Grom Wow. These things are TOUGH!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xjeepguy

Super-Secret Yarmaluthe
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
ArrmaForum Fan
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Notorious
The maiden voyage of my 6800kv Castle swapped Grom ended very poorly. Tbh, I expected much worse, but she’s broke lol.

Was running it on a sealed blacktop surface, that was wet, which was stupid, I know. I estimate it was going about 45mph when it met this head on.
IMG_1534.jpeg

It smacked that steel roller, and I thought it’d be totaled. But it wasn’t. This is all the damage it took. Broken shock tower, front body mount, and bent a shock shaft. That’s it.
IMG_1532.jpeg

IMG_1535.jpeg

IMG_1533.jpeg

I have to hand it to Arrma, they built a tank of a mini basher.

Oh crap. That shock tower is part of the chassis. 😳

No biggie. It’s ordered. $14.99 for a whole chassis. 🤣

Salvage that chassis for my dissection!? 😁

For Tex's Salvage & RC Repair Shop 🤣

Last edited:
Wow, it took that impact like a champ. Sucks the shock towers are apart of the chassis tho.
It's rather common on 1/18 scale vehicles to have parts molded into other parts. At least with this you can order a diff without having to order half of the car.

Wow, it took that impact like a champ. Sucks the shock towers are apart of the chassis tho.
Not a big deal, I can swap the chassis out in no time flat, and it was only $15. Not too bad. I actually drove the truck around a bit after the crash. What a great little truck.
Salvage that chassis for my dissection!? 😁

For Tex's Salvage & RC Repair Shop 🤣
Actually, I have plans for that chassis. 😬
It's rather common on 1/18 scale vehicles to have parts molded into other parts. At least with this you can order a diff without having to order half of the car.
Exactly. It’s easy to change out too.
Did you inquire about the warranty? 😂
I’m sure they have a dumpster clause in there somewhere. 🤣

Not a big deal, I can swap the chassis out in no time flat, and it was only $15. Not too bad. I actually drove the truck around a bit after the crash. What a great little truck.

Actually, I have plans for that chassis. 😬

Exactly. It’s easy to change out too.

I’m sure they have a dumpster clause in there somewhere. 🤣

With my Ecx Ruckus 1/18 if I would break a shock tower I have to order either one of these. I would also have to order one of these if I stripped out the crown gear or internal gears in the diff or if I wanted to do something as simple as replacing the diff gasket...................🤷‍♂️

https://www.horizonhobby.com/product/assembled-transmission-front-1-18th-4wd-all/ECX212000.html
https://www.horizonhobby.com/product/assembled-transmission-rear-1-18th-4wd-all/ECX212001.html

With my Ecx Ruckus 1/18 if I would break a shock tower I have to order either one of these. I would also have to order one of these if I stripped out the crown gear or internal gears in the diff or if I wanted to do something as simple as replacing the diff gasket...................🤷‍♂️

https://www.horizonhobby.com/product/assembled-transmission-front-1-18th-4wd-all/ECX212000.html
https://www.horizonhobby.com/product/assembled-transmission-rear-1-18th-4wd-all/ECX212001.html
That’s nuts. At least Arrma makes it a lot cheaper to fix your rig.

Sort of want a grom but for indoor use.
They’re perfect for that. I have 3, and the two bone stock ones rarely leave the house. No upgrades needed, and you can make a killer little ramp out of a Walmart folding table and a throw pillow lol.

The hinge pins aren’t bent? 🤯

Edit: After looking at the photos again, it appears the brunt of the impact was on the shock tower.. 😮
Amazingly tough!! 👍

How do you like those HR shocks on there? I watched YT where they changed them out to the Arrma aluminum shocks and the guy stated they weren't any better than the original shocks that it came with.

The hinge pins aren’t bent? 🤯

Edit: After looking at the photos again, it appears the brunt of the impact was on the shock tower.. 😮
Amazingly tough!! 👍
No damage other than the bent shock shaft and the shock tower. I’m floored by that. If you guys could have seen/heard that impact. It was unreal.
How do you like those HR shocks on there? I watched YT where they changed them out to the Arrma aluminum shocks and the guy stated they weren't any better than the original shocks that it came with.
These are way, way smoother than the stockers. The spring rates are really nice too, surprisingly. I’m glad I got them.
Front end back together. Just taking my time and doing this while I watch some VGG. Nice chill evening.
IMG_1547.jpeg

That’s right. The Chihuahua, aka MurderPuppy, IS BACK!!!

I’m way more excited about that than I should be as an adult. This thing is just so much fun.
IMG_1548.jpeg

Just a bent shock shaft, that bent right back into shape and works fine, and a chassis. I could have easily fixed the old chassis, but I sprung for the $14 replacement. What a great truck. Holding that chassis, it is built extremely solid. Bone stock, I can’t see the thing breaking.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back