Granite Voltage chewing spur gears.. upgrades?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jruss9190

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Voltage
What’s up guys, and gals. I’m new here and bought my 8 year old son a granite voltage. Thing is running good, but I’m chewing spur gears left and right, all it takes is a good run through some tall grass and the spur gear is toast. Made no changes to it, stock out of the box.

I’ve been looking for an aluminum or steel upgrade but I can’t seem to find a direct replacement.

Any Ideas?

Well no I did buy a 2s Lipo battery for it. And the actual spur gear I believe. The gear that mates directly with the motor. I’ll post pictures later today

Have the same ploblem with my two kids trucks.....anyone found any stronger gear that fits?? Maybe from a different model....

Its not so much the plastic spur gear as the cause, but the poor alignment of the stock motor plate that twists under load and mis-aligns with the pinion under that load. A steel spur has advantages, but doesn't solve the mis-alignment under load issue. Heat also becomes an issue and the plastic spur self destructs fast. This happens to many. Especially when bashing hard or on thick grass along with high powered lipos.:)

You need an upgraded Billet alum. motor mount.

Last edited:
Yeah that is the problem. I noticed a small gap where the motor mounts and the space in between the gears. I loosened the motor mount screws just a little and took a flathead screwdriver to pry the motor toward the spur gear and close the gap. Made sure the teeth looked tight and tightened the screws back up. Stopped the chatter and saved the spur gear from grinding down to nothing again lol. Was able to turn the power up a little and got some good runs in. I’ll look into the aluminum motor mount so I’m not spending 5 bucks every other run through some tall grass lol. My sons getting better at driving it and soon will have to keep the speed control at full power or he’s gonna get bored ?

If there is send me the link so I don’t have to worry about my son bashing his rc too hard... if there is such a thing ?

Don't believe there is an upgrade for it. In fact OE parts support seems to be limited. Don't know why.
But a better motor plate is in order.
No one else chimed in yet....:confused:

Don't believe there is an upgrade for it. In fact OE parts support seems to be limited. Don't know why.
But a better motor plate is in order.
No one else chimed in yet....:confused:

What limits the voltage is the chassis being just a two piece mold that is the battery tray/main chassis, motor mount, diff housing, and shock tower braces. One thing breaks and you replace it the whole thing and also means very little if any upgrade capabilities drivetrain wise without it making it a grenade waiting to go off haha.

But that's what keeps costs down and making it as affordable as it is.

I don't know. Whats worse? A rig that costs more and breaks less. Or a rig that costs less and breaks more. I think its simple math.
I don't know about you, but it gets stupid expensive to keep throwing money into somethings that always has inherent breakage flaws. Keep buyng parts that appear designed to break. Counterintuitive to me. That's all I mean :rolleyes: Some Rigs are just money pits more than others. Less upgrade support than others. The popular rigs/Brands get the most aftermarket support in general. Just my observation for many years in Surface RC. Not down playing any specific brand or model. Just the Hobby industry in general. Its a pattern I see.
RC's are designed to be repaired. And know we want to fix them. But many MFR's take it to the next level and make a cheap RTR knowing they will only make profit on parts. So they design rigs that way. like Traxxaass for instance. Every rig's profit margin is calculated by parts replacement revenue, not so much revenue on the RTR itself. Newcomers take time to learn this. I was a new comer like all of us were at one time. Still love this hobby, but see it for what it is worth. And it can be expensive. It was for me when I started out. I know.

Last edited:
I don't know. Whats worse? A rig that costs more and breaks less. Or a rig that costs less and breaks more. I think its simple math.
I don't know about you, but it gets stupid expensive to keep throwing money into somethings that always has inherent breakage flaws. Keep buyng parts that appear designed to break. Counterintuitive to me. That's all I mean :rolleyes: Some Rigs are just money pits more than others. Less upgrade support than others. The popular rigs/Brands get the most aftermarket support in general. Just my observation for many years in Surface RC. Not down playing any specific brand or model. Just the Hobby industry in general. Its a pattern I see.
It's a time tested marketing and sales strategy. Make it cheap to get em hooked, once hooked they will keep coming back for more.

