40mm fan check in

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No I am pretty sure that is at 12v, but like I mentioned it is still a repurposed server fan and I am willing to bet you could find them for half the cost.
I actually tried to look into that a few weeks ago because I was curious if I could find them from china for cheaper. The place those fans are made apparently only does deals in bulk quantities. They don't even have the price listed and make you contact them for a quote. I was very disappointed

I actually tried to look into that a few weeks ago because I was curious if I could find them from china for cheaper. The place those fans are made apparently only does deals in bulk quantities. They don't even have the price listed and make you contact them for a quote. I was very disappointed
I found them I edited my post

10 - 999 pieces
$5.00
1000 - 4999 pieces
$2.80
5000 - 9999 pieces
$2.50
>= 10000 pieces
$1.90

Looks like you have to order at least 10.

And I again nothing against these guys selling "rc" fans but they are literally making money hand over fist on these things.

Last edited:
I found them I edited my post

10 - 999 pieces
$5.00
1000 - 4999 pieces
$2.80
5000 - 9999 pieces
$2.50
>= 10000 pieces
$1.90

Looks like you have to order at least 10.

And I again nothing against these guys selling "rc" fans but they are literally making money hand over fist on these things.
I don't think the fans you linked are the same

I don't think the fans you linked are the same
I thought GC used the all aluminum fans? With those there's at least some justification for a higher price (though still nothing like what they charge if their prices are still where I think they are.

I thought GC used the all aluminum fans? With those there's at least some justification for a higher price (though still nothing like what they charge if their prices are still where I think they are.
Honestly, I have no clue what GC uses but I definitely thought they were overpriced AF lol.

@slick2500 I just took one of my fans and got the model number "MG4028H08B" You have the brand right for sure. If you can find that exact model I will love you long time :ROFLMAO:

Honestly, I have no clue what GC uses but I definitely thought they were overpriced AF lol.

@slick2500 I just took one of my fans and got the model number "MG4028H08B" You have the brand right for sure. If you can find that exact model I will love you long time :ROFLMAO:
Yeah, they're stupid expensive. NMB makes really good server fans. Can recommend.

Oh shoot just saw this. Dude I'm telling you you could make a killing selling "rc" fans.
Some of their fans are aluminum but they are still repurposed server fans https://www.ebay.com/itm/333822519533?hash=item4db95f68ed:g:e38AAOSwLndf1EUl&amdata=enc:AQAHAAAA4Fttl+wat7Z/XtNTOK0IwM+iScTusmErPxnYPtWXq+m5rLAHd45dMijSKxijkFIR3EHgDsfg9mbi6Ya4z8Xy1kUHG3wZanU1WF1M86fRQT3xv6AmLfHDFExDBTcWjKv4PnhaVm7kMAs9TnYiFf6oLfhzethKz3JQYToLicJN/h8VZR8VOyAjA/uAmGgXZcL45tIAQHzB9tXJMz7yic8Iztmkveu9YYHCLK32NIv/juAHL/ZlAgxl5v/oJwSZMAIrNA+VTKX/dkkmBELv4D7u6vojvQq+CwLx9IdWO+C4Wyss|tkp:Bk9SR7i_vMmwYQ

Last edited:
For real man, even if you charged 10$ each that's still double what you pay for em lol. If I can buy that exact model for 5$ each I'm ordering like 30 of them.

Fo shizzle on both counts. If you can make yourself a name, there are some serious margins to be had in the fan segment of the market.

I'd almost be willing to bet that all 40x40x28mm fans are server fans. Can you imagine how much GC fans would cost if they developed their own and had to go through a whole R&D process? Put fans in one of your cars and you can kiss that family summer vacation good bye.

Fo shizzle on both counts. If you can make yourself a name, there are some serious margins to be had in the fan segment of the market.

I'd almost be willing to bet that all 40x40x28mm fans are server fans. Can you imagine how much GC fans would cost if they developed their own and had to go through a whole R&D process? Put fans in one of your cars and you can kiss that family summer vacation good bye.
If you order at least 1000 of them they will customize em for you and everything. Add branding etc etc lol.

the fan you linked can do 28 cfm at 8.4v?
No, but to get 28cfm at 8.4v you'll be pushing 1.5 amps. You're going to get the power one way or another, either via volts or amps. That's how the others get 28cfm with lower amps, they are 12v fans. The 8.4v max ones can run high power off of normal BECs, but you'll run into the issue of hogging up your BEC amperage if running those on a "regular" esc.

Basically they're all the same fan, just varying max voltage.

