Think I'm going to be late tomorrow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerold

Very Active Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Limitless
My wife went to the front yard to water the plants and started yelling for me. Apparently, the 50 year old Almond Tree was making some cracking noises then started to split.
1714959349377.png

Yah, there goes the dinner plans. I moved my car, from the curb ... just in case. Put out a few cones and went inside to get some tape to mark off the area. As I walked out - CRACK - and it was done. Unfortunately my wife did not get video.
1714959522148.png

Looking at this a bit more, it looks like the crotch of tree is the source. Looks like it rotted the root ball.
IMG_5767.jpg

Loosing more shade... it's going to be a hot summer.

My wife went to the front yard to water the plants and started yelling for me. Apparently, the 50 year old Almond Tree was making some cracking noises then started to split.
View attachment 364719

Yah, there goes the dinner plans. I moved my car, from the curb ... just in case. Put out a few cones and went inside to get some tape to mark off the area. As I walked out - CRACK - and it was done. Unfortunately my wife did not get video.
View attachment 364720

Looking at this a bit more, it looks like the crotch of tree is the source. Looks like it rotted the root ball.
View attachment 364721

Don't worry it's just mitosis, it was trying to become two trees.
On the other hand there isn't much worse than a rotten crotch. :eek:

View attachment 364719

View attachment 364720

View attachment 364721

What a bummer!
Sorry for the loss..

Hopefully you'll plant another tree in its place.

Bummer dude!
My ash trees are infested with those damn beetles and need to come down. I’m procrastinating cause I don’t want to loose the shade and I’ll feel like my house will be naked.. 😳

It looks like the tree is still rooted? Do you think it will survive? What’s the average life span of an almond tree? That thing has been around longer than you 😝

It's done. 1/2 of it is on the ground and the root ball looks pretty nasty. For nothing else but safety it needs to come down.

I live in Blossom Valley, a part of San Jose that was orchards back in the way back day. The house is 56 years old, so it's was probably ~50 years old. It could be older I dunno?

Found some video of when it fell. You can't see the whole tree fall, but you can hear it and see my wife jump.

Bummer dude!
My ash trees are infested with those damn beetles and need to come down. I’m procrastinating cause I don’t want to loose the shade and I’ll feel like my house will be naked.. 😳

We bee losing shade for the last few years. First the cherry in the back neighbors yard. Then an elm we had that was on top of the pool plumbing and 1/2 through the fence. Now this almond tree. More so the neighbor across from gets evening shade from it when it's hot. He's going to be sad.

Sorry about the tree brother. Always bad when that happens. Atleast nobody was hurt!

I had a huge hard maple come down a couple years ago. 1 leg came down and took out every bit of my kids stuff.. I'd just walked under the swing and it landed feet from me.
Before I could get a tree crew out to take the other half down it fell on the house. Shoved our pavilion straight through the side of the house. About $15k In damages.

I wound up cutting all 4 of our old trees down in prevention of more happening seeing as how they were all rotted to a dangerous level and hugeee.

Trees are both amazing and incredibly dangerous when left unattended/maintained.

Screenshot_20240505_221602_Gallery.jpg

Sorry about the tree brother. Always bad when that happens. Atleast nobody was hurt!

I had a huge hard maple come down a couple years ago. 1 leg came down and took out every bit of my kids stuff.. I'd just walked under the swing and it landed feet from me.
Before I could get a tree crew out to take the other half down it fell on the house. Shoved our pavilion straight through the side of the house. About $15k In damages.

I wound up cutting all 4 of our old trees down in prevention of more happening seeing as how they were all rotted to a dangerous level and hugeee.

Trees are both amazing and incredibly dangerous when left unattended/maintained.

View attachment 364739
Thank you.

And wow that's some stuff there.

The weak line is now towards the house and the street. But the tree has a bit of lean towards the street so I'm hoping it lasts a bit until we can get someone to cut it up.

The neighbor has a guy. I will talk to him tomorrow.

Got "a guy". He's going to cut everything up and get rid of the tree. I wonder if the city will come after me for taking down the tree? All I can do is take some pictures and hope the understand you can't fight nature.

Got "a guy". He's going to cut everything up and get rid of the tree. I wonder if the city will come after me for taking down the tree? All I can do is take some pictures and hope the understand you can't fight nature.

There shouldn't be any problems with the city..

Especially if you already doing their job of removing obstacles from city streets..
And, paying for the removal with your OWN money.

There shouldn't be any problems with the city..

Especially if you already doing their job of removing obstacles from city streets..
And, paying for the removal with your OWN money.

There shouldn't be any problem. They use selective enforcement system and don't play fair either.

Glad you and the family are safe and no one got hurt. We have our trees trimmed every now and then but it didn’t stop one from splitting and crashing into the sidewalk and taking down part of our fence. Was lucky the car wasn’t there, it was usually where I park!

Glad you and the family are safe and no one got hurt. We have our trees trimmed every now and then but it didn’t stop one from splitting and crashing into the sidewalk and taking down part of our fence. Was lucky the car wasn’t there, it was usually where I park!

Thank you.

It was a very mature tree and it's time had come. I can't get used to the "new" front yard yet.

Back