Senton Why aren't short-course trucks and buggies the basher platforms of choice?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SCT: a few examples, not all must be 100% correct
-Big Body with much air under it - not easy for big airtime jumps
-tiny Wheels - not the best air control
-no rear wing to protect the rear of the body when landing upside down/on the rear
-much dirt inside the chassis, because of the bodystyle

But they are very cool and one can have a lot of fun with it

The way I see it, short course trucks and buggies have the following durability advantages over monster trucks and truggies:

1. Their wheels and tires are lighter, meaning less strain on drivetrains and less leverage on A-arms and suspension components;

2. Their A-arms are generally shorter, which adds durability;

3. For short-course trucks, their bumpers and bodies cover them almost entirely, providing some toughness. For buggies, their handling is so good that they tend to land on all fours, helping them survive.

It seems to me like SCTs and buggies would be natural chassis choices for bashers. So why aren't they (seemingly) as popular as platforms like the Kraton and Outcast? Keeping in mind that I have no sales data from Arrma to back up my claims about popularity.
Like everyone else mentioned here, SCTs aren't perfect. Everything on your list of pros was a durability factor. But what about performance? They are outcornered by buggies, out jumped by MT's, and out-accelerated by ST's.

Bashing can't just be about durability, cause the most durable RC is the one that only goes 5mph and doesn't have any performance. Bashing also about speed and agility.

I think the SCT has it's place for sure though. For example, my next truck will either by a tekno SCT410 or a Mojave EXB!

I think it's the other way around. I love the look of the Mojave.

The Mojave isn't a short course truck. So your point is moot.

Screenshot_20240321_084846_Chrome.jpg

My last venture into bashing RCs was stadium trucks with a slash and HPI 1/12 scale thing. Ended up with a trucks I couldn't run certain places, especially sand. A chassis full of sand and small tires seemed to equal expensive trip to the hobby store. You can take a monster truck to almost any place and have fun. Even 1/10th scale monster trucks have a huge advantage with just 4-5" tires and an extra bit of belly height. This is why I bought a Slash giving up on the hpi scale trophy truck and it didn't hook me.

Gorgon was like crack, which opened the door from my usual 1-2 scale crawlers to 4 monster trucks in a few months.

I am about to order a Kraton 6S Exb, but I have been procrastinating for a couple of months now. I know that you get the most for your money, so you don't need to spend a lot in the long run. But I just don't like the look of the body, so hopefully it will be possible to switch later to something else.

I don't even plan on jumping it. But I'm pretty new to RC so maybe I will like it once I try it. I like the Mojave because it seems to ride more realistically. It's just that I don't want to buy a 6S Mojave now and then the Exb comes out or something. It's almost the same price as the Kraton Exb here in Sweden. 100 euro difference.

I am about to order a Kraton 6S Exb, but I have been procrastinating for a couple of months now. I know that you get the most for your money, so you don't need to spend a lot in the long run. But I just don't like the look of the body, so hopefully it will be possible to switch later to something else.

I don't even plan on jumping it. But I'm pretty new to RC so maybe I will like it once I try it. I like the Mojave because it seems to ride more realistically. It's just that I don't want to buy a 6S Mojave now and then the Exb comes out or something. It's almost the same price as the Kraton Exb here in Sweden. 100 euro difference.
Keep an eye on the classifieds section here.. @joostin420 sells K6 rtr's new for $449 pretty routinely. If you don't plan a lot of jumping, the $700 EXB may just be overkill. ✌️

Keep an eye on the classifieds section here.. @joostin420 sells K6 rtr's new for $449 pretty routinely. If you don't plan a lot of jumping, the $700 EXB may just be overkill. ✌️
Interesting, thanks. I'll probably go for a new one because I like to support my local shop, and have warranty. I mean I don't intend to jump it at first, but who knows, I might like jumping after I get confident.

I was also looking at the Kagama, but I don't like how it seems to wheelie as soon as you pull the trigger. I see that people are upgrading to metal parts anyway, so I thought I'd rather get the Exb that already has the upgrades.