I started with the voltage because it was an Arrma but it was so cheap. Once I got it I had a blast, but I wanted more. Finding out it didn't have a lot of upgrade potential I looked at what else Arrma made that did. Then I got the 3s granite and had a blast but I knew it could be better, so I upgrade it over time. Now I look at it my 300 dollar truck is now a 500 dollar truck, but is it as good as a RTR truck I could get for 500? Nope, now the cycle repeats and I've just manage to convince myself that spending 500 dollars on a toy car is a good idea and totally can justify it.

Started out as 100 dollars, then 300, now 500. It's easy to see why drug cartels follow the same business model.

You were smart. It was a stepping stone for sure. Got your feet wet. You can justify as your wallet permits. Great point. I've seen many, even friends who always saw me having a blast with RC. They wanted to try. Many never got hooked and just called it a waste of $$. Many had me as a crutch to help them and wouldn't learn to fix them And don't mind, but they didn't feel the return on investment was good. I tried to explain the fun factor as a clean hobby. They saw me having a blast and would admire it, but when they owned one, things were different. And others don't get it, that's all. RC is not for everyone. Although RC marketing presents it like that sometimes.:)

You were smart. It was a stepping stone for sure. Got your feet wet. You can justify as your wallet permits. Great point. I've seen many, even friends who always saw me having a blast with RC. They wanted to try. Many never got hooked and just called it a waste of $$. Many had me as a crutch to help them and wouldn't learn to fix them And don't mind, but they didn't feel the return on investment was good. I tried to explain the fun factor as a clean hobby. They saw me having a blast and would admire it, but when they owned one, things were different. And others don't get it, that's all. RC is not for everyone. Although RC marketing presents it like that sometimes.:)
My profession has me sitting in an office all day so during my off time I like to do things with my hands so I constantly have a project of some kind. When certain hobbies started becoming too expensive (cars, guitars, guns) I found that RC checks all the boxes for me at a fraction of the price point compared to what I was doing. Yeah some think its a waste of money but I know people who actually bought YouTube premium, subscribe to OnlyFans pages, and buy a 6 dollar Starbucks twice a day. So yeah I don't take much stock in what others say when it comes to how I enjoy to spend my money lmao.

My profession has me sitting in an office all day so during my off time I like to do things with my hands so I constantly have a project of some kind. When certain hobbies started becoming too expensive (cars, guitars, guns) I found that RC checks all the boxes for me at a fraction of the price point compared to what I was doing. Yeah some think its a waste of money but I know people who actually bought YouTube premium, subscribe to OnlyFans pages, and buy a 6 dollar Starbucks twice a day. So yeah I don't take much stock in what others say when it comes to how I enjoy to spend my money lmao.
I agree. Scale cars have me busy also. Ironic that some parts for my Crawlers cost almost as much as 1:1 scale. For instance shocks and even metal bumpers, and scale winches. :)

I agree. Scale cars have me busy also. Ironic that some parts for my Crawlers cost almost as much as 1:1 scale. For instance shocks.
I have 1 crawler and it's the Redcat Gen8 Scout II but it's going to stay as stock as possible. Anything crawler related seems to be crazy expensive. I mean so maybe you can get up a rock thingy better, tip over less, turn slightly better etc. I just can't see spending hundreds of dollars on upgrades just to pick up it less when it falls or gets stuck. Plus it's a super slow vehicle to begin with so how do you even really notice there's a difference lmao.

I have 3 crawlers myself . I get it. First one, my Axial Honcho 2 put in $500.00.
A friend who got the bug got a TRX4 sport and I ended up with it for free. He gave up. He kept breaking the most stupidest things. Driver error for the most part. I kept fixing it. He just gave it to me. I would never had bought it. Its ok in the end. It was a challenge and another $400 in aftermarket parts to dial it in. My 3rd Crawler is an Axial Deadbolt 2. I added lights and changed out the wheels and rubber. That's It. I refused to pay another cent. And it works as good as the other 2.
I agree about crawling. Its rather mundane in the sense that all the upgrades don't really add up to any performance in the end. They just look nice on the shelf. Expensive paperweights. :LOL:
BTW, my Avatar is a clear Notorious body I painted, and it fit onto the TRX4 with a driver. I love the paint job. Just not the rig. But it fit perfect.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back