Kraton 13T VS 14T VS 16T Kraton Pinion Gear?

What pinion gear do you have on your Kraton?

• 12T

• 13T

• 14T

• 16T

• I use a larger gear

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have run the Kraton on 6S with a 13t pinion, Backflips and a Hobbywing motor cooler for almost 2 years in loose sand with no issues, also in hot conditions. Had one temp cut off because of a stuck bearing.
2 weeks ago i tried a 14t and after 10 min it hit the temp cut off.

I'm running a 17t tekno for now but I'm gonna have to hear down some for summer gearing probably a 14 maybe larger depends on what my temps look like.

I'm running a 17t tekno for now but I'm gonna have to hear down some for summer gearing probably a 14 maybe larger depends on what my temps look like.

How much top end is lost when dropping from a 17T to a 14T? I'm using a 17T currently and the summer is coming and it gets HOT here in Texas!

How much top end is lost when dropping from a 17T to a 14T? I'm using a 17T currently and the summer is coming and it gets HOT here in Texas!

Not exactly sure but the 13t on the outcast on 6s is around 49.7 mph so I'd say around 10mph I'll GPS it soon as I gear down and post it

I have run the Kraton on 6S with a 13t pinion, Backflips and a Hobbywing motor cooler for almost 2 years in loose sand with no issues, also in hot conditions. Had one temp cut off because of a stuck bearing.
2 weeks ago i tried a 14t and after 10 min it hit the temp cut off.

How warm is it where you are because I've never hit thermal cut off running a 17t before but the weather is just starting to get warm here it's like 60 today so not to hot yet may want to try a different fan this is what I was running in mine before the outcast got tore down for the motor swap and hot racing heat sink my temps stayed right around 130 135
20180511_110750.jpg

Where i am it's max 30 degrees Celsius (86 Fahrenheit). I do have just installed the V3 front dirt guards, maybe that's also causing some extra heat.
For cooling i use a Hobbywing fan with a thermal pad:
20170624_131610.jpg
20170622_234925.jpg

The first picture is the Typhon but it's the same one as on the Kraton

Not exactly sure but the 13t on the outcast on 6s is around 49.7 mph so I'd say around 10mph I'll GPS it soon as I gear down and post it

On my 17T in the Kraton I hit 65 mph, running 6s. On 4s I estimate Im running around 50mph. Haven't clocked 4s, and the phone I used to clock on 6s flew off the Kraton and shattered. Of course it was that "one more run:" when it happened lol.

On my 17T in the Kraton I hit 65 mph, running 6s. On 4s I estimate Im running around 50mph. Haven't clocked 4s, and the phone I used to clock on 6s flew off the Kraton and shattered. Of course it was that "one more run:" when it happened lol.

17t on my kraton I GPS 64.3 in a parking lot but it was a gradual incline so I have no doubt 65 mph with that gearing I havnt clocked 4s either I usually run 4s on the kraton when thrashing around with my son and his rustler vxl my vxl is under the knife on it's way to becoming a hybrid full of outcast parts lol still trying to fab alot of parts to make it work but it should b really quick when done if it stays on the ground that is

Attachments

• 20180415_054853.jpg
    20180415_054853.jpg
    337.3 KB · Views: 70
  • 20180429_030157.jpg
    20180429_030157.jpg
    316.9 KB · Views: 71
17t on my kraton I GPS 64.3 in a parking lot but it was a gradual incline so I have no doubt 65 mph with that gearing I havnt clocked 4s either I usually run 4s on the kraton when thrashing around with my son and his rustler vxl my vxl is under the knife on it's way to becoming a hybrid full of outcast parts lol still trying to fab alot of parts to make it work but it should b really quick when done if it stays on the ground that is

Thats gonna be one monster rustler!

edit...the motor looks to be resting on the arm. Will the arm have enough flew/movement when landing a jump, or is it speedrun set up?

With the rustler when the shock towers are on with the shocks it will have some travel but not anything to handle any real air the rig is just something to rip around on pavement.

Found one bad in the center diff. Not the source of the problem. It rolls very nice. Diff are all new. Bearings are all new. 3 runs on them.

Hi all,

I just got my V2 Kraton in yesterday, Wahhoo! :cool:

Ran it on 4S for a while, then switched to 6S, but my fun was short-lived... :(

I totally shredded the stock (12T) pinion gear after only 3 wheelies! Guess someone didn't tighten this up correctly on the assembly line.

So... I created a quick poll here to see what size everyone else is using. I'm thinking that the 13T may be a really good sweet spot.

What's the best size?

Thanks in advance!

Josh

Congrats on the Kraton brotha, even though I'm over a year late on this post...I just got a Kraton V2 myself. I shredded my pinion the same exact way. Previous owner said he never did anything to it although it shredded within 30 minutes on 6S. I then upgraded to a 14T pinion (love it!!) and I almost had the same thing happen again. The loctite that was already on the grubby sucked. I bough some TLR loctite and applied it and cured for an hour. I haven't had a problem since! I think I may pick up red loctite for the pinion and use it in small amounts to prevent destroying more pinions. I'm new to the group but I'm picking up ALOT of great advice in regards to diff oils and methods.

This forum ROCKS!

Back