Notorious What am I missing?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

22sglide

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Notorious
Hey guys so I've had my notorious for about 2months or so and Ive had to change out the front diff due my error. Anyways I replaced it with an Aluminum diff and the truck was fine for a day or so and now it doesn't move. everything spins but it wont really go anywhere. Its kinda like if a slipper clutch is to loose. Ive pulled the front center and rear diffs apart and there isnt any broken gears or anything out of the ordinary. What else can it be?

Hey guys so I've had my notorious for about 2months or so and Ive had to change out the front diff due my error. Anyways I replaced it with an Aluminum diff and the truck was fine for a day or so and now it doesn't move. everything spins but it wont really go anywhere. Its kinda like if a slipper clutch is to loose. Ive pulled the front center and rear diffs apart and there isnt any broken gears or anything out of the ordinary. What else can it be?
Check the center diff too. I had a issue w my Notorious. The stock plastics are ok but it was off or something & bound up & burned the center diff. Maybe it's caught on one side? Idk. It sits in aluminum one side plastic other. Mine was all chewed up on the plastic. But maybe there is a front drive input bound? Hitting the steer plate? Bent driveshaft? Idk.

maybe the pinon popped off?
No thats what I first thought because it happened like 10 minutes after I first ran it but it was tight
Check the center diff too. I had a issue w my Notorious. The stock plastics are ok but it was off or something & bound up & burned the center diff. Maybe it's caught on one side? Idk. It sits in aluminum one side plastic other. Mine was all chewed up on the plastic. But maybe there is a front drive input bound? Hitting the steer plate? Bent driveshaft? Idk.
The center diff looks to be fine all the gears are intact and all the inputs move freely without binding up or anything

Turn motor by hand, does it turn?
Remove center diff, can you turn front and rear? Center diff ok?

By now, you can isolate into the issue.
Motor turns
Center diff turns
Front and rear diffs turn

One bad CVD maybe only binding when steering?

I would say you lost a drive pin somewhere on one of the output cups.. the pins can and do snap without splitting the satellite gears.. bound enough to turn everything by hand, but on the ground under load that cup will slip in the bore of the satellite...

Only way to check without pulling it down is to lock up the center diff.. hold 3 wheels on the ground and lift one wheel at a time and spin it.. if one spins free that's the culprit cup..

This is all assuming your pinion on the motor shaft is tight... If it's a D bore pinion then the pinion is for sure not the issue..
Also be sure to pay attention to what is spinning if one is free.. if the dog bone or cvd is turning it's the output cup pin.. if just the wheel is moving it's a stripped hex or snapped hex pin.. 👍

Hold it on a bench and goose it. (Keep kids and pets at bay, void where prohibited) What turns, what doesn’t? If no wheels have drive it must be coming from the center. I’ll bet your center driveshafts don’t turn. Hold the spur with your thumb and roll it (powered off, of course) and I’ll bet it doesn’t turn. If it does, it’s your pinion or your motor.

Hold it on a bench and goose it. (Keep kids and pets at bay, void where prohibited) What turns, what doesn’t? If no wheels have drive it must be coming from the center. I’ll bet your center driveshafts don’t turn. Hold the spur with your thumb and roll it (powered off, of course) and I’ll bet it doesn’t turn. If it does, it’s your pinion or your motor.

Hold it on a bench and goose it. (Keep kids and pets at bay, void where prohibited) What turns, what doesn’t? If no wheels have drive it must be coming from the center. I’ll bet your center driveshafts don’t turn. Hold the spur with your thumb and roll it (powered off, of course) and I’ll bet it doesn’t turn. If it does, it’s your pinion or your motI d

I did that and the center diff turns and the center drive shafts turn but nothing else
I would say you lost a drive pin somewhere on one of the output cups.. the pins can and do snap without splitting the satellite gears.. bound enough to turn everything by hand, but on the ground under load that cup will slip in the bore of the satellite...

Only way to check without pulling it down is to lock up the center diff.. hold 3 wheels on the ground and lift one wheel at a time and spin it.. if one spins free that's the culprit cup..

This is all assuming your pinion on the motor shaft is tight... If it's a D bore pinion then the pinion is for sure not the issue..
Also be sure to pay attention to what is spinning if one is free.. if the dog bone or cvd is turning it's the output cup pin.. if just the wheel is moving it's a stripped hex or snapped hex pin.. 👍
Okay I tried lifting one wheel at a time and they all turned and each drive shaft turned with the wheel. So thats those pins right?

Last edited:
I did that and the center diff turns and the center drive shafts turn but nothing else

Okay I tried lifting one wheel at a time and they all turned and each drive shaft turned with the wheel. So thats those pins right?

I would say you did that test wrong.. the object is none of them should spin.. the one that does is the bad pin side.. did you lock up the center diff?.. that is crucial..

Agreed, you are doing it wrong. If everything is solid and fine you wouldn't have an issue.

a) Motor shaft is solidly connected to pinion?
b) Center diff- hold one side and turn the other, is the force transferring? If yes, it's good and move on.
c) Insert front dog bone (center diff to front input cup but no center diff installed, put the wheels on ground and turn that shaft by hand. Does it require force and wheels pull the rig forward? If yes, issue is not in the front, move on with life.
d) Rear shaft - same procedure as front.
If nothing has failed so far you have no issue.

My money is on those input shaft cups, they come loose easily and spin on the input gear shaft.

Agreed, you are doing it wrong. If everything is solid and fine you wouldn't have an issue.

a) Motor shaft is solidly connected to pinion?
b) Center diff- hold one side and turn the other, is the force transferring? If yes, it's good and move on.
c) Insert front dog bone (center diff to front input cup but no center diff installed, put the wheels on ground and turn that shaft by hand. Does it require force and wheels pull the rig forward? If yes, issue is not in the front, move on with life.
d) Rear shaft - same procedure as front.
If nothing has failed so far you have no issue.

My money is on those input shaft cups, they come loose easily and spin on the input gear shaft.
Okay I will try that thank you

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back