Felony A scary component failure at 6 runs in

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J Mitchel

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
UPDATE: Upon notifying Horizon Hobby of the issue, they very quickly responded, researched, reacted and resolved the issue to more than my satisfaction. I would not hesitate to purchase another Horizon product, feeling confident that I will be well supported. With over 50 airplanes, a dozen boats and now RC cars, I feel strongly about supporting a company that provides North American based customer service agents which are knowledgeable, empathetic and empowered to make things right.

Original Post:
With tires on the way, I decided to take the Felony out for what I think is my 6th run. I still have a bit of tread left. I found a freshly paved road nearby that was still closed to traffic except one cross intersection. I powered up as usual and went back and forth 50 feet or so twice.

Then I sent it down the road and got maybe 100 feet when I had zero control. No steering. No throttle…and no brakes. Panic ran through my mind as the car continued arrow straight towards the intersection, about 150 feet ahead. Because I was not going particularly fast, the car rolled to a stop pretty quickly. Dead center of the intersection. For a 50 year old guy, I think I ran pretty quickly. I picked it up just as a car was coming towards the intersection. Still a construction zone, he was going pretty slowly, but what a panic!
The car continued to be unresponsive.

Technical troubleshooting steps I have taken and initial conclusions:
  • Rebind
    • Thinking I lost bind, (no idea why that would happen) I went through the rebind and calibration steps
    • This did not solve the issue. In fact, during the calibration, the steering did not function when moving the control wheel to the right or left.
    • Twice during the calibration, the throttle went active in forward (but strangely, not reverse) at high speed, proving why you place the car on a stand with the wheels off the ground/table/your lap.
    • At no time after rebind or calibration would the throttle or steering function.
  • Servo Test
    • Because the throttle went active and the motor/wheels spun up, I did not suspect an ESC issue.
    • There are only two connections to the receiver, so that left the steering servo.
    • I removed the steering servo from the receiver and connected it to a servo tester. I got no response from the servo tester. No left, no right, no humming. Nothing.
    • I connected a brand new third party standard servo I had on hand for another project to the servo tester and confirmed that it worked.
    • I connected that brand new servo to the Felony receiver and powered up.
    • I had throttle, brake and the new servo turned when I turned the wheel on the controller. NOTE: my new servo hummed a bit and seemed to vibrate back and forth a tiny amount. It was a HiTec servo for a plane.
  • Initial Conclusion
    • The steering servo seems to have failed and done so in a way that interferes with receiver and ESC functions.
So forum readers, I ask you, have you EVER heard of a servo failing and taking the ESC or receiver with it? I feel SO lucky that it continued straight down a straight road and I was able to get it from the intersection before SQUISH.

What is a reasonable request of Horizon/ARRMA? I feel I really can't trust this specific vehicle and think a physically different example would be appropriate, but I don't want to be unreasonable.
Thanks,
Jeff

Last edited:
Yes servos can cause all kinds of shenanigans with the rx when they die. I replaced the stock servo 3 runs in just because... I used a 25kg from dsservo(3221 I tink) I got 2 for 25$ from bangood. It's faster and stronger than stock, and I've been running one about 40 hours doing hard duty in my trx6...

Just had this happen to me yesterday. But in my V2 Infraction . HH is replacing the servo and the BODY! Ran it for 20 minutes or so no issue. Then bam lost all control and it went rolling and rolling. Hit a car tire 100 feet away.

Round 2. Steering servo failed again on a replacement vehicle. Totally different example of the car with maybe an hour of run time. Servo motor seemed like it was drawing a ton of power, causing the esc to reset constantly. I changed out the servo to an aftermarket brand and no esc issues. Tested the servo on a servo tester....constant jittering and heavy amp draw. This car is too expensive for parts that are not up to the task. Let's see what Horizon says Monday. I am sure they will make it right, but frustrating and potentially dangerous.

