9400 mah's too heavy?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

u189961

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 8S
Hi Everyone,

I'm currently running 2 SMC 4s 9400 mah batteries on my K8s. These are pretty heavy, roughly about 765g each however the run time is amazing but the K8s is pretty heavy with batteries installed. I'll be upgrading to a Leopard 5892, 5898 or 58113 pretty soon and these are pretty heavy cans. Would it be wise to purchase lighter batteries to prevent my K8s from being severely overweight? I was actually eyeing the SMC 4s 7000 mah that weigh about 600g.

What are your thoughts considering the motor upgrade and weight? Stick to 9400 or go with smaller batteries?

SMC batteries I am considering:
9400 mah = 765g (already have)
8000 mah = 641g
7000 mah = 600g

Thank you!

Last edited:
makes sense since there has to be more material to increase the performance in any way on a battery. I wouldn't think a few hundred grams would make that much of a difference. Is it necessary to run such high mah batteries? I mean, I run my 6s on 4500mah 50c batteries and it screams for almost an hour...

Hi Everyone,

I'm currently running 2 SMC 4s 9400 mah batteries on my K8s. These are pretty heavy, roughly about 765g each however the run time is amazing but the K8s is pretty heavy with batteries installed. I'll be upgrading to a Leopard 5892, 5898 or 58113 pretty soon and these are pretty heavy cans. Would it be wise to purchase lighter batteries to prevent my K8s from being severely overweight? I was actually eyeing the SMC 4s 7000 mah that weigh about 600g.

What are your thoughts considering the motor upgrade and weight? Stick to 9400 or go with smaller batteries?

SMC batteries I am considering:
9400 mah = 765g (already have)
8000 mah = 641g
7000 mah = 600g

Thank you!

When you get into 8-900kv mills you don't have to worry about the weight of the can. They suck packs dry a lot faster than that stock stuff. You will probably only want to use those 9400 packs. I wouldn't only replace the motor, replace the ESC as well. I run dual 6000mah 6s packs for 12s and only get about 20-25 min out of them.

You can probably run 2 Lead acid batteries and get even longer run times. It might add 40 pounds or more, but you can run for 4 hours or more.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
At some point weight works against you. 2x 9400mah is too heavy for a stock setup. A waste of money IMHO. Running for 20 min with 2 7000 or even lower packs is fine and the norm .
If you want to run forever just get a fuelie rig. and a gallon of fuel. :cigar:

When you get into 8-900kv mills you don't have to worry about the weight of the can. They suck packs dry a lot faster than that stock stuff. You will probably only want to use those 9400 packs. I wouldn't only replace the motor, replace the ESC as well. I run dual 6000mah 6s packs for 12s and only get about 20-25 min out of them.

Yup for sure, I have a Max5 ready to install. Just trying to decide on the motor!

You can probably run 2 Lead acid batteries and get even longer run times. It might add 40 pounds or more, but you can run for 4 hours or more.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
At some point weight works against you. 2x 9400mah is too heavy for a stock setup. A waste of money IMHO. Running for 20 min with 2 7000 or even lower packs is fine and the norm .
If you want to run forever just get a fuelie rig. and a gallon of fuel. :cigar:

Yeah I was thinking of running dual AGM Optima Red or Yellow tops, haven't decided yet but they will add 80 lbs or so lol. In all seriousness, I initially went with 9400's because I knew it wasn't going to stay stock for long. Do you think it makes sense to run 9400's on a power hungry setup like a Max5 and Leopard 58113 1050kv on 34t pinion?

I never run high mah heavy packs, don't have the K8S but like to stay in the 5000 mah territory for all rigs.

I find that 20-25 mins runs are fine. (5000-6000mah). Packs can get really heavy. Don't underestimate the performance hit. I would rather drive less time and have more fun than drive longer with less power due to weight. Added weight generates heat and parts break more easily. If you go high amp draw ESC/ Motors than you really have no choice. But 20 min is average in my book.

Just remember that C rating X mAh = amps draw a battery can handle so if you go down a lot in mAh you may have to go up in C rating. You have plenty of room to go down. What is the minimum mAh and C rating for the K8s?

^^^50C 5000 Mah x2 according to the K8S manual. :cool:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back