8s kraton with 20 mill diff oil still have too much power at front?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ray87

Reaction score
Hi. I just got a Kraton 8s pre owned, first thing i did was to change out all the diff oils, 100k front, 20 mill center and 100k rear.

The truck seems to have too much power at front still, it barley can do wheelie in very low speed and front tire balloon too much for my linking, one thing i notice was that i had no problem to turn the diff around with my fingers before i installed it, way harder then front and rear diff but fully possible to twist with my fingers.

I had a box from traxxas with 20 mill it was a couple years old, but it should not have much to say? When i changed in the xmaxx with the same oil i had to use wrenches on the diff cup to spinn it around.

Is there anything i have done wrong?
I packed it full slightly over the pins in the middle, let it stay over night so the oil had floated in flat in the morning.

What he said ☝🏼 and I would try 500k in the F&R...and if that don't work try 1mil in F&R.

Open it back up and re-pack it. One throttle stab and you flick all that 20M to the sides internally leaving all the planets essentially dry. Pack it in there to where its oozing out the sides when you button it back up.
Yes i will then try to repack it that way, i just was affraid to add too much, have readed that a too full diff could explode or start leaking.

That's essentially what 20mil is. No one else mentioned changing F&R to 500k but me 🤷🏻‍♂️
I promise you earplugs feel different than 20 mil. ;)

I just had her up again and i packed a bit more, like i mentioned im just affraid to make it too full, if i press down more between the spider gears with a small screwdriver the gears just slightly moves up, so when one fill slightly over the pins like one do on other diffs it’s just not enough on this one it seems.

Can i use a hair dryer or use torch to melt it?Would that make it float into the cup or could that damage the oils consistence or something?

Just want it right now without need to do it for the third time 😅

I just had her up again and i packed a bit more, like i mentioned im just affraid to make it too full, if i press down more between the spider gears with a small screwdriver the gears just slightly moves up, so when one fill slightly over the pins like one do on other diffs it’s just not enough on this one it seems.

Can i use a hair dryer or use torch to melt it?Would that make it float into the cup or could that damage the oils consistence or something?

Just want it right now without need to do it for the third time 😅
Hair dryer is fine. People actually sit diff fluid in hot water to make it easier to manipulate.

Got cha.

You might be one of those that will have to open it a 3rd time lol. PACK IT IN THERE! :cool:
IMG_3827.jpeg

This was all that i had left, i had to press the top in order to get the screws on, i have twisted the gears around opened packed redo so i don't think it have more air now.

What do you think? Should i order a new and add even more or just put it together? Have some leftover with 2 mill only. How would it act vs the silicone airplug have you tested and compared?

And also with almost a locked diff would that make more tear on the drivetrain? Would think a soft center diff acting almost like a slipper clutch?

Cant wait for this to behave like a basher, the front ballooning is kinda waist of time lol

Got it fully packed now so i slightly had some out of one of the screw hole, one must use much more efforth to twist it around now vs earlier today.

I found two cracks one of each spot like this om the gasket, add pics of, do this oil get warn under use? Otherwise i doubt it would leak and have anything to say?

IMG_3829.png

I’ve put mine together like that. It held. Chances are you’ll be back in there soon enough anyway. That’s RC’n

Edit: CD’s heat up too, sometimes very quickly and sometimes hotter than your motor. It’s all the gear friction. That fluid will get up to temps sometimes in the 150-160’s. That’s going to loosen up that 20M and as you drive the truck, the less it’s going to want to crack up that front end on demand. Just sayin for when you come back saying it’s slipping😂😉

Last edited:
I’ve put mine together like that. It held. Chances are you’ll be back in there soon enough anyway. That’s RC’n

Edit: CD’s heat up too, sometimes very quickly and sometimes hotter than your motor. It’s all the gear friction. That fluid will get up to temps sometimes in the 150-160’s. That’s going to loosen up that 20M and as you drive the truck, the less it’s going to want to crack up that front end on demand. Just sayin for when you come back saying it’s slipping😂😉
Great to hear it’s held, that was a good one with the crackling up front end and i still Ask here 😂
If so then i must consider a bigger motor lol.

You think this truck can manage to do some backflips in the air now? Kinda want to have good air controll, saving the truck from bad landings, im not sure if the motor is big enough, i had a stock xmaxx with 50 gearing and it was barley taking backflip if i took a huge huge jump it just made it in the last second, feel this truck have more punch at least but it’d heavier to flip it around too.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back