What springs to use on a Kraton XL?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KnowAir

Very Active Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 8S
  2. Kraton EXB
  3. Mojave EXB
I put together 2 rigs from my KEXB and Mojo EXB.. I used the Kraton suspension on the Mojo chassis and have retained the Mojo bumpers. Overall, both run pretty well, I prefer the Krajave thus far. The Kraton XL is just too soft in the suspension. I've been trying to sort through the spring options on Arrma's site.. boy, either I'm an idiot, or whomever designed their site is.. Perhaps both? IDK 🤔
There is just no clear way to search optional springs for say, a 6s KEXB? I was also interested in seeing what is used on, and available for the FT since the Kraton XL has much in common with the FT..
Well what the heck? Apparantly the mega minds at Arrma decided they should start using different methods for rating springs? So, comparing Kraton spring rates to FT requires us to convert units of measure!? Oh boy..
Anyone know of an easy method for a meathead like me to be able to see/compare option springs available for the Kraton and FT?
Thanks😁

Try running FT Black springs?:cool: Use the FT Rear springs on all 4's? Your rig must be pretty heavy? The FT is the heaviest of all the Arrma 6s line. FT springs may just do it.
Arrma does offer upgrade springs. In addition to the FT springs, maybe you can simutaneously thicken the shock oil and /or use pistons with smaller holes? Try laying down the shocks? Extend your shock droop more? some ideas...

Last edited:
Try running FT springs?:cool:
I was trying to research just that.. to compare spring rates between the FT and K6EXB.. which is when I discovered that Arrma has changed their units of measure for spring rates. Why? Why not acrossed the board? IDK.
Also, the springs for the FT are listed to fit the K6 v5, but not the EXB? Weird..
If only Arrma gave us an option to sort the springs by models..what an idea right🤔🤷‍♂️🤣🤣
Try running FT Black springs?:cool: Use the FT Rear springs on all 4's? Your rig must be pretty heavy? The FT is the heaviest of all the Arrma 6s line. FT springs may just do it.
Arrma does offer upgrade springs. In addition to the FT springs, maybe you can simutaneously thicken the shock oil and /or use pistons with smaller holes? Try laying down the shocks? Extend your shock droop more? some ideas...
I haven't weighed it. I'm running a vxl8s with 4092 on 6s, mojo bumpers, Redcat Shredder body. It should be right in the ballpark of an FT I would think? I was running 50wt in the shocks on the K6EXB. Was a bit too fast, but worked pretty well on track. Not bashing these, but just having fun on my track. The XL is just too soft, I put 80wt in the shocks, helps control the wallowing, but springs seem too soft. Rear shocks mainly, I have laid them over as far as possible to clear the body..

Last edited:
Yeah I also noticed even years back Arrma referred to the stock springs rates differently than their Option part springs. So stupid of Arrma/HH.
I tried to convert inch pound rates to metric. Just to decide which option springs to buy. Doesn't translate well. That's how you can obviously see Arrma is not any top brand in regards. I judge the Spring rates by using my Caliper to check spring's "coil diameter". It works best for me. I have bins full of springs for all amy 6s rigs here. Only because I ended up buying all the sets just to try out, one set at a time.. Gets expensive doing it by trial and error.:rolleyes:
FWIW, I just measured my FT front spring having a 1.76mm diameter. Check yours.

>>>>Generally, the wider the diameter of the spring coil wire, the firmer the spring is, IMHO. How I usually gage a spring's rate, when comparing springs. A rough way of doing it, but has worked for me. Some higher end Brand racing kits do it this way with their springs. I am sure Arrma is not that concerned about precision, being a basher brand. Lest they have much control of their outsourced parts in general.

Edited.

Last edited:
Thanks, I grazed through quickly, but I see theres quite a bit of info in that thread.. definitely dig in when I have time👍
Yeah I also noticed even years back Arrma referred to the stock springs rates differently than their Option part springs. So stupid of Arrma/HH.
I tried to convert inch pound rates to metric. Just to decide which option springs to buy. Doesn't translate well. That's how you can obviously see Arrma is not any top brand in regards. I judge the Spring rates by using my Caliper to check spring's "coil diameter". It works best for me. I have bins full of springs for all amy 6s rigs here. Only becuase I ended up buying all the sets just to try out, one set at a time.. Gets expensive doing it it by trial and error.:rolleyes:
Yep, me too. I have a "bin of springs"..and use the caliper as well to measure wire diameter. Too hard to store them separately 🤣

I have put fireteam shocks on a couple XL builds and it was just the ticket 👌🏻

Plus I like killing the red sometimes so, the black shock bodies were great too.
It's a great idea.. especially considering both sets of (my) shocks are way overdue for a rebuild..
I did some spring research. Turns out the easiest way to source Arrma springs on their site is the search bar.. type "shock spring 85mm", or whatever length you need. All variations of that length spring appear in a drop down box..
K6EXB stock is 85mm, 6.2 lb/in front. Rear is 95mm 5.0 lb/in.
FT is 85mm 6.91 lb/in front. Rear 95mm 5.54 lb/in..
Options are easy to see using the above method.
Thanks guys👍🍻

If you are all into tuning the shocks. Also use the TLR Typhon shock bottom cartridge and its X-rings and the machined "Tapered" Delrin pistons. Make them Emulsion instead of Bladder types and you will see a big difference.

If you are all into tuning the shocks. Also use the TLR Typhon shock bottom cartridge and its X-rings and the machined "Tapered" Delrin pistons. Make them Emulsion instead of Bladder types and you will see a big difference.
I'm not.. more like close is good enough, LOL.
I hear the emulsion setup requires more maintenance/attention? If true, I'm out🤷‍♂️😁🤣

Yes emulsion is not for the faint of heart. PIA. Benefits a track rig mostly. But those guys are opening their shocks almost every day. And before every race day. Bladder is best for bashers. More consistent. Just usually not as plush. Bladders are set and forget for the most part. Emulsion changes with ambient temps etc. Because air is mixed with the oil by design. So shocks don't stay matched to each other in pairs. Just a PIA. I have equal experience with both types. I only bash now.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back