Kraton 13T VS 14T VS 16T Kraton Pinion Gear?

What pinion gear do you have on your Kraton?

• 12T

• 13T

• 14T

• 16T

• I use a larger gear

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, no problem. The manual says center diff 10000 cst, front and rear 7000 cst

Cool, thanks. So, what's the deal with the extremes in weights? Are all shock and diff oils just that much different from each other?

(IE: 10,000 vs 100,000)?

Cool, thanks. So, what's the deal with the extremes in weights? Are all shock and diff oils just that much different from each other?

Higher value requires more force before the diff starts acting like a diff.

The oils are actually the same - just different thickness / viscosity.

Higher weight oiled give more dampening action. Shocks use thinner oil, as the dampening is only half based on the oil - it is also based on the holes in the shock pistons. Most folks will change pistons before going to very think or thin oils.

With the diff, you don't have that extra layer of tuning, all the dampening must come from the oil. Then add that the gaps around the gears are huge, compared to shock piston holes, and you have the need for very high CST oils.

so for Bashers, we normally want forward power with not much ballooning of the front wheels, so we will use very thick oils - 100k to 1million in the center, and 50k-100k front and rear. Racers, who worry about turning & corner handling more than straight line speed, tend to run much thinner - mostly under 10k, rarely as high as 20k.

The oils are actually the same - just different thickness / viscosity.

Higher weight oiled give more dampening action. Shocks use thinner oil, as the dampening is only half based on the oil - it is also based on the holes in the shock pistons. Most folks will change pistons before going to very think or thin oils.

With the diff, you don't have that extra layer of tuning, all the dampening must come from the oil. Then add that the gaps around the gears are huge, compared to shock piston holes, and you have the need for very high CST oils.

so for Bashers, we normally want forward power with not much ballooning of the front wheels, so we will use very thick oils - 100k to 1million in the center, and 50k-100k front and rear. Racers, who worry about turning & corner handling more than straight line speed, tend to run much thinner - mostly under 10k, rarely as high as 20k.

I feel like it's a huge gap for bashers to decide from 100k to 1million for the center diff.

My plan is to get some Proline Shockwaves (lower profile) to reduce the ballooning. I like wheelies just a little bit, but nothing too uncontrollable, so I got the TT MT4-G3 Wheelie bar on the way. I also want to be able to have some 4x4 donut action and drifting sideways on loose surfaces.

I'm running 6S a large percent of the time, and 4S just sometimes.

I was thinking something like: 50,000 front, 300,000 middle, and 10,000 back.

So with this being said, what diff oil would you recommend?

Makes sense. What tires and wheels did you go with?

I actually wondered about that. I am in Austin TX, so it's 85° today (for example). I am running the 14T through short grass and leaves, up and down small hills, etc. Would this be too much to do even on 14T with 4S or 6S?
Would a dual fan on the motor remedy the heat i am looking into getting one since having to change to the 14t and soon to be 16t when the and if the 14 fails.

Hi there,
I am running a 14T with 4S & 6S, with the ProLine Badlands 3.8. They are a little bit smaller than stock tyres and much lighter. This setup works fine even here in Malaysia where I live with an average temp at flat 90degrees Fahrenheit. With the stock tyres it definitely overheats on 6S so you would have to gear it down if you ru on high amb temps like I do. I run mostly on tracks and put one pack through after the other - so its kinda continuous run.

Hi there,
I am running a 14T with 4S & 6S, with the ProLine Badlands 3.8. They are a little bit smaller than stock tyres and much lighter. This setup works fine even here in Malaysia where I live with an average temp at flat 90degrees Fahrenheit. With the stock tyres it definitely overheats on 6S so you would have to gear it down if you ru on high amb temps like I do. I run mostly on tracks and put one pack through after the other - so its kinda continuous run.

Great feedback, good to know.

20170214_135832.jpg
My 16t Robinson racing 1216 extra hard 5mm 1mod just arrived. I have a hobbyshop in jersey whose shipping is so fast you would think they're around the corner. Lol

I had the same luck put my second 6s pack in and snapped a tooth off pinion motor was 151 degrees so I don't think I want to put the 14 tooth. and that pinion is so stuck on there

14t but I'm planning on trying larger.
But I'll have to fix my motor issue first. Last two times the motor came lose, so the pinion was moving nothing but air. Should I use some kind of washers for the motor mount screws or loctite?

14t but I'm planning on trying larger.
But I'll have to fix my motor issue first. Last two times the motor came lose, so the pinion was moving nothing but air. Should I use some kind of washers for the motor mount screws or loctite?
I ran 14 pinion in my kraton for a 6s pack and it didn't get hot and i must say it was a beast. I put in the 16 pinion a that poop is a different kinda beast.. ran a full 6s pack and my motor just got slightly warm... #mykratonkickass.... lol

I ran 14 pinion in my kraton for a 6s pack and it didn't get hot and i must say it was a beast. I put in the 16 pinion a that poop is a different kinda beast.. ran a full 6s pack and my motor just got slightly warm... #mykratonkickass.... lol

That sounds nice!
I have some tekno pinions coming my way 12t 16t 18t, 20t and 22t
Planning on using the 16t for the Kraton :)

That sounds nice!
I have some tekno pinions coming my way 12t 16t 18t, 20t and 22t
Planning on using the 16t for the Kraton :)
I think gonna try 18 but i have to tape my wheels first cause they ballooned like crazy with 16 so i can only imagine

Back