What are the advantages of hot racing aluminum center diff cup?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Finfan88

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Besides bling... They don't leak? Or do they dissipate heat? Anyone seen an improvement from stock diff? I'm currently running a arrma talion v3.

I use them because I run in gravel and I always get rocks caught up in there. Also they don't need retightening all the time. The plastic ones seemed to back out more often and leak a little.

I run them on all 3 diffs. They seal better and are very true dimensionally. I had issues with a couple plastic ones getting warped causing audibly noticeable gear noise when driving. I’ve never had this with the metal ones. I had one get cut down to the screws from the set screw in the front of the diff cover working it’s way in. No loktite. When I opened her up it looked like a machine shop floor.

I managed to break the end of the stock plastic cap out of my front diff and the housing on my center diff melted enough that I couldn't get the guts out without prying while held in a vice.

Needless to say- both are being replaced with HR cups.

0c1e8515-9536-44e2-b787-1ba954e01c83-jpeg.33742

f2183f80-0fa5-4c21-b3b9-a0bd1675cf19-jpeg.34861

My center diff constantly leaked, I replaced all the seals, all the gaskets and the diff cup three times and the damn thing still leaked. I stuck a GPM diff cup in the center with the used seals and gaskets and no more leaks. I would not use the GPM diff cups inside the gearbox cases for the front and rear, they are slightly larger around than the stock ones and can cause issues with the pinion hitting the diff cup. Watch this video and you will see what I am talking about.

Not to mention that Arrmas plastic is rather hit or miss as far as quality goes in my own experience, the plastic really varies from batch to batch of parts, when I got my Outcast I had so many plastic parts that had stripped out screw holes or wore out very fast. I replaced those parts with new stock parts that have outlasted the originals. I have had brand new gearbox cases where as you would rotate the diff it would bind in one spot or physically hit the inside of the gearbox case.

Last edited:
Like @dusty said, I use one for the center because of rocks getting wedged under the diff cup, and grinding grooves all the way through the plastic. I haven't had any issues since installing the HR cup. I guess it's just a pulverizing rock crushing machine now lol.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back