Max 5 G2 with Castle Sensored Motors

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayP.

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 8S
  2. Kraton EXB
  3. Outcast 8s
  4. Outcast 6s
  5. Senton 3s
I've been interested in replacing my MMX8S with the Max 5 G2. I currently have a 2028 800kv motor and wanted to change back to the 2028 1100kv and run it sensored with a Max 5 G2. Has anyone ran this combo? How does it run with Castle sensored motors? I know an adaptor is required and temperature sensing isn't possible.

Me personally, I feel you may be going backwards. And this coming from a HW sensored guy.
Maybe I am wrong?? IDK.
Just me.
I'll let others chime in on this one.

Me personally, I feel you may be going backwards. And this coming from a HW sensored guy.
Maybe I am wrong?? IDK.
Just me.
I just am sick of Castle's reliability and their garbage on/off switches. I've had 3 defective XLX2s, one of which went into flames. The MMX8S runs pretty hot in my O8S too. I just want to know if anyone's ran this combo and how it performs. I've watched a lot of videos on the Max 5 G2 and everyone talks about how efficient and smooth it is.

I get ya. Yeah I am a HW sensored guy. My go to brand. Not necessarily a fan boy. Just that I never had failures yet, in like 15 years with them. I go right to the Zerun line personally. But have lower end HW sensored stuff as well. The Max G2 stuff seems to get decent reviews. Most CC guys are speed runners IMHO. CC dominates in that RC niche. And yes they can be temperamental. Just that the fastest guys are not running HW stuff.
Different brand sensored motors will usually work fine with other brand sensored ESC's. Sometimes just losing some Telem data features.
But performance wise no difference or issues, with basher platforms.

I get ya. Yeah I am a HW sensored guy. My go to brand. Not necessarily a fan boy. Just that I never had failures yet, in like 15 years with them. I go right to the Zerun line personally. But have lower end sensored stuff as well. The Max G2 stuff seems to get decent reviews. Most CC guys are speed runners IMHO. CC dominates in that RC niche. And yes they can be temperamental. Just the fastest guys are not running HW stuff.
Different brand sensored motors will usually work fine with other brand sensored ESC's. Sometimes just losing some Telem data features.
But performance wise no issues.
Yeah I'm fine losing the telemetry. I usually only use it for temps, but I have a nice heatsink with dual fans on my 2028 motors. They run super cool even in the heat. Also I've also noticed a lot of speed runners use Castle since they don't really have amp limits. They just go until they can't go anymore 🤣. They are potent, the XLX2 was a blast to use when it worked, the MMX8S is really good too when it's working good. I just thought for general bashing and reliability the Max 5 G2 would be a good choice.

+1
Once you have a proven fan cooling solution, (including the ESC) along with best gearing, with a temp gun in hand, heat issues shouldn't be on your mind for bashing purposes. How I see it.

>>>Tip: Always drop the ESC motor timing Down all the way. Don't need it or want it.
It is overrated and only a feature that can benefit a speed runner setup. A tweaking feature that may get you that .5-1 mph faster PB.
I governed myself this way for many many years.
Advanced Timing only creates more motor heat, increasing Rpm's while lowering torque, with little if any gain that accompanies better performance when bashing.
If anything be very conservative with your ESC motor timing. Your motor will thank you.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back