Kraton 2018 Kraton Steering

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrymReaper

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
Hey guys, had my Kraton for about 6 months now and loving it. Moving up to a 6s really made the difference and now my son can bash around with my old ECX Ruckus.

I will preface by saying that I have done absolutely nothing to the truck being that most of the time I have used it, it was pretty cold out and did a lot of driving in the snow and such. Now that it has gotten warmer, I am wanting to start upgrading this monster. That being said, when I first took it out of the box and drove it around on grass and pavement, I couldn't believe that the damn thing would not flip. The steering was so responsive and tight that friends that had other RC cars/trucks were impressed at how she stayed on all four wheels most of the time.

Now, I took it out yesterday and noticed that my turning radius was not nearly as good as it used to be. I could go up one side of my street, and make a turn without even getting within 6 feet from the curb. Now when I try to make a turn I have to go up and over the curbs, or just stop and pop it into reverse for a few feet and go on my way.

Nothing seems broken, and everything else is fine. I just wanted to put the 14t gear that came with it for a little added speed (again keeping everything stock for now). What I don't want to do is be going faster and all of a sudden need to make a turn and continue to feel like it has the turning radius of an 18 wheeler.

Has anyone had any issues with steering etc. I know the servos are know to be a little weak, but I don't know if I just need to make an adjustment somewhere because the wheels do turn like they are supposed to, just not when the car is on the ground.

Thanks!

Hey guys, had my Kraton for about 6 months now and loving it. Moving up to a 6s really made the difference and now my son can bash around with my old ECX Ruckus.

I will preface by saying that I have done absolutely nothing to the truck being that most of the time I have used it, it was pretty cold out and did a lot of driving in the snow and such. Now that it has gotten warmer, I am wanting to start upgrading this monster. That being said, when I first took it out of the box and drove it around on grass and pavement, I couldn't believe that the damn thing would not flip. The steering was so responsive and tight that friends that had other RC cars/trucks were impressed at how she stayed on all four wheels most of the time.

Now, I took it out yesterday and noticed that my turning radius was not nearly as good as it used to be. I could go up one side of my street, and make a turn without even getting within 6 feet from the curb. Now when I try to make a turn I have to go up and over the curbs, or just stop and pop it into reverse for a few feet and go on my way.

Nothing seems broken, and everything else is fine. I just wanted to put the 14t gear that came with it for a little added speed (again keeping everything stock for now). What I don't want to do is be going faster and all of a sudden need to make a turn and continue to feel like it has the turning radius of an 18 wheeler.

Has anyone had any issues with steering etc. I know the servos are know to be a little weak, but I don't know if I just need to make an adjustment somewhere because the wheels do turn like they are supposed to, just not when the car is on the ground.

Thanks!
I would check to see if your servo saver has loosened up. You don't want it too tight as it will save your servo from stripping if you hit something but if it's too loose you will loose steering.

everything is tight and seems to be in place....is there a way to stiffen/loosen the actual steering

Drivetrain and steering components are my main issues.

Yeah. The only thing he calls out is stripped screws? Annoying, but yeah, that is a tool issue. I have heard Arrma uses grade 10.9, which is better than most all of the SS available, and better than most RTR's. I was also stripping screws, tried the SS one, they were worse. Got better tools, no more issues. MIP for my power driver bits, EDS for hand drivers.

Stripped screws is the straw that broke the camel's back.

Last edited by a moderator:
All good, figured it out! That was it
I was just going to respond to you and I saw you got it figured out. Awesome to hear that it was a quick and simple fix. Those tend to come loose every once in awhile so whenever you notice the steering, check that out.

Also, next time you tear the front of the truck down for maintenance or cleaning, put a drop of blue locktite on the SS threads. That will help keep it where you set it.

And one other thought - If you are 6 months in, and thinking of upgrading your truck, put a good servo near the top of your list. The stock servo is not bad (better than a lot of RTR servos) but it has brass gears. For a big truck like the Kraton, these gears will wear out sooner rather than later. It would be good to have a servo ready to go when that day comes.

I run a Savox 2270MG, ($99) but there are lots of decent choices from JX and Bluebird for under $50. Just watch the specs - make sure you are reading 6.0v specs, and get >20kg torque and speed between .15s - .10s.

I just noticed this the other day, my turn radius widened, will check this as well. Also, I want to replace the bushings in the steering assembly, with bearings does anyone know the size?

Also note that the red piece steering rack that connects the two wheels to the servo horn bends pretty easy and the two screws back out causing bad steering, Voltage hobbies makes a rack out of T6 aluminum and it takes a beating.

Also note that the red piece steering rack that connects the two wheels to the servo horn bends pretty easy and the two screws back out causing bad steering, Voltage hobbies makes a rack out of T6 aluminum and it takes a beating.

Yeah, I actually got that piece already for both of my vehicles (plus both of the shock towers for the Kraton), but thanks for suggesting. VH has some very well machined pieces.

Under my same name, I have a couple of videos on Youtube one of my Kraton, and the progress on my Senton to rally car conversion, if you're interested.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back