What type of paint should I use for bulk heads and side guards

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chowmein

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton EXB
  2. Kraton 4s
  3. Typhon 3s
Looking to paint the bulk heads and the side gards and s few other parts . What type of paint should I use. Primer etc etc

Honestly it will look good at first but once run and bashed. Will start to look like crap. Not sure what color ur looking for but my opinion aftermarket colored parts plastic or aluminum. But that’s all up to you.
There is a lot of Anodized candy paints out there. Depending on what color ur using the primer comes into effect to make it pop more.

I would never even attempt to paint any of the parts for an rc car other than the body. Every time I have seen someone's rattle canned rc car it always looks really bad especially after it has been run a few times.

The only "paint" I would even think of using is SEM Color Coat but even that would probably flake off and look like crap after a few packs.

Short story long don't do it as @TRAT said just buy the parts already colored from an aftermarket company.

Looking to paint the bulk heads and the side gards and s few other parts . What type of paint should I use. Primer etc etc
I’d recommend spending a few dollars and buying a cheap aluminum bulkhead. They have them in many colours like black, silver, blue, and red. Yes they are not extremely cheap like paint but you are upgrading a part and getting some bling out of it. You can do the same thing with chassis braces, servo mounts, and shock towers.

For color coding you can also get wire braid/covers. I just did a full rebuild on my outcast and it’s almost done. Here is what I did. Keep in mind you can get all these silver parts in whatever color you want. I would just watch out for shock towers because some are really soft meaning they bend easy. Off topic but don’t get silver screws like I did. They are stainless steel and I am in the process of switching them out with 12.9 grade screws.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I’d recommend spending a few dollars and buying a cheap aluminum bulkhead. They have them in many colours like black, silver, blue, and red. Yes they are not extremely cheap like paint but you are upgrading a part and getting some bling out of it. You can do the same thing with chassis braces, servo mounts, and shock towers.

For color coding you can also get wire braid/covers. I just did a full rebuild on my outcast and it’s almost done. Here is what I did. Keep in mind you can get all these silver parts in whatever color you want. I would just watch out for shock towers because some are really soft meaning they bend easy. Off topic but don’t get silver screws like I did. They are stainless steel and I am in the process of switching them out with 12.9 grade screws.

View attachment 330277

View attachment 330278

View attachment 330279

View attachment 330280
This looks a million times better than spray paint.

Just look for paint that says it is specific for plastic. I don’t know that primer is required. You could rough it up with sand paper if it’s real slick. Bodies are smooth and the paint sticks on them. Painted part will look bad after bashing and getting dirty but it’s your ride. I stopped buying colored parts a long time ago because they look so bad after some wear. If it ain’t silver I strip it before installing it. Good luck and please post pictures of what you paint. Hell maybe you’re on to something we all can learn from!✌️

Plastidip holds up well on wheels so I’m sure it’ll keep well on other components, the nice thing is touch ups blend well and overspray can easily be peeled off.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back