Kraton Why is it that the fire team has the only metal case center diff?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dales396lt4

Very Active Member
Military Veteran
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Felony
  2. Infraction
  3. Limitless
  4. Kraton 8S
  5. Kraton 6s
  6. Kraton EXB
  7. Kraton 4s
  8. Outcast 8s
  9. Outcast EXB
  10. Vendetta
  11. Voltage
  12. Infraction 4x4
I was looking at upgrading my Center diff on my K6s EXB v1. when I was searching through parts. I found that the only metal case center diff in a RTR car is the fire team. Why is this? I wonder why this is not a standard piece of equipment in the EXB.

I think it has to do with the hand brake, when you use the hand brake it locks up the rear which forces the center diff to move all the power to the front which in turn causes the centre diff to get hot enough to melt the plastic diff cups. We'll that's my theory anyway.

I would agree with your concept, except my infraction comes With a handbrake as well and a plastic center diff. The things that make you wonder.

Well, I ordered it off of Jenny’s. Now, If my limited slip internals will fit, which I’m sure they will.

Last edited:
I thought the EXBs would all come with something like part #ARA311118. I only have the K6 V5 and I installed it in mine.

1000002174.jpg

After reading posts about the composite center diff case melting on Arrma 6s vehicles, I converted the center diff on my Kraton 6s to the Arrma aluminum and steel case right after I bought it a couple of years ago. I did the same on my Infraction 6s shortly after I bought it in February of this year.

Edit: all three of my Corally 6s vehicles came with metal center diff cases similar to the Arrma steel and aluminum diff cases. One thing better on the Corally diff case - they come with flush screws rather than the round head screws on Arrma diff cases.

So far I’ve upgraded my Felony, the limitless comes with a spool, so don’t need to worry about that. Now I only need three more..🙄

I've converted my K6 & N6 center diffs to aluminum because of the melting issue with the composite ones, I've had it happen. I have a spare unopened Arrma aluminum diff ready for the Infraction 6s in case I have a issue. Maybe it will hold up, I cleaned it out & filled with 200k.

I would agree with your concept, except my infraction comes With a handbrake as well and a plastic center diff. The things that make you wonder.

Well, I ordered it off of Jenny’s. Now, If my limited slip internals will fit, which I’m sure they will.
No the EXB internals will not fit into he Fireteam center diff. You should have just bought the $20 aluminum 29mm diff cup https://a.co/d/bIQ8Grt

Well, I need two more so the other two will be the cheaper. Done I ordered one. Going to wait and see I want to compare the two.

I have not had any plastic cases melt that I can recall but I like to run thick/full diff fluid :cool:. Not a whole lot of diff action happening.

Pretty sure the FT metal case was due to the handbrake. IMO any RC with a mechanical handbrake and lighter weight center oil should have a diff with bearings on the outdrives.. Metal sleeves were not really meant to handle continuous work load.

This was about year & half ago. I had my Noto about 4 months & I was running on 6s in grass & doing jumps & wheelies. I had read on the forum before I got the N6 RTR, to always check RTR diffs for fill. I did not. Lesson learned. ✔️

20230213_200256.jpg

WOW that’s crazy. I’ve never had a problem with the center differential melting, but I do like the idea of having the metal diff cup.

Right but as we all know the plastic holds up to proper use. If you fill the metal case wrong as in under fill or too light diff fluid for use it will still heat up and ruin other parts around it if any covers are plastic if the stationary support is not upgraded to aluminum it will melt and distort bearings etc. No matter the diff you don't want it to transfer too much for too long. Just thought id throw that in there not that you guys weren't probably aware of that. Obviously in the fireteam it has its use.

Right but as we all know the plastic holds up to proper use. If you fill the metal case wrong as in under fill or too light diff fluid for use it will still heat up and ruin other parts around it if any covers are plastic if the stationary support is not upgraded to aluminum it will melt and distort bearings etc. No matter the diff you don't want it to transfer too much for too long. Just thought id throw that in there not that you guys weren't probably aware of that. Obviously in the fireteam it has its use.
All good. You're absolutely right. I learned that day. It did get into the motor mount & scarred it & chewed up the front plastic one. I didn't check the RTR fill.

All of my 6S cars, I’ve been upgrading from the plastics stand for the differential and I’ve been upgrading to metal differentials. I Just think these things should’ve came in the EXB especially.

I have 500K in my Infrax 6S center diff and it was definitely leaking a bit after a few rounds with the handbrake. I need to upgrade my center with the aluminum one and a new gasket.

MSRP was also the most for a 6S RTR from Arrma at over $700 USD initially, 729-749 IIRC?

Back