Hot Racing rear differential Leaking

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deceased

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
Hello Im currently having a lil problem with my diff. Its leaking just a tab bit on only one side and I have open it TWICE already and everything seems fine at first the gears weren't meshing right so I fixed that and on the final time I fixed it the gears were much better. The oil stilled leak thoe from the same side. Im not sure what it is. If someone could give me some pointers it would be
much appreciated TIA.

tempImageAiDe6u.jpg
tempImageaYWrim.jpg
tempImagecEMJzv.jpg

I know this is going to sound like a stupid question but did you put the gasket back in or replace the old one?

I know this is going to sound like a stupid question but did you put the gasket back in or replace the old one?
I used the same one I don't have a spear one. Plus I don't want to buy a whole part just for the gasket. Unless I can contact HR for a gasket haven't tried that yet.

That is really odd, those come with a silicone O-ring right? Might be damaged or you might have a bad surface, either way you are going to have to dig a little on that one.

I used the same one I don't have a spear one. Plus I don't want to buy a whole part just for the gasket. Unless I can contact HR for a gasket haven't tried that yet.
Oh it comes with one, for some reason I thought it reused the stock one. Does it use a gasket or one of those really super thin orings? Getting individual parts for stuff from Hot Racing isn't always that easy. When I contacted them about the mounting hardware that comes with their shocks for the Traxxas 2wd line they said they didn't sell it as a part but offered me 50% off a new shock set.

That is really odd, those come with a silicone O-ring right? Might be damaged or you might have a bad surface, either way you are going to have to dig a little on that one.
correct it comes w a silicone O-ring
Oh it comes with one, for some reason I thought it reused the stock one. Does it use a gasket or one of those really super thin orings? Getting individual parts for stuff from Hot Racing isn't always that easy. When I contacted them about the mounting hardware that comes with their shocks for the Traxxas 2wd line they said they didn't sell it as a part but offered me 50% off a new shock set.
thats cool! I will def email them to see what they can do to help me out.

That is what I was thinking those o-rings suck I have some Hot Racing 2 part diff cups for my 6s rigs and those friggin orings are the bane of my existence. If you don't get them seated just right they don't sit in the grove then the diff leaks, it always takes me like 20 minutes to get that oring seated right. I like the Arrma aluminum ones to be honest. Not sure about the 3s ones but the Arrma 6s aluminum diff cups are much better than the Hot Racing ones because they use the stock paper gaskets.

That is what I was thinking those o-rings suck I have some Hot Racing 2 part diff cups for my 6s rigs and those friggin orings are the bane of my existence. If you don't get them seated just right they don't sit in the grove then the diff leaks, it always takes me like 20 minutes to get that oring seated right. I like the Arrma aluminum ones to be honest. Not sure about the 3s ones but the Arrma 6s aluminum diff cups are much better than the Hot Racing ones because they use the stock paper gaskets.
Oh men so you telling me I have to reopen that thing and mess w the O-Ring again! its leaking just a bit nothing like the pics I posted. I left it leaning a certain way over night and when I checked it the following day in the morning it had a lil pool of just oil so some aint right lmao

Seems like a larger O-ring/grooves would have been really nice here.

Oh men so you telling me I have to reopen that thing and mess w the O-Ring again! its leaking just a bit nothing like the pics I posted. I left it leaning a certain way over night and when I checked it the following day in the morning it had a lil pool of just oil so some aint right lmao
If you overtighten the screws it presses the oring out of place and can cause a leak too. What diff cup did you buy the only one I can find doesn't come with an oring. https://hot-racing.com/?partnumber=ATF11A01;c=1345

If the leaking originates from one of the two diff cup areas the culprit most likely is an o-ring. If it’s from the ring gear/diff case it’s most likely the gasket.
I needed either two Arrma gaskets or one Tekjo gasket to stop the leaking on the Fireteam’s aluminium center diff.
1702013231852.png

I was going to advise when I first saw the photo and problem at hand but you guys did a great job (not that you need my validation, mind you).

Nice. Indeed 👌🏻

If the leaking originates from one of the two diff cup areas the culprit most likely is an o-ring. If it’s from the ring gear/diff case it’s most likely the gasket.
I needed either two Arrma gaskets or one Tekjo gasket to stop the leaking on the Fireteam’s aluminium center diff.
View attachment 335881
So in this case which one do you recommend and can you please put the link to it? I have no idea which one to even look for

Tekjo can only be bought on Ebay:
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p4432023.m570.l1313&_nkw=tekjo&_sacat=0
They are about 50% thicker than tock Arrma gaskets and feel pretty solid.

The Arrma gasket part number for your car is in the manual/exploded view that came with the car (or downloadable on Arrma website, most likely relatively easy to get in a LHS (website).

Don’t forget to check if the edge of the aluminium diff case is smooth, otherwise do a gently wet sand with a high grit sandpaper. You don’t want a sharp/rough edge that can damage a gasket.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p4432023.m570.l1313&_nkw=tekjo&_sacat=0

The Arrma gasket part number for your car is in the manual/exploded view that came with the car (or downloadable on Arrma website, most likely relatively easy to get in a LHS (website).

Don’t forget to check if the edge of the aluminium diff case is smooth, otherwise do a gently wet sand with a high grit sandpaper. You don’t want a sharp/rough edge that can damage a gasket.
So I get the one from Tekjo I wouldn't need the O-ring anymore bc their gaskets lays on the case and not on the gear side? ik sounds like a dumb question.

Im currently looking at Tekjo ones right now and the housing for the HR doesn't seem to match up

Screenshot 2023-12-08 at 10.15.11 AM.png

So I get the one from Tekjo I wouldn't need the O-ring anymore bc their gaskets lays on the case and not on the gear side? ik sounds like a dumb question.

Im currently looking at Tekjo ones right now and the housing for the HR doesn't seem to match up

View attachment 335916
I’m not sure the diameter of that HR diff, but the style looks to be similar to the (Kraton) EXB diff. If you measure it you could send the Tekjo seller a message.

The Tekjo gaskets any replace the stock gaskets, you’d still need the o-rings and internal shims.
We have a saying on this forum: the only dumb question is the one you don’t ask.😉

He has an Arrma 1/10 4x4 not a 1/8th scale, I am pretty sure those won't fit.
So in this case which one do you recommend and can you please put the link to it? I have no idea which one to even look for.

I would contact Hot Racing and see if they can send you an oring also ask them for the dimensions of the oring. If they can't get you a new oring you might be able to source a different one from Amazon or eBay hopefully.

He has an Arrma 1/10 4x4 not a 1/8th scale, I am pretty sure those won't fit.

I would contact Hot Racing and see if they can send you an oring also ask them for the dimensions of the oring. If they can't get you a new oring you might be able to source a different one from Amazon or eBay hopefully.
Thank you for this info :)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back