Interesting, thanks. I'll probably go for a new one because I like to support my local shop, and have warranty. I mean I don't intend to jump it at first, but who knows, I might like jumping after I get confident.

I was also looking at the Kagama, but I don't like how it seems to wheelie as soon as you pull the trigger. I see that people are upgrading to metal parts anyway, so I thought I'd rather get the Exb that already has the upgrades.
Fair enough brother. The ones @joostin420 sells are new, sealed in box I'm quite certain. I imagine warranty is in tact also. Buy local makes sense too. Good luck, be sure and let us know if/when you get that shiny new toy!! We love seeing "newborns"!! 😀😉👍

Wait...what?

SCTs ARE my basher platform of choice!
Nothing wrong with that! Bashing is whatever we want it to be.. no rules, just have fun!!

Thanks. I will do that.🙂 This looks like a great community to be a part of.
I think so too. Some good folk up in here!! :cool:

I had a Mojave 6s EXB and a Tekno SCT410.3.. my brother (and bash partner) refuses to buy an SCT/Desert truck.. so, I converted the Mojo into a Kraton XL and SCT410 into what I'm calling an MT410 (which I also have/had).. I love the SCT's too, but when my bro and I get together to "race", he has nothing that matches up..
So, to recap, I currently have no SCT/Desert trucks, but can revert back at any time, and I bought an MT410, but converted it into an ET48 for track.. along with a dozen or so other rigs that are in my rotation. Life IS good!!:)

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with that! Bashing is whatever we want it to be.. no rules, just have fun!!

I think so too. Some good folk up in here!! :cool:

I had a Mojave 6s EXB and a Tekno SCT410.3.. my brother (and bash partner) refuses to buy an SCT/Desert truck.. so, I converted the Mojo into a Kraton XL and SCT410 into what I'm calling an MT410 (which I also have/had).. I love the SCT's too, but when my bro and I get together to "race", he has nothing that matches up..
So, to recap, I currently have no SCT/Desert trucks, but can revert back at any time, and I bought an MT410, but converted it into an ET48 for track.. along with a dozen or so other rigs that are in my rotation. Life IS good!!:)
Booooo.

SCT 4 lyfe!!! :p

Debatable. It's got A-arms on all sides. It's a SCT in my opinion. No matter what Arrma calls it.

One word. ProLine.

Having independent rear suspension or solid rear axle does not determine whether or not a vehicle is a short course truck or desert truck though there have been numerous irs rc desert trucks over the years. Normally short course bodies are basic and simple like the body on the Senton while desert truck bodies normally have driver figures and a roll cage inside the body, bodies usually look more like a real truck, more realistic bumpers, spare tires and some even have mirrors.

And yes there are some good looking bodies for the Slash mainly the ones that look like real trucks, the Megladon and the Vw bug.

Having independent rear suspension or solid rear axle does not determine whether or not a vehicle is a short course truck or desert truck though there have been numerous irs rc desert trucks over the years. Normally short course bodies are basic and simple like the body on the Senton while desert truck bodies normally have driver figures and a roll cage inside the body, bodies usually look more like a real truck, more realistic bumpers, spare tires and some even have mirrors.

And yes there are some good looking bodies for the Slash mainly the ones that look like real trucks, the Megladon and the Vw bug.
True. But sadly, I'm a jerk and I just do not care lol

True. But sadly, I'm a jerk and I just do not care lol
Me either.. desert truck, sct, whatever. They all behave the same as far as rc's go. Obviously the solid rear axle rigs behave differently..
As @slick2500 said previously, they all sound like a garbage can on wheels!! LOL I totally agree. Love them, but they do sound like garbage, LOL.
I'll be back with an sct for sure at some point. The Kraton XL doesn't do much for me TBH. I will probably rebuild it back to a Mojo.

Well, the UDR (IMO) is actually a whole different class because of its rear axle.
Goes with the Losi BR and SBR.

Back