Big Rock Two really quick tire questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matflat

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Typhon 3s
Hello Arrma Forum,

Hope you all had a great Xmas and a Happy New Year. I have two quick questions about replacement tires for the Big Rock. We want to have a set of tires for street driving and a set for off-roading.

If I keep the standard 14mm hex, what tires should I look for - offset, drive mounted etc, width, height, diameter - I have no idea what these mean, and can't seem to determine if the stock tires are offset or not. Is there a certain size I should not go below or above to not over gear the car?

If I upgrade to the 17mm hex from the Typhon, which wheels for street and for off-road would work - taking into account the above bit on width, height diameter etc as I don't want to over gear the car or have to change anything else.

Hope you can help.

Cheers,
Mat.

Check out Proline Racing
https://www.prolineracing.com/pro-bs-pick-by-kit-ara.html
Lots of options based directly for your vehicle. You can also go to the tire selector and pick 1:10 monster truck.

If you go with the 17mm hex then the hoons from the infraction and felony are a great option for street tires.
1673012333023.png
Here's an image showing the difference from a positive and negative wheel offset. For diameter the larger you go the faster top speed you will get but will accelerate slower and have more load. Smaller tires will accelerate faster but have a lower top speed.

Last edited:
Grp tires for street for 17mm hex are the all around best. Just need to pick which compound you want to use. If you like grip then go soft if you like a bit less grip then go hard. Medium is an option as well. I tried hoons after only ever using grp and did not like them at all.

For off-road, If you go 17mm or stay 14 I would say get either proline hyrax 2.8 or proline badlands 2.8 (not the belted version in my opinion). They have removable hexes so you can get a 14 or 17mm hex adapter for them

How much are you looking to spend? The sky's the limit here.

Depending on what you want to accomplish for street bashing (what speed, etc), there are options on 14mm that would likely suffice. Duratrax has some options like the Speed Tread or Bandito which can be had for a pretty reasonable price and will get you going with no additional changes needed. For replacement off road tires, if you don't have them already, get a set of Granite tires. They are night and day difference from the big rock tires.

If you go 17mm, you'll have lots of options for on-road tires (as discussed above). However, there aren't many 17mm 1/10 scale off road tires. If you get something like proline which comes with a 17mm adapter, then you can get it to work. However, most native 17mm hex wheels/tires are going to be too big/heavy for the big rock's drivetrain. in addition, the swap to the typhon axles, driveshafts, and hex's is another significant cost to consider.

I just came to comment that I admire that you re considering gearing when changing tires. This is what I didnt know and I wanted other than Arrma tires to save money and it eventually cost me tires + 2 diffs + slipper clutch + a metal diff(installed currently) + rear drive shaft popped(which I popped back but needs replacing).

All this even tho I changed and geared down to 15T on my Vorteks.

Like others said, probably I should have just sticked w Granite tires regardless of their hefty price and would have saved about £200

Like others said, probably I should have just sticked w Granite tires regardless of their hefty price and would have saved about £200

Oof, sorry to hear about the damage. To avoid me making assumptions: is it correct that your problem came about because you went to a larger-diameter tire, and effectively went to a "faster" gear, so presumably the motor over-stressed the drivetrain?

I've been looking at tire options for my vehicle, but most are smaller diameter, if anything, vs stock. So that should help avoid your situation, I think.

Oof, sorry to hear about the damage. To avoid me making assumptions: is it correct that your problem came about because you went to a larger-diameter tire, and effectively went to a "faster" gear, so presumably the motor over-stressed the drivetrain?

I've been looking at tire options for my vehicle, but most are smaller diameter, if anything, vs stock. So that should help avoid your situation, I think.
First time I blew it on the Vorteks stock 18T pinion. But then I bought all pinions from 15 to 18T and I use a 15T now. But this means big torque, big torque vs big traction = something breaks.

So balance is what I miss

Check out Proline Racing
https://www.prolineracing.com/pro-bs-pick-by-kit-ara.html
Lots of options based directly for your vehicle. You can also go to the tire selector and pick 1:10 monster truck.

If you go with the 17mm hex then the hoons from the infraction and felony are a great option for street tires.
View attachment 267798Here's an image showing the difference from a positive and negative wheel offset. For diameter the larger you go the faster top speed you will get but will accelerate slower and have more load. Smaller tires will accelerate faster but have a lower top speed.
Awesome advice @Moonstonemike that’s super helpful.

Grp tires for street for 17mm hex are the all around best. Just need to pick which compound you want to use. If you like grip then go soft if you like a bit less grip then go hard. Medium is an option as well. I tried hoons after only ever using grp and did not like them at all.

For off-road, If you go 17mm or stay 14 I would say get either proline hyrax 2.8 or proline badlands 2.8 (not the belted version in my opinion). They have removable hexes so you can get a 14 or 17mm hex adapter for them
Thanks @StephenSchandelmayer - I shall go take a look at these tires and see if they are in countyr or if I have to do a bulk order of bits and pieces from Aamazon at the end fo the month.
If you don't want to do the whole swap. Traxxas 17mm hexes bolt right on and you can switch easily between 14mm and 17mm that way.
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/cheap-17mm-hex-for-3s-trucks.57827/
@Moonstonemike - this is awesome thanks for the advice and the link.
I just came to comment that I admire that you re considering gearing when changing tires. This is what I didnt know and I wanted other than Arrma tires to save money and it eventually cost me tires + 2 diffs + slipper clutch + a metal diff(installed currently) + rear drive shaft popped(which I popped back but needs replacing).

All this even tho I changed and geared down to 15T on my Vorteks.

@bukshypro - Lots of recommendations for the Granite tires. Think I will get those for off-road and get another option for street driving. We tend to mainly mess around on the street or in a car park. Thanks for your help.
How much are you looking to spend? The sky's the limit here.

Depending on what you want to accomplish for street bashing (what speed, etc), there are options on 14mm that would likely suffice. Duratrax has some options like the Speed Tread or Bandito which can be had for a pretty reasonable price and will get you going with no additional changes needed. For replacement off road tires, if you don't have them already, get a set of Granite tires. They are night and day difference from the big rock tires.

If you go 17mm, you'll have lots of options for on-road tires (as discussed above). However, there aren't many 17mm 1/10 scale off road tires. If you get something like proline which comes with a 17mm adapter, then you can get it to work. However, most native 17mm hex wheels/tires are going to be too big/heavy for the big rock's drivetrain. in addition, the swap to the typhon axles, driveshafts, and hex's is another significant cost to consider.
@Hector_Fisher - great advice. I'm going to look at the Granite for off-road and then perhaps use a 14/17 or 14/12 adapter for the street ones. That way I shouldn't have to get new axle parts etc. Thanks again, you are always super helpful.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back