What's murdering my SR315 receivers?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

modex20

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Lotta variables here. Kraton 6s V5. Stock servo stopped working and seized up. At the same time, the stupid power button the SLT3 controller broke. I had a backup SLT3 controller that came with a Senton and servo from a Kraton 4s V2 (same servo).

Put the new servo in. Bound the receiver to the backup controller. Turned it on and seemed fine. Moved the steering left and right a few times then the receiver turned off. It was dead. Nothing I did could bring it back to life. Tried hitting the bind button three times again. Tested the voltage from the ESC: 7.35V.

Replaced the SR315 receiver with the SLR300 receiver from the senton. Booted up and bound to the SLT3 just fine. No issues - had it in the truck for about a week.

Put in a warranty claim for Servo, Controller, and Receiver. Controller came first- included an SR315. Popped in the SR315, turned on the new Controller it came with. Lights up- happy truck. Go into endpoint adjustment mode, start moving the steering. Receiver turns off and never comes back on.

This truck has now claimed two SR315s but the SLR300 seems to be okay for now. What the hell is going on? Somehow the SLR300 seems to be more resilient to whatever hidden fault is present but who knows for how long. Can a servo kill certain receivers? Is it the ESC and how has the SLR300 survived.

As luck may have it, Horizon processed the receiver and controller warranty claims separately, so an SR315 receiver arrived in its own package today. But I'm afraid to install it into that poison truck because I have no idea what killed the last two receivers.

Ordered a DumboRC X6 and X6FG kit from Amazon as backup. But this is still bugging the hell out of me.

Last edited:
That's so strange. I've heard that servos going out can cause receivers to burn out.

I'll be following this thread, hopefully there's a resolution.

I saw an old thread that died a while ago with no resolution. I might wait for the DumboRC kit to arrive first and see what happens.

This is absolutely vexing.

Last edited:
it's wet sometimes but i cleaned and dried the truck - i leave it next to the dehumidifier.

Ok, very odd, but some ideas.

1. The old servos burn out quickly as a side-effect they draw an access amount of current which is fed through the receiver. That could burn out traces/components on the receiver board itself. That could explain the first series of events.
Take all these old servos and throw them away, only advice I can give.

2. You mentioned 'damp/wet' that is an absolute killer for receivers, and it doesn't take much. If the receiver gets moist, you get instant corrosion on the underside of the receiver board, and it will kill the receiver quickly. Prevention is CorrosionX spray, soak it. It stinks but drives out moisture and leaves a film that protects.
No idea if this specific receiver did get wet, only you would know.

Do not get Dumbo, it has self centering issues, else it's fine.
Radiolink RC6GS(?) is my recommendation.

I'm using several Spektrum receivers without issues but the AVC ones drive me nuts, take forever to link up and are in general annoying.

Ok, very odd, but some ideas.

1. The old servos burn out quickly as a side-effect they draw an access amount of current which is fed through the receiver. That could burn out traces/components on the receiver board itself. That could explain the first series of events.
Take all these old servos and throw them away, only advice I can give.

2. You mentioned 'damp/wet' that is an absolute killer for receivers, and it doesn't take much. If the receiver gets moist, you get instant corrosion on the underside of the receiver board, and it will kill the receiver quickly. Prevention is CorrosionX spray, soak it. It stinks but drives out moisture and leaves a film that protects.
No idea if this specific receiver did get wet, only you would know.

Do not get Dumbo, it has self centering issues, else it's fine.
Radiolink RC6GS(?) is my recommendation.

I'm using several Spektrum receivers without issues but the AVC ones drive me nuts, take forever to link up and are in general annoying.
Dumbo rc has centering issues? Never noticed that ever on mine
I did hear someone blowing up stl3 receiver when he tried to switch to another signal its marketed to be able to.
Thats why i Removed my outcast 4s v2 radio system for an older stl3 system. I believe the receivers are different

As luck may have it, Horizon processed the receiver and controller warranty claims separately, so an SR315 receiver arrived in its own package today. But I'm afraid to install it into that poison truck because I have no idea what killed the last two receivers.

