1/10 4WD cheapish buggy recommendations.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biggman100

Very Active Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fury
  2. 4x4-Mega
Like the title says, i am looking for 4WD buggies in the roughly $150 range, but, i am looking for something in a true 1/10 size, not the smaller stated 1/10th Redcat/Exceed stuff. I wish Arrma would make the Fazon voltage in 4WD, but they wont. For the price, if i could find a way to make it 4WD, i would, but, with the motor sitting sideways in the rear, i don't see how it would even be possible, unless i could somehow adopt the SC10 belt drive to it. This is for a 12 year old as his first true hobby grade, so im not looking for big power stuff, like the 3S and up. It will probably be ran on whatever battery comes with it, at least for awhile, then, he will either get bored with it, or, he will upgrade it, so, something upgradeable in the future is a plus. It also doesn't have to be strictly from the name brand companies, but, i would like to find something more durable than the cheap knock off stuff (redcat/Exceed, HSP, WLToys for example).

For young kids you cant go wrong with the Tacon Brushless buggy. Its a little more and only 1/14 scale but they are really tough and good quality.
Image result for tacon rc buggy

For young kids you cant go wrong with the Tacon Brushless buggy. Its a little more and only 1/14 scale but they are really tough and good quality.
He already has a 1/12 scale truck, and, due to it being slower than even my brushed buggy, as well as smaller, he wants something a bit closer in size and speed to what his dad and i have. Mine isnt something he can afford to match, not in that price range anyway (Redcat caldera, that i rarely even look at anymore, except when he is here), and his dad has a Fazon Voltage, but, he wants something 4WD. He is using money he has saved up to buy it, but, as i have only had experience with the Caldera and the Exceed Sunfire (which i wouldnt reccomend for anyone over 6), im really not much help in this case.

Here is a review of the DHK Hunter BL that Vas did a few years back, it's the same platform as the Wolf 2 just has some aluminum bits.

Last edited:
Here is a review of the DHK Hunter BL that Vas did a few years back, it's the same platform as the Wolf 2 just has some aluminum bits.
He is looking at the Raz-r2, which looks like the wolf, with a different body and tires. Now, if only i could find the BL version anywhere. The only one i found, the car was $5 more than RC Hobby Explosion wants for the brushed version, but, the shipping is $58. I figured, for hat much, why not just buy the brushed version, and a cheap BL setup, but, he doesn't like to do any upgrades to his stuff. He will run it stock until it breaks, then, it will either end up in a box, or i will end up with it. After all the reviews and videos, i was actually looking at one for me to goof off with, but, i am already buying 2 new trucks (a Senton and a Tenacity), and don't really need a buggy.

He is looking at the Raz-r2, which looks like the wolf, with a different body and tires. Now, if only i could find the BL version anywhere. The only one i found, the car was $5 more than RC Hobby Explosion wants for the brushed version, but, the shipping is $58. I figured, for hat much, why not just buy the brushed version, and a cheap BL setup, but, he doesn't like to do any upgrades to his stuff. He will run it stock until it breaks, then, it will either end up in a box, or i will end up with it. After all the reviews and videos, i was actually looking at one for me to goof off with, but, i am already buying 2 new trucks (a Senton and a Tenacity), and don't really need a buggy.
Yeah ever since Hobby People closed they have been struggling with distribution here in the states. Idk I think the $58 dollars might be worth it for the brushless model over the brushed version, brushless model is more than just the motor and esc combo, it also adds the aluminum center braces aluminum shock caps, aluminum shock towers 2s lipo battery and balance charger.

-edit- I just noticed the Brushed Raz-R has all the aluminum bits, but the brushed Wolf doesn't :unsure:

Last edited:
Last edited:
The hobbyking Vandle comes to mind. They sometimes go on sale for around $100
Not to bad $75 for the kit, $90 for the ARR and $132 for the RTR https://hobbyking.com/en_us/catalogsearch/result/?___store=en_us&cat=8887&q=Quanum+Vandal+

From the looks of the kit it might be about the same quality as the HSP/Redcat/Exceed stuff but without looking at any videos or anything of it it is hard to judge.
Hobby King is Turnigy stuff, and, the Trooper Pro SCT is actually amazingly durable. There are a few hard bash videos on youtube about it. My neighbor has one, and so far, has only managed to break 3 shocks, and the front bumper, and we arent easy on any of our vehicles. I was actually considering one, but, im still thinking the Senton would be better, even though the Trooper is BL and the Senton mega isnt. The ESC seems pretty decent, but the steering servo's are crap. I bought a package of 4 servo's, that i cant remember the brand of, for $37 on Amazon that are way better than the one in his Trooper and Blackout, if that tells you anything. The Trooper Pro will also run 3S with a gearing change, but, it only comes ARR, with no radio or reciever, which is also part of why im leaning more towards the Senton, but, it also depends on if i cave and get the Tenacity im looking at, because that radio (Spektrum DX2E active) can control up to either 4 or 6 vehicles. I don't know how durable any of the other Hobby King/Turnigy stuff is though.

Hobby King is Turnigy stuff, and, the Trooper Pro SCT is actually amazingly durable. There are a few hard bash videos on youtube about it. My neighbor has one, and so far, has only managed to break 3 shocks, and the front bumper, and we arent easy on any of our vehicles. I was actually considering one, but, im still thinking the Senton would be better, even though the Trooper is BL and the Senton mega isnt. The ESC seems pretty decent, but the steering servo's are crap. I bought a package of 4 servo's, that i cant remember the brand of, for $37 on Amazon that are way better than the one in his Trooper and Blackout, if that tells you anything. The Trooper Pro will also run 3S with a gearing change, but, it only comes ARR, with no radio or reciever, which is also part of why im leaning more towards the Senton, but, it also depends on if i cave and get the Tenacity im looking at, because that radio (Spektrum DX2E active) can control up to either 4 or 6 vehicles. I don't know how durable any of the other Hobby King/Turnigy stuff is though.

