2350KV motor been run years w/o sensor wire, now New ESC and with sensored wire use it has issues ???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Kid

Very Active Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Sky R/C TORO X8 Pro 2350 used in my Typhon has been great for years now.
Just put in a new Hobbywing Xerun HR8 Plus ESC.
Wiring is 100% correct, clean and tidy.

Set up went as it should and everything functions normally ( So long as NO sensor lead is attached ) I can stab throttle and buggy just takes off w/o issue and this is WHERE IT GETS WEIRD ?

When sensor lead is attached, if I apply throttle slowly it works fine and buggy gets moving where I can apply full throttle.
Stab the throttle from a stand still and motor COGGS / STUTTERS w/o moving accelerating and ESC shuts down !!!
Unplug sensor lead and all is fine once again.
Can't find any info on-line speaking of this issue ... so ?

Any Ideas ..... Whats going on ????

Thanks,
Scott

Double check that the A-A, B-B, C-C wiring is correct.

Otherwise it’s probably either a bad sensor wire or a bad sensor in the motor.

Clean install ...

p.jpg

q.jpg

Sky R/C TORO X8 Pro 2350 used in my Typhon has been great for years now.
Just put in a new Hobbywing Xerun HR8 Plus ESC.
Wiring is 100% correct, clean and tidy.

Set up went as it should and everything functions normally ( So long as NO sensor lead is attached ) I can stab throttle and buggy just takes off w/o issue and this is WHERE IT GETS WEIRD ?

When sensor lead is attached, if I apply throttle slowly it works fine and buggy gets moving where I can apply full throttle.
Stab the throttle from a stand still and motor COGGS / STUTTERS w/o moving accelerating and ESC shuts down !!!
Unplug sensor lead and all is fine once again.
Can't find any info on-line speaking of this issue ... so ?

Any Ideas ..... Whats going on ????

Thanks,
Scott
Did you use that motor with the sensor before?

What you are describing sounds like a bad motor sensor or wire as @dure16 mentioned.

When the sensor is hooked up to the ESC it requires accurate feedback from the motors rotor speed. If it gets any erroneous data wierd things happen... o_O

Got the LCD programmer today ... Dang the Xerun XR8 plus "G2S" sure has a lot of settable parameters !!
Reading up on it and making some setting changes in an attempt in getting the severe hard start SHUTTER / COGGING eliminated has done nothing :(
Also fitted a NEW sensor wire ...

My next best test ... try another motor running balanced and see what gives ????

Well fixed it ... Must have been a Hall sensor .. that or the Type winding in the Toro XR8 Pro which is Y type configuration and not Delta ?
Anywho ... My son had an extra Xerun 4274 2250 kv G2. Installed it as a trial & it works fully Sensored or Hybrid w/o issue.

Not really the correct motor to be running on 3S being it is a High torque, Big current model for his Kraton basher. Works ok, but my run times are going to be short !!
I see a 4268 2400kv Gen 3 in my future !! That's the more balanced motor running on 3s having a 2-4s rating.

R.jpg

Well fixed it ... Must have been a Hall sensor .. that or the Type winding in the Toro XR8 Pro which is Y type configuration and not Delta ?
Anywho ... My son had an extra Xerun 4274 2250 kv G2. Installed it as a trial & it works fully Sensored or Hybrid w/o issue.

Not really the correct motor to be running on 3S being it is a High torque, Big current model for his Kraton basher. Works ok, but my run times are going to be short !!
I see a 4268 2400kv Gen 3 in my future !! That's the more balanced motor running on 3s having a 2-4s rating.

View attachment 345955
I personally wouldn’t spend the cash on the 4268 if you already have the 4274. The difference between the two motors will be hardly noticeable in a Typhon, for either power or runtime.

I personally wouldn’t spend the cash on the 4268 if you already have the 4274. The difference between the two motors will be hardly noticeable in a Typhon, for either power or runtime.
Thats good advise .... Just in reading specs, the the 4274 "2250" is spec for Monster truck, The shorter can 4268 "2200" they spec as Buggy.

Honestly is there that little of difference being run on 3s ? ( Am using 75 &100C packs of 5000/5400/7600/9000 )

Last edited:
Thats good advise .... Just in reading specs, the the 4274 "2250" is spec for Monster truck, The shorter can 4268 "2200" they spec as Buggy.

Honestly is there that little of difference being run on 3s ? ( Am using 75 &100C packs of 5000/5400/7600/9000 )
The longer motor has a little more torque to turn taller/heavier truck tires.

I would guess there is a measurable difference of 5-10% torque generation, current draw, and weight between the two motors. But you might not notice any difference in real world driving/bashing.

To put things in perspective, I’ve seen racers run buggy motors (4268) in truggies and truggy motors (4274) in buggies.

Thank you ....

Darn shame Xerun does not manufacture a 4268 in a 23-2600 kv better suited to the lower voltage 3S while also having the motor can sealed and not air vented as the car motors are. They make a 2400 and 2600kv, but no way I would run an open can motor in the dirt. Carpet track no problem.

Thank you ....

Darn shame Xerun does not manufacture a 4268 in a 23-2600 kv better suited to the lower voltage 3S while also having the motor can sealed and not air vented as the car motors are. They make a 2400 and 2600kv, but no way I would run an open can motor in the dirt. Carpet track no problem.
Check out Hobbystar if you're set on using a 4268. I've had Xerun motors and Hobbystar motors, and they both perform fine for bashing.

https://www.rcjuice.com/motor-esc/b...-pole-brushless-sensored-motor-1-8-buggy.html

1706805223089.png

In the past I've had issues with the sensor ports on hobbywing ESCs going bad.

Back