Typhon Typhon 3s 18t pinion vs stock 15t?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pug

Very Active Member
Hospitality Award
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
  2. Typhon 3s
What’s a good pinion size to get a little more speed, but also be able to bash? 15t doesn’t get that hot so would 18t make it hotter? I am using stock motor and esc, and stock tires mainly, I sometimes use Duratrax Robbers 1/8 buggy tires, they are slightly smaller than the stock tires.

Yes a higher pinion will heat up the motor. You can counter act that with better cooling, a bigger motor, etc.

Yes a higher pinion will heat up the motor. You can counter act that with better cooling, a bigger motor, etc.
Double fan with a splitter should work.

I've run 18t on my Typhon without any issues. It's better than the 15t IMO still as punchy but with more top end.

It's starting to dry out to true spring conditions here in New Zealand and the grass is so grippy my Typhon will pop power wheelies no problem at all with the 18t pinion.

I use 18t on my Typhon too. Both street with Hoons and offroad bashing with the stock tires. I live in FL, so it is always hot, and I haven't had any heat issues with the 18t pinion.

Going from a 15 to 18t on my Granite was noticeably faster but it did heat up a little faster than I wanted. But the Granite has bigger heavier tires. With smaller lighter tires, the Typhon may be OK.

What is the difference in these two 18t pinions??

Looking to pick one up for my Typhon 3S

Option 1

Option 2
I have no idea what mod1 vs mod 0.8 means and don't wanna buy the wrong one, TIA guys 👍🏻
Mod 1 has bigger/wider teeth than mod .8.

The spur gear on your Typhon 3S has mod .8 teeth, so you should buy a pinion that matches. 32 pitch gears are also compatible with mod .8 - it's a different way to measure but they are so close that the difference doesn't matter.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back