I'm not sure who the OEM of Quanum is, but most of Hobbykings vehicles are made by BSR.

Trust me when I tell you this the DX2E is not a good radio at all. It's bulky, the wheel is a non standard size and made out of plastic, it feels extremely cheap, my $22 Flysky FSGT2B has a much better feel to it. Read through some of the reviews for the Horizon vehicles and you will find that a lot of people ditch their DX2E.

I'm not sure who the OEM of Quanum is, but most of Hobbykings vehicles are made by BSR.

Trust me when I tell you this the DX2E is not a good radio at all. It's bulky, the wheel is a non standard size and made out of plastic, it feels extremely cheap, my $22 Flysky FSGT2B has a much better feel to it. Read through some of the reviews for the Horizon vehicles and you will find that a lot of people ditch their DX2E.
I actually like the DX2E (although, the one my neighbor has isnt the active model), but, im also used to the cheaper, odd shaped and sized radios (Racers Edge GLG20, Force RC FCES, The one that goes with my 1/6 scale Nylint crawler), and for years i used a Futaba twin stick for all my cars..

I cant seem to find the BL versions of the DHK cars anywhere, so, he is looking at getting the Wolf 2, and the Raz-R body in clear, since they are exactly the same underneath, and painting it to look like my dads pure stock dirt car. It also seems the Trooper and Trooper Pro are both out of stock at the moment, which has happened for several vehicles i have looked at recently. As for who makes the Trooper and Trooper PRO, it could be that they are both made by BSR. The Trooper is usually listed as the Turnigy Trooper, and the Trooper PRO is usually either listed as the Trooper PRO, and sometimes as the Hobby King Trooper PRO 9had to source parts a couple times for my neighbors truck).

Last edited:
I cant seem to find the BL versions of the DHK cars anywhere, so, he is looking at getting the Wolf 2, and the Raz-R body in clear, since they are exactly the same underneath, and painting it to look like my dads pure stock dirt car. It also seems the Trooper and Trooper Pro are both out of stock at the moment, which has happened for several vehicles i have looked at recently. As for who makes the Trooper and Trooper PRO, it could be that they are both made by BSR. The Trooper is usually listed as the Turnigy Trooper, and the Trooper PRO is usually either listed as the Trooper PRO, and sometimes as the Hobby King Trooper PRO 9had to source parts a couple times for my neighbors truck).
The only place I can find them is here https://www.monkeyhobby.com/dhk-8132-raz-r-bl-brushless-1-10-stadium-truck-rtr/ https://www.monkeyhobby.com/dhk-8131-wolf-bl-brushless-4wd-rc-buggy-1-10-rc-racing-car/ but shipping is like $46.

Thats the one i found that they quoted me $56 for shipping. I think im just gonna stick with RC Hobby explosion, and then upgrade later, maybe. I was also looking at the Hobby King stuff, but i read on a lot of forums about spotty parts availability, especially in the states.

Thats the one i found that they quoted me $56 for shipping. I think im just gonna stick with RC Hobby explosion, and then upgrade later, maybe. I was also looking at the Hobby King stuff, but i read on a lot of forums about spotty parts availability, especially in the states.

Yeah near as I can tell they are someplace in China. And even with their high shipping rates I can get a Vkar VB.4 for pretty cheap from them, yeah all this 1/10 4wd buggy talk and looking up on them makes me want to get a 1/10 4wd buggy now.

Hobbyking has had a reputation for not having parts available for models when they release them, it usually takes like 6 months to a year before they have a good stock of parts. But the older models like the Quanum and Basher Sabertooth there are plenty of parts now.

Yeah near as I can tell they are someplace in China. And even with their high shipping rates I can get a Vkar VB.4 for pretty cheap from them, yeah all this 1/10 4wd buggy talk and looking up on them makes me want to get a 1/10 4wd buggy now.

Hobbyking has had a reputation for not having parts available for models when they release them, it usually takes like 6 months to a year before they have a good stock of parts. But the older models like the Quanum and Basher Sabertooth there are plenty of parts now.
Thats my problem. I know i don't need another basher, but, after looking at the DHK Raz-R and Wolf, im almost tempted to buy one of each. Yes, i know they are the same vehicle, but, i can get the Raz-R for $10 more than the wolf, so, buying two wolf cars and the Raz-R body would cost more, although, they make a clear body for both the Wolf and the Raz-R, so i could paint them any way i wanted. Decisions, decisions. The issue there is, im already buying a Tenacity MT, and a Senton mega, along with the 6 i already have, and, i think if i add any more cars, ill be living in the shed with them.

Thats my problem. I know i don't need another basher, but, after looking at the DHK Raz-R and Wolf, im almost tempted to buy one of each. Yes, i know they are the same vehicle, but, i can get the Raz-R for $10 more than the wolf, so, buying two wolf cars and the Raz-R body would cost more, although, they make a clear body for both the Wolf and the Raz-R, so i could paint them any way i wanted. Decisions, decisions. The issue there is, im already buying a Tenacity MT, and a Senton mega, along with the 6 i already have, and, i think if i add any more cars, ill be living in the shed with them.
Yeah I know I already have 10. And I still want more.

Yeah I know I already have 10. And I still want more.
I had 11, but 4 of those were Force RC from Horizon, and they are being discontinued after not even a year, and parts are already showing as not available, so, i cannibalized the 3 broken ones for parts for other trucks. I actually have 7, but, my Grasshopper i don't use at all anymore.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back