My servo arrived Wednesday installed and ran it no issue. Today ran it for 15 seconds ,now the servo is fine . No trottle at all. When I give it throttle the ESC will reset. And when I turn off the controller the ESC will reset. Recalibrate same issue occurs. A bit disappointing in Arrma at the moment.

My servo arrived Wednesday installed and ran it no issue. Today ran it for 15 seconds ,now the servo is fine . No trottle at all. When I give it throttle the ESC will reset. And when I turn off the controller the ESC will reset. Recalibrate same issue occurs. A bit disappointing in Arrma at the moment.
3rd ESC died , HH is getting the infraction v2 and going to look at it themselves. Again disappointing ?.

4th Esc and counting. 3 servos thus far. Wtf

Get a replacement, sell it get a max 6, move on.

UPDATE: Upon notifying Horizon Hobby of the issue, they very quickly responded, researched, reacted and resolved the issue to more than my satisfaction. I would not hesitate to purchase another Horizon product, feeling confident that I will be well supported. With over 50 airplanes, a dozen boats and now RC cars, I feel strongly about supporting a company that provides North American based customer service agents which are knowledgeable, empathetic and empowered to make things right.

Original Post:
With tires on the way, I decided to take the Felony out for what I think is my 6th run. I still have a bit of tread left. I found a freshly paved road nearby that was still closed to traffic except one cross intersection. I powered up as usual and went back and forth 50 feet or so twice.

Then I sent it down the road and got maybe 100 feet when I had zero control. No steering. No throttle…and no brakes. Panic ran through my mind as the car continued arrow straight towards the intersection, about 150 feet ahead. Because I was not going particularly fast, the car rolled to a stop pretty quickly. Dead center of the intersection. For a 50 year old guy, I think I ran pretty quickly. I picked it up just as a car was coming towards the intersection. Still a construction zone, he was going pretty slowly, but what a panic!
The car continued to be unresponsive.

Technical troubleshooting steps I have taken and initial conclusions:
  • Rebind
    • Thinking I lost bind, (no idea why that would happen) I went through the rebind and calibration steps
    • This did not solve the issue. In fact, during the calibration, the steering did not function when moving the control wheel to the right or left.
    • Twice during the calibration, the throttle went active in forward (but strangely, not reverse) at high speed, proving why you place the car on a stand with the wheels off the ground/table/your lap.
    • At no time after rebind or calibration would the throttle or steering function.
  • Servo Test
    • Because the throttle went active and the motor/wheels spun up, I did not suspect an ESC issue.
    • There are only two connections to the receiver, so that left the steering servo.
    • I removed the steering servo from the receiver and connected it to a servo tester. I got no response from the servo tester. No left, no right, no humming. Nothing.
    • I connected a brand new third party standard servo I had on hand for another project to the servo tester and confirmed that it worked.
    • I connected that brand new servo to the Felony receiver and powered up.
    • I had throttle, brake and the new servo turned when I turned the wheel on the controller. NOTE: my new servo hummed a bit and seemed to vibrate back and forth a tiny amount. It was a HiTec servo for a plane.
  • Initial Conclusion
    • The steering servo seems to have failed and done so in a way that interferes with receiver and ESC functions.
So forum readers, I ask you, have you EVER heard of a servo failing and taking the ESC or receiver with it? I feel SO lucky that it continued straight down a straight road and I was able to get it from the intersection before SQUISH.

What is a reasonable request of Horizon/ARRMA? I feel I really can't trust this specific vehicle and think a physically different example would be appropriate, but I don't want to be unreasonable.
Thanks,
Jeff
This legit happened to me the 3rd day I had my kraton v5. I talked to horizon hobby about it and they first thought it was my receiver and transmitter. So then they sent me out a brand new combo. Later I found out from my own research it was the servo itself bricking everything. They are sending me out a new servo but they are currently backordered. In the mean time I bought a 35kg servo off of amazon and it has more torque compared to stock servo. At least horizon hobby has great customer support!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back