Notorious V5 Stock Spur Gear

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dizzle

Reaction score
How many teeth is the stock spur gear? I remember the original Outcast I had I put a Tekno spur gear on it maybe 16 tooth came stock and I put 18 tooth on it and then it felt like it was running much smoother. Has anyone ever had this experience changing the spur and then it feels like it’s not binding as much and running really smooth? Maybe I’m crazy... 🤪

Thank you for clarifying yes pinion gear and perhaps different pinions do mesh better?

The gear pitch is the same. Your V5 comes with the Safe-D pinions I believe. It comes with a 12 and a 16. These are bit different shape inside and wider too so it’s much easier to get the pinion aligned and meshed properly. Step one is to put the speed pinion on (16T) that came with the truck, but if running off-road you will need a heatsink and fan on your motor or you will overheat. If you want a different size than 12 and 16 I would order an Arrma Safe-D pinion, they are objective better than regular pinions.

Thank you for clarifying yes pinion gear and perhaps different pinions do mesh better?
Np man.

Pinions shouldn't mesh better from one to the other, mod1 or 48pitch or whatever your running, in this case mod1. If the pitch is the same between pinion and spur its all up to the user or factory install to get the mesh correct.

Just want to clarify that.

Thank you! I was having a little issue getting enough wheel spin to complete backflips in the air so I stiffened up the center differential oil. If I do change to the 16T pinion which fan would you recommend for the motor?

Thank you! I was having a little issue getting enough wheel spin to complete backflips in the air so I stiffened up the center differential oil. If I do change to the 16T pinion which fan would you recommend for the motor?
The PowerHobby duals fan work well, you will need to put some tinfoil on the bottom plate it comes with to prevent it from sliding about.

Anything else that fits good?
I am trying different solutions while it is cold outside. I live in Ottawa, Canada, and it was -20 C this morning, so I'm not really trying much for fans. I have a V4 Notorious but with a Surpass motor in it right now with a smooth can - like your smooth 40mm Spektrum. I don't have a heatsink, I just mounted a high volume 12v fan to blow a ton of air over the can and I'll see how it performs once it isn't negative one billion degrees. ;)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back