Kraton 6 year old with a 6s?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IME, a 6S driven on 6S will be more expensive to own/operate than a 3S/4S driven on 3S/4S.

6S driven on 4S? I have no idea, I don’t do that.

K6s on 4s is just fine. It's a thing IMHO. Done that many times. And for a young child "Might" just work. I don't think he will be sending it? Right?:unsure:
3s will work as well. If you wont mind it. But too under powered for me. Tried that also. All Firma 150 ESC-s will work with 3s -6s packs. Will initialize. Per the Retail version manual last I heard. The RTR kit ESC manual states 4s-6s, and probably because the K6s is rather heavy for 3s packs.
TBH, I just cant see a young 6 yo with any 13+ pound 1/8, 1/7 or 1/5 size model. It's not a thing. The safety liability is too great. (n)
These are not the slower Brushed/Nim models of yesteryear.

Last edited:
K6s on 4s is just fine. It's a thing IMHO. Done that many times. And for a young child "Might" just work. I don't think he will be sending it? Right?:unsure:
3s will work as well. But too under powered for sure. Tried that also. All Firma 150 ESC;s will work with 3s -6s packs. Per the Retail version manual last I heard.
Is 3s safe and or okay to use in a 6s? I thought it should only be 4s and 6s batteries used?
Sending it.... well who knows. He is smart and usually good at everything he does enjoy. Like others have said... it's up to the parent, all kids are different and age is just a number. Provided I set him up with all the fail safes so he doesn't hurt himself or others either platform should work out fine.
It's really about durability and fun level. So I feel the outcast 6s running at a safe speed might be boring compared to a granite running running at a faster speed. And now I might not even go granite since it flips over alot.
He loves monster trucks so I don't think a car or low rider would be as appealing.

maybe the 4s would be a better choice then the granite.
gorgon seems to be sold out and not sure about reliability or part replacement with that one

I started my grandson out at 5yrs old, he will be 6 very soon. On his birthday, he gets to keep his name on the Kraton 4sv2. He started out on it at 30% power and now he is at 70% power. But he knows the rules, or I put it up.

IMG_0651.jpeg

Maybe plan ahead? He's 6 now, then 8..and before ya know it, 12. Get him an 8s rig, then after he turns 8 you can upgrade the electronics to run 12s?👌😎
Kidding of course✌
If you feel he's ready, get him a 6s rig, start out on 4s. I think the 6s rigs run pretty well on 4s. I'm 52 and still enjoy them on 4s in smaller areas such as a track.👍

Last edited:
Is 3s safe and or okay to use in a 6s? I thought it should only be 4s and 6s batteries used?
Sending it.... well who knows. He is smart and usually good at everything he does enjoy. Like others have said... it's up to the parent, all kids are different and age is just a number. Provided I set him up with all the fail safes so he doesn't hurt himself or others either platform should work out fine.
It's really about durability and fun level. So I feel the outcast 6s running at a safe speed might be boring compared to a granite running running at a faster speed. And now I might not even go granite since it flips over alot.
He loves monster trucks so I don't think a car or low rider would be as appealing.

maybe the 4s would be a better choice then the granite.
gorgon seems to be sold out and not sure about reliability or part replacement with that one
We should first dispel with absolutes here: there's no such thing as "underpowered". There is only such a thing as "underpowered for the specific need". That need depends on whose driving and what you're doing. A 6s on 3s may be very well fast enough for your needs. And the ESC doesn't care what voltage you throw at it (as long as it's within it's allowable voltage range). IMO, 3s would be fine on these vehicles starting out. Since you have a 6s truck and 3s/4s/6s batteries, i'd try each out and see if it work for you. Then also try the 50/75/100 settings on each battery. If it's the right speed, that might help you feel more confident about getting a 6s truck or not.

A 3s truck is also a pretty solid choice for a starting RC. The only reason I wouldn't recommend it is if you were running on very loamy/loose terrain or tall/thick grass where the 1/10 scale trucks can get bogged down. But that's really a limited exception. Just my 2 cents.

I started my grandson out at 5yrs old, he will be 6 very soon. On his birthday, he gets to keep his name on the Kraton 4sv2. He started out on it at 30% power and now he is at 70% power. But he knows the rules, or I put it up.

