 3s Typhon truggy. It was starting to feel like I was bending or breaking at least one tie rod a week and really wanted a tougher option. I decided to use some Arrma 5x50 turnbuckles (AR330214) instead of the standard 4x48 (AR330542) ones, and I've been very pleased with the result.

In order to make the new ones work I slowly drilled out the stock rod ends with a 11/64" drill bit. To ensure I stayed centered I first drilled using a 9/64", then a 5/32", then finished with the 11/64". The new parts assembled exactly like the originals, and its now been two weeks of bashing without a failure. If the plastic ends start to bend I plan to come up with some sort of reinforcement but so far it hasn't been necessary.

One of the best things about this mod is that the stronger parts are only $1 more than the original ones, and are widely available. I hope this helps other people that are having this issue.
I know it's been many years later. what size did you use for the servo link? I been wanting to get titanium turnbuckles but I don't know what to get and I currently have some traxxas end rods that are 4mm so im debating on getting 5mm turnbuckles or get 4mm so they can fix on the traxxas end rods. what do you guys think??

I know it's been many years later. what size did you use for the servo link? I been wanting to get titanium turnbuckles but I don't know what to get and I currently have some traxxas end rods that are 4mm so im debating on getting 5mm turnbuckles or get 4mm so they can fix on the traxxas end rods. what do you guys think??
Lunsford used to sell titanium turnbuckles, they are great, but now they are out of business. I found Avid sells titanium turnbuckles, but I haven’t tried them so I don’t know how they hold up.

I’m currently trying the Mojave 4s turnbuckles, 5mm. The long Mojave turnbuckles are about same size as Typhon/Big Rock, the short ones are same size as Granite. They also come with thicker rod ends.

For the servo link. Hot Racing includes one with their servo saver. I don’t use the servo saver, but the link is great and a perfect fit.

Lunsford used to sell titanium turnbuckles, they are great, but now they are out of business. I found Avid sells titanium turnbuckles, but I haven’t tried them so I don’t know how they hold up.

I’m currently trying the Mojave 4s turnbuckles, 5mm. The long Mojave turnbuckles are about same size as Typhon/Big Rock, the short ones are same size as Granite. They also come with thicker rod ends.

For the servo link. Hot Racing includes one with their servo saver. I don’t use the servo saver, but the link is great and a perfect fit.
Preciate the info! I have some titanium turnbuckle coming soon and see how it goes. I bent an end rod at my last bashing sesh. So I will see how it goes.

Back