I do think the game changer fans are a bit of a rip off. The only thing you are getting are the right connectors and maybe some mounting stuff. If that's worth the huge price increase, then okay. Otherwise, you could just bolt those fans to a normal fan mount like everyone else.

Most if not all of the "rc" fans are repurposed from other electronics.

No, but to get 28cfm at 8.4v you'll be pushing 1.5 amps. You're going to get the power one way or another, either via volts or amps. That's how the others get 28cfm with lower amps, they are 12v fans. The 8.4v max ones can run high power off of normal BECs, but you'll run into the issue of hogging up your BEC amperage if running those on a "regular" esc.

I do think the game changer fans are a bit of a rip off. The only thing you are getting are the right connectors and maybe some mounting stuff. If that's worth the huge price increase, then okay. Otherwise, you could just bolt those fans to a normal fan mount like everyone else.
Ahh I've only tried them with the max 5 and xlx2 and they worked great. I'm wondering how the mmx8s would have handled it now.

Mine do 36CFM@12V. They weren't entirely cheap (I think I paid 19€ a piece IIRC) but at the time I wanted the highest output fans available without getting into the 40x40x56mm double stacked fans.

The GC fan setups are a total money grab. I'm sure they work well and (the ones that I've seen anyways)they at least make the effort of making nice switchable adapters and otherwise making everything look really nice (at that price point though, that's the minimum I'd expect).

Now that I think about it...aside from Earl I think I only saw maybe one other person use GC fans. At the prices they charge, I can't say I was terribly surprised. For the price of two or three of their fans you could just about buy yourself a small to midsized TP motor. That's retarded.
Most if not all of the "rc" fans are repurposed from other electronics.
Oh of course. That's what I was saying. As much as they charge for repurposed fans, could you imagine what fans an RC company designed and produced itself would cost? We might actually be talking about the price of an entire car. :LOL:

Ahh I've only tried them with the max 5 and xlx2 and they worked great. I'm wondering how the mmx8s would have handled it now.
I'm sure even the mmx8s would do okay. What's the BEC like? 6amps? Can you imagine me trying to run one or two of those off of a blx100..??? 🤣 talk about brownouts.
Mine do 36CFM@12V. They weren't entirely cheap (I think I paid 19€ a piece IIRC) but at the time I wanted the highest output fans available without getting into the 40x40x56mm double stacked fans.

The GC fan setups are a total money grab. I'm sure they work well and (the ones that I've seen anyways)they at least make the effort of making nice switchable adapters and otherwise making everything look really nice (at that price point though, that's the minimum I'd expect).

Now that I think about it...aside from Earl I think I only saw maybe one other person use GC fans. At the prices they charge, I can't say I was terribly surprised. For the price of two or three of their fans you could just about buy yourself a small to midsized TP motor. That's retarded.

Oh of course. That's what I was saying. As much as they charge for repurposed fans, could you imagine what fans an RC company designed and produced itself would cost? We might actually be talking about the price of an entire car. :LOL:
What kind of amperage do those see? That's alot of airflow!

For real, I just bought the ones I initially linked. I'll run them off a 7.4v BEC, so I'll get about 18 CFM or something, but i also bought four of them for $20. So I ain't crying ;)

Oh gosh if not more.

I'm sure even the mmx8s would do okay. What's the BEC like? 6amps? Can you imagine me trying to run one or two of those off of a blx100..??? 🤣 talk about brownouts.

What kind of amperage do those see? That's alot of airflow!

For real, I just bought the ones I initially linked. I'll run them off a 7.4v BEC, so I'll get about 18 CFM or something, but i also bought four of them for $20. So I ain't crying ;)
1.9A each if memory serves. They do move a stupid amount of air though. They move enough air to actually levitate...which could prove problematic if you're not prepared for it. Because once they take off you're reflexively grabbing a running fan. Top lulz I tell ya. :LOL:

1.9A each if memory serves. They do move a stupid amount of air though. They move enough air to actually levitate...which could prove problematic if you're not prepared for it. Because once they take off you're reflexively grabbing a running fan. Top lulz I tell ya. :LOL:
Oof, big air flow at big amperage.

Yeah i made that mistake before. Plugged one of my 40x40x10mm fan into the rx to test without it being fastened to anything. Turned on the esc and got a big surprise. Let's just say that those fan blades CAN cut skin. Don't ask me how I know :unsure:

Oof, big air flow at big amperage.

Yeah i made that mistake before. Plugged one of my 40x40x10mm fan into the rx to test without it being fastened to anything. Turned on the esc and got a big surprise. Let's just say that those fan blades CAN cut skin. Don't ask me how I know :unsure:
Your female intuition is legendary my friend. Your reputation precedes you. :LOL:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back