Typhon Typhon in the backyard

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris8105

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Thinking about getting a Typhon. Will primarily drive it in the backyard. The grass gets cut once a week so it’s not going to be to high. How will the Typhon do in the back yard in grass? I know it sits pretty low to the ground, that’s my only concern. Am I going to want to upgrade the motor/esc to something that’s not going to burn up in the grass?

I was also looking at the Kraton 6s as well, but like the looks of the Typhon better.

The bottom of the chassis would be rubbing on the grass the entire time. That means slower speeds, worse handling, and higher motor temps.

I would look at something with bigger tires if you’ll really be driving in grass most of the time.

I have a Typhon 3S and Typhon 6S that primarily get used in my yard, which has pretty thick grass. I also cut it around 3.5 inches so it doesn’t burn out.

I was just using both cars with my 9 year old today and they did just fine. The Typhon 3S was actually being used with a 2S pack and 75% throttle for the little guy and it got around fine. The 6S was being used with a 4S pack and was awesome.

That grass height definitely rubs but they don’t bog down at all for me, although that’s probably the grass height limit for these vehicles. I’m tempted to eventually pick up a Kraton and see how it compares in the same environment.

Last edited:
I have a Typhon 3S and Typhon 6S that primarily get used in my yard, which has pretty thick grass. I also cut it around 3.5 inches so it doesn’t burn out.

I was just using both cars with my 9 year old today and they did just fine. The Typhon 3S was actually being used with a 2S pack and 75% throttle for the little guy and it got around fine. The 6S was being used with a 4S pack and was awesome.

That gras heigh definitely rubs but they don’t bog down at all for me, although that’s probably the grass heigh limit for these vehicles. I’m tempted to eventually pick up a Kraton and see how it compares in the same environment.
Your last statement is the kicker here. Sure, the Typhons do fine, but trucks with bigger tires do so much better.

I'm planning on driving my Typhon on slightly "gnarlier terrain" than perfectly flat tracks etc. What I did was to order some Tallon tires/wheels for it to get a bit more ground clearance. They are supposed to fit without modifications as far as I'm aware. Haven't tried it yet so I can't say if it will help the car in your conditions, just throughing it in as an option/idea for you!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back