Ordered a DumboRC X6 and X6FG kit from Amazon as backup. But this is still bugging the hell out of me.
I have also had issues with two Spektrum receivers, specifically the SR6110AT where others have not. I had two just randomly die on me for no reason. Thankfully Horizon is good about the warranty support like you mentioned. I plan on purchasing a RadioLink cause like you I am apprehensive to put it back in my vehicle.

Waiting to hear back from HH. Sent them as much info as I could. I just wish I had the foresight to record the initial powerup and test. Then the whole thing would have been captured for all to see.

I have a new stock servo and SR315 that I'm going to test together. In order to eliminate the ESC from the equation - I'm use a 6V NIMH battery to power the receiver and servo. I'm doing everything in increments and recording everything along the way in case something happens. I have zero trust in this spektrum electronics at this point.

So far I have gotten it going with the 6V battery. Here's my video of what I've done so far. The next step is to hook it up to the ESC. I'm probably going to start with a single 3S battery and verify the BEC output (I've already done this just not on video). Then include the servo and see if everything is good. I'm still a little hesitant to do this, but I can't think of anything else to try before including the ESC.

I hooked it all up and adjusted the endpoints as shown here:

Everything was going well for a few runs until today it died mid turn. I opened it up to find the servo hyper extended and the receiver dead.

1681942700081.png

My guess is the servo went limp after the receiver died. And the forces of the truck rolling mid turn with a limp servo pushed the linkage to the way I found it.

Why are Spektrum electronics like this?

Last edited:
Your guess is as good as mine @dure16
I’m completely dumbfounded at this point. Waiting to hear back from HH.

Lotta variables here. Kraton 6s V5. Stock servo stopped working and seized up. At the same time, the stupid power button the SLT3 controller broke. I had a backup SLT3 controller that came with a Senton and servo from a Kraton 4s V2 (same servo).

Put the new servo in. Bound the receiver to the backup controller. Turned it on and seemed fine. Moved the steering left and right a few times then the receiver turned off. It was dead. Nothing I did could bring it back to life. Tried hitting the bind button three times again. Tested the voltage from the ESC: 7.35V.

Replaced the SR315 receiver with the SLR300 receiver from the senton. Booted up and bound to the SLT3 just fine. No issues - had it in the truck for about a week.

Put in a warranty claim for Servo, Controller, and Receiver. Controller came first- included an SR315. Popped in the SR315, turned on the new Controller it came with. Lights up- happy truck. Go into endpoint adjustment mode, start moving the steering. Receiver turns off and never comes back on.

This truck has now claimed two SR315s but the SLR300 seems to be okay for now. What the hell is going on? Somehow the SLR300 seems to be more resilient to whatever hidden fault is present but who knows for how long. Can a servo kill certain receivers? Is it the ESC and how has the SLR300 survived.

I'm currently having this issue. Slt3 has killed 2 sr315 and 2 sr215 (I know sr215 isn't the recommended receiver but it pairs just fine). The last 3 died on the bench. Even had the hobby store reps install it just so folks can see I'm not crazy. I just got back 30 minutes ago from the last sr315 purchase/exchange. It died just before I found this thread. I dug out an old stx2/srx200 and it's working just fine. I'm curious if the tx is the issue. I even tried a spare firma 150 esc to be sure it wasnt the problem... same issue.

I have also had issues with two Spektrum receivers, specifically the SR6110AT where others have not. I had two just randomly die on me for no reason. Thankfully Horizon is good about the warranty support like you mentioned. I plan on purchasing a RadioLink cause like you I am apprehensive to put it back in my vehicle.
Same. I'm up to 7 recievers in 4 years. 2 sr6100at, 3 sr315 and 2 sr215. The first sr315 at least made it a year, but was paired to my dx5c instead of the slt3 like the others. The last 3 died on the bench.

Wow... I have not lost one spektrum RX/TX yet...🤞

The transmitter can't be the cause. No idea what's going on but my money is on a manufacturing defect.
That's where I'm leaning. But 3 of the recievers were in the last 72 hours. I'm leaning on returning the sr315 and just throwing in a dumbo rc, 3pv or radiolink. Haven't had an issue with any of those 🤷🏿‍♂️. Not happy that others are having the issue, but nice to know I ain't the only one haha
Wow... I have not lost one spektrum RX/TX yet...🤞
Spektrum is the only one I've ever had an issue with 😩. But, they have always handled the warranty 🤷🏿‍♂️

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back