Vorteks Vorteks, Granite, 3s or Boost?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt888

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Need some opinions please, I'm trying to decide I want to buy a couple of bashers for myself and my 10yo Son.
I've owned a couple of bashers before but sold them on. I can't decide which is the best option, 1st of all 3s or Boost to start with, I will upgrade the Boost so should I just buy the 3s in the first place?
2nd I've narrowed it do to 2 cars Granite and Vorteks I love the look of both, are they both good bashers, which one is stronger, because my boy will definitely "Send it" as he says.
I've heard that the wheels on the Vorteks are a bit week, is this right?
I have got a Hobbyking 120amp esc with a 3900kv motor that I removed from a basher previously, would that be OK in a Boost if I just used 2s Lipo and converted it into 4wd and put a wheelie bar on the back?

Buy 3s or mt10s which have center diff

Boost will cost you more in long run. But can be fun for yard racing. Not a whole lot else. Good to learn on. But get 3s run on 2s and dial it back on remote if still too fast to start with

Will need 3s to backflip. And I'd say granite or mt10. Unless you want to race more. Then get the vortex

3s for the reasons mentioned above.

And after having owned the vorteks, I would vote granite or big rock. I bought the vorteks because I thought it looked better and it had AVC. But realistically I never ended up using the AVC, and I ended up wishing got the higher ground clearance and larger tires of the other models.

The vorteks shocks are also a weird length, making it challenging to source aftermarket parts.

The larger tires of the granite will also make it easier to flip and/or control in the air.

I also suggest going straight to the 3s avoid the Mega and Boost.

Buy 3s or mt10s which have center diff

Boost will cost you more in long run. But can be fun for yard racing. Not a whole lot else. Good to learn on. But get 3s run on 2s and dial it back on remote if still too fast to start with

Will need 3s to backflip. And I'd say granite or mt10. Unless you want to race more. Then get the vortex
Just chiming in to address the need for 3s to backflip the Vorteks, I only run on 2s so far, the Spektrum pro basher 6200 120c, got 4 of them and I can tell you, it backflips all day on 2s, even on 75 percent on the transmitter, though it was a slow backflip at 75,....even does front flips (y)

Just chiming in to address the need for 3s to backflip the Vorteks, I only run on 2s so far, the Spektrum pro basher 6200 120c, got 4 of them and I can tell you, it backflips all day on 2s, even on 75 percent on the transmitter, though it was a slow backflip at 75,....even does front flips (y)
Is it brushed or brushless. 2wd or 4x4?

I'm still learning maybe it's possible. But never figured the vortex to be able to. Granite. Sure. I have 2 vortex. But the boost. Set em up like buggies to race.

Last edited:
Go 3S for sure and start your kid on 2S.

Granite for trick jumps and general messing around. BigRock for better stability at speed. Vorteks for going stupid fast on smoother terrain.

I have a Granite and a Vorteks and I truly enjoy both, but for different reasons. I think I may prefer the Vorteks, as I find the twitchyness (is that a word?) of the Granite can get a bit annoying. I have a Kraton 6S for chunky terrain.

Go 3S for sure and start your kid on 2S.

Granite for trick jumps and general messing around. BigRock for better stability at speed. Vorteks for going stupid fast on smoother terrain.

I have a Granite and a Vorteks and I truly enjoy both, but for different reasons. I think I may prefer the Vorteks, as I find the twitchyness (is that a word?) of the Granite can get a bit annoying. I have a Kraton 6S for chunky terrain.
So do you think I should get a 3s for myself and a Boost for my boy? Convert the Boost to 4wd and put the 120amp brushless combo into it, and run it on 2s?

So do you think I should get a 3s for myself and a Boost for my boy? Convert the Boost to 4wd and put the 120amp brushless combo into it, and run it on 2s?

Nope, I would just get the 3s and run it on 2s. Or just buy 3s packs to start with and turn down the throttle until he gets used to it. That way you're not buying 2s packs to start, then buying 3s packs down the road.

Have you priced out how much it would cost to buy the Boost, convert to 4x4, then convert to brushless?

@Matt888

I agree. Just go 3S. Easy to dumb it down, and you have all the growth with the 3S as he advances and yourself. Brushed is costly to make it a 3S BLX vs dumbing a BLX down is easier.

I bought the brushless Vortex for the 4yr granddaughter. I wanted to keep it 3S as she gets better over time. What I did to the Vortex, you can do to the Granite:

Put a 13T pinion in it, no cogging
Run it on 2S only
I reduced the throttle power on the radio

She loves it, and it is still a 3S when I need to bump it up for her or myself.

Like other have said, I'd skip the Boost and go straight to the 4x4 3S model. Just limit the power for your boy if he can't handle 3S.

One option would be to buy a Granite and a BigRock or (Vorteks). That way, you will have some diversity. All models drive quite different, so it's quite a lot of fun to test them side-by-side.

Spare parts management is also something to conside, buying two Arrma 3S models could be a good idea. The 3S line share lots of common parts, so that limits the number of spares you will need to keep.

You're forgetting gears.... better ones to handle it. Some say the 91 tooth works.

Ah which gears would that be? Looks like the diff in the Boost is the same PN as the diff in the BLX version, and the 3S upgrade comes w/ spur and pinion?

Don't even know anymore. ... but usually a less tooth mod 1 spur and mod 1 pinion. And maybe the 4s diffs. Eventually.

I really considered it. And bought a new car instead. Jennys helps with the price. But still a lot for just upgrading

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back