Typhon Mega needs a boost

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ben&Sons

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Typhon 3s
Hi, my Typhon brushed needs a bit more kick but need to stick with NiMH so son can charge and use without blowing anything up. Was looking at the ‘Absima brushless combo set - thrust BL ECO 210002’ which includes the motor and esc and supports NiMH and lipo.

Has anyone used this in a 1/8th scale, is it a drastic improvement on the standard brushed motor and are there any modifications I would need to do?

appreciate any help / support or other NiMH based recommendations that will give the Typhon a decent boost.

cheers 👍🏻

If sticking to Nimpacks, Just upgrade to a better Brushed motor or just change the Gearing, (2T larger pinion.)
No one uses Brushed setups in 1/8 scale. So its hard to make any comparison. FYI.
Don't waste your money on BLX, all to run on a Nimpack. Makes no sense at all. Run time will take a hit. Gearing needs to be adjusted. Just doing things backwards.
Converting to BLX requires more than ESC and Motor. The drivetrain of a Mega cannot handle BXL. Will need upgrades as well. Just need to plan on this.
Better off buying a 3s BLX 4x4 as a second rig. More cost efficient than upgrading all. Many do this.
Many buy the Mega for the low price and then realize speed is lame. You are not alone. Just that there are no shortcuts to what your objective is.

I would upgrade the Brushed motor to a better brushed one, with a Lower Turn count over stock or change the pinion gear out to a larger one. You will get some more speed. You are basically limited by the Nimpack. Like it or not.
Why are you averse to Lipos ? Don't be afraid.
My 11 yo has grown to understand them. Started in this hobby when he was 6yo. Nimpacks were for his ToysRus Toy Rc's.
Just make sure you charge them and handle them, if you are concerned. Lipos are safe if you care for them properly.
Perhaps you need to learn more about them?
Just my spin.

Last edited:
Seriously appreciate your advice there...!

Son is only 4 so way off being responsible to charge and discharge, couldn’t trust the misses either...haha...!!

Will stick with what I’ve got and not go too crazy with trying to upgrade. Thought as the absima conversion can take NiMH, being brushless, I could run 8.4v 5000mah packs to get a bit of a boost and run time over the brushless the Typhon comes with. As it wouldn’t be a huge boost, kinda hoped the drive train would be fine as not trying to hit BLX 3S levels with it...

Back