Typhon Typhon vs Granite Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LipoShirly

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite Grom
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Typhon 3s
  4. Voltage
How does the Granite get away with the bigger 2.8 MT tires, but when I truggify the Typhon with 2.8 Badlands I can't run more than a pack or 2 before breaking something in the drive train? I realize the biggest problem is on the transmitter side of the radio, but looking at the Granite drive train I see that its pretty much identical , except for the 12mm hubs. I was constantly breaking driveshafts with the bigger tires, is that a common problem with the Granite? Are those Dboots Fortress wheels that much lighter than the Prolines?
edit: just googled Granite broken driveshafts....

Last edited:
Diameter wise, unless I'm reading the specs wrong, both the Dboots and the Prolines are 5 inch (128mm). The Prolines are definitely heavy, is there a 17mm equivalent to the Dboots on the Granite? Spur gear adjustment seems OK, I've only shredded 1 of those but that was from having the slipper a little too tight.

The Granite tires are really light.
If you break driveshafts it's most likely the slipper adjustment as it should give under load.

Sorry i'm not familiar with other options for lighter wheels.. maybe it would be cheaper to buy 14mm axles and hexes?

The granite fortress and 2.8 badlands are very close to the same. I run 17mm adapters on my granite (with typhon arms), and I have used both the 2.8 badlands and the thin typhon tires with no issues. Maybe you have some hub bearings out?

Only issue I could think of is the longer arms and drive shaft. Longer shaft more torsional force?

Maybe Typhon is a bit heavier too because of the lwb chassis?

Only issue I could think of is the longer arms and drive shaft. Longer shaft more torsional force?

Maybe Typhon is a bit heavier too because of the lwb chassis?
Shouldn’t be any of that. My granite has aluminum typhon arms and a 1/8” aluminum support bash bar on the bottom. My gearing is all metal, and I put in the tower to tower brace. I have had zero driveshaft issues with all the extra weight.

My recommendation is to tear down and check every bearing. I have been surprised to find I had some seized hub bearings.
Also pull the diffs and make sure they are turning smoothly. What specifically have you broken?

The Granite tires are really light
I'm guessing this has more to do with my problem than anything else. As mentioned , I'm terrible at controlled driving, I tend to pin the throttle and forget to let up as the wheels come back into contact with ground.

I've run the the 2.8 mts and regular badlands on both my Typhon and Granite with no issues regarding the drive train. Even when upgrading to 4s

I've run the the 2.8 mts and regular badlands on both my Typhon and Granite with no issue
I've been running one Typhon with the badlands, and one with stock , so far no problem with either.... but I'm also controlling my desire to just pin the throttle all the time....

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back