Grom What's the availability of the Granite Grom 1/18?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamwins

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite Grom
  2. Outcast 4s
  3. Typhon TLR
I've been looking for a mini truck like the 1/18 granite. I have seen a couple on Ebay that are little more than I'd prefer to pay. The shops online all say "Not purchasable until Jan 1". And what are some of y'all's experience/opinion on the truck compared to the traxxas 1/18 ?

a

It’s exclusive to hobby shops for right now to get people into local businesses and spend money the old school way. It’s leaps better than any traxxas mini. Its an arrma tough truck that has been shrunk down. Thats it. It even has steel axles unlike its brother the Granite 3S. Solid little toy.

I don’t have the traxxas to compare but It’s a great truck! Lots of people will probably go brushless however it’s pretty great straight out the box. My only complaint is how hot the brushed motor gets. I need to let it cool down about 3 times during a pack. A fan on the motor would help tremendously.

It’s exclusive to hobby shops for right now to get people into local businesses and spend money the old school way. It’s leaps better than any traxxas mini. Its an arrma tough truck that has been shrunk down. Thats it. It even has steel axles unlike its brother the Granite 3S. Solid little toy.
Thanks for the tip! It looks like there are 3 in stock just a couple of towns over. Was surprised to find we have a brick and mortar hobby shop around these days. I know where Im going tomorrow.. cheers

a

I've been looking for a mini truck like the 1/18 granite. I have seen a couple on Ebay that are little more than I'd prefer to pay. The shops online all say "Not purchasable until Jan 1". And what are some of y'all's experience/opinion on the truck compared to the traxxas 1/18 ?

a
I bought mine online. I’ve come across several shops that are willing to ship them regardless of it being an “in store only” item.

From what little bit of drive time I’ve had with mine, it’s actually really good.

Tires have no foam, which it could use a little foam imo, the 380 brushed motor actually has tons of power for the truck and doesn’t run hot. The steering servo is quick and is pretty good for turning the wheels.

Overall, it’s another well made Arrma product. After vacation this next week, I’m going to order a brushless combo and see about running some 1/16 Erevo tires on it, the Erevo tires are slightly larger and might be a good tire alternative but will have to see after some testing.
I don’t have the traxxas to compare but It’s a great truck! Lots of people will probably go brushless however it’s pretty great straight out the box. My only complaint is how hot the brushed motor gets. I need to let it cool down about 3 times during a pack. A fan on the motor would help tremendously.
Your motor gets hot? My trucks motor was warm after I ran the lipo down to cut off, about 24 mins. I will be getting a fan installed with a brushless upgrade of course.

a

I have 2 traxxas small scales. While I don't have the grom I can speak about the traxxas... They're fun to me like any other small scale but they are very fragile.
I don't and won't recommend them to anyone.

Brushed motors tend to run hot.. how hot is that thing actually getting on you? I'm curious. I've never checked the temps on any of our little brushed rigs but I feel like I should just for a comparison 🤔

Your motor gets hot?
how hot is that thing actually getting on you?
I checked it with the temp gun the first couple time I used it and it said 220-230°F 😵 The chassis underneath felt like it was gonna melt.. 🤣 So now I give it a few breaks with a little fan I made to run off a jumper pack. Only takes a min to cool back down with the fan.
Giving it the beans indoors on carpet so… 🤷‍♂️

I checked it with the temp gun the first couple time I used it and it said 220-230°F 😵 The chassis underneath felt like it was gonna melt.. 🤣 So now I give it a few breaks with a little fan I made to run off a jumper pack. Only takes a min to cool back down with the fan.
Giving it the beans indoors on carpet so… 🤷‍♂️
I'll run a couple diff similar trucks tomorrow and check em. I'm curious now 😅

Just got mine at my LHS earlier this week and ripped it around for the first time tonight. They had about 16 of them and said they had sold about 12 already. It's fun and my 3 year old loves running after it. Seems pretty well built and so light I'm not too worried about breaking parts if I clip a kitchen chair.

I had it at 50% power so things were not warm at all. I'll check temps another day. Now trying to decide if a 100 watt laptop charger would nuke the battery or if the charger is smart enough to throttle and only demand what it can take? The manual does say 18W+ lol

Just got mine at my LHS earlier this week and ripped it around for the first time tonight. They had about 16 of them and said they had sold about 12 already. It's fun and my 3 year old loves running after it. Seems pretty well built and so light I'm not too worried about breaking parts if I clip a kitchen chair.

I had it at 50% power so things were not warm at all. I'll check temps another day. Now trying to decide if a 100 watt laptop charger would nuke the battery or if the charger is smart enough to throttle and only demand what it can take? The manual does say 18W+

Your laptop power supply/charger will not nuke the battery. It will charge the battery at its safest allowable rate. This is due to whats called variable power demand; different operations on a laptop ie: charging battery, standby, or running high performance apps all require different amounts of power so it adjusts accordingly to efficiently handle the demand while prolonging battery life and protecting poop from over current.
I have had the Grom now about 3 weeks and i dig it. its a fun little truck to run inside as well as out. Ive been impressed with its durability and performance. Glad I asked about this and was able to find one locally.

a

IMG_1830.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back