View attachment 342859
Well he has a dam nice Radiolink radio there for starters. (y) :LOL:
Maybe plan ahead? He's 6 now, then 8..and before ya know it, 12. Get him an 8s rig, then after he turns 8 you can upgrade the electronics to run 12s?👌😎
Kidding of course✌
If you feel he's ready, get him a 6s rig, start out on 4s. I think the 6s rigs run pretty well on 4s. I'm 52 and still enjoy them on 4s in smaller areas such as a track.👍
+1
4s does work. Keep it geared low. Dial down the power as needed.
Safety first..... Following Dad's rules.
Been there. And I miss teaching my son. Enjoy them while they are young. And it's so nice having a little partner to bash with. Not bashing alone all the time. That's the best.
In the beginning I found myself supervising so much, that I didn't enjoy much of my own wheel time.
Now I look back, and it was a mere sacrifice, while teaching my son the fundamentals. Now my son is great competition.
Speed Running our Lim and Infr to triple digits. Our PB's are neck in neck always.
I guess I am a better teacher now than a driver. I totaled out my Lim 3 times over. And my sons Infr just some minor parts needed here and there.:giggle:

Last edited:
He uses my radio so that I’m not driving something else and not paying attention to what he’s doing. When he’s driving, I’m his shadow.

A 3s rig can be every bit as fast as 6s, often harder to control. Terrain will dictate what vehicle fits I feel. BTW, I still run Bandits and Rustlers on 2 and 3s. Alot of fun for a modest investment.

I started my 3yo last year on a Rival MT10 at 2s. He has been doing great and now at 4yo he sometimes drives the 6s Noto on 1/2 throttle. He does really well with the noto but I don't really prefer he drive my kraton or Noto. The MT10 has been really durable and is something I'd buy again.

I have a Granite and absolutely love it. Plenty fast. When time comes for him to be truly ready for 6s you'll still get plenty of smiles out of the Granite. I've also heard great things about the MT10. As for the roll over on the Granite, you can buy this. It's sold as a kit now for less than $30 to widen the stance.

ARRMA Wide Track Arm Boost Box ARA230008 Electric Car/Truck Option Parts​

1. ARRMA Wide Track Arm Boost Box ARA230008 Electric Car/Truck Option Parts

I have a Granite and absolutely love it. Plenty fast. When time comes for him to be truly ready for 6s you'll still get plenty of smiles out of the Granite. I've also heard great things about the MT10. As for the roll over on the Granite, you can buy this. It's sold as a kit now for less than $30 to widen the stance.

Oh , thats cool. What are the different levels of granite... I really don't understand the line up. Theres a 2 wheel and 4 wheel drive and a grom? And then the kraton 4s is the same parts but bigger frame?

Oh , thats cool. What are the different levels of granite... I really don't understand the line up. Theres a 2 wheel and 4 wheel drive and a grom? And then the kraton 4s is the same parts but bigger frame?
They have the boost which is the 2wd brushed, the grom is a mini granite and then the BLX which is the 4x4 brushless. If you went Granite over 6s then the BLX is the one you'd likely want.

Gotta hijack this for a small question: You happen to know if something like this exists for the Kraton 6S? Searched on the ArrmA site but this was the only wide track to be found.
Thanks.

There are no wider arms for the K6 platform. I couldn't see the need for any wider arms myself. They are plenty wide enough.
And nothing in parts from the 4x4 line will fit any of the 6s lines of Arrma's.
Short of a few tires, nothing is interchangeable.

So is an outcast 4s just a beefy granite?
If so would the outcast be worth $100 more used based on the stock parts /upgrades it comes with?
Can the 4s run on 2s? Or can I get the power low enough on 3s for a safer ride?

I would love to get him the 6s so we can swap parts around but I think the granite or 4s might be a better choice.

I see a granite brushed for $150 and a outcast 4s for $250

If so would the outcast be worth $100 more used based on the stock parts /upgrades it comes with?

I would love to get him the 6s so we can swap parts around but I think the granite or 4s might be a better choice.

If you're considering 6s and 4s trucks then going to a brushed motor will leave you and your son very underwhelmed comparatively. I have had bad luck buying used RC's but that's just me. Also there's something about admiring a brand new one right before you go beat the hell out of it. That Outcast 4s in classifieds seems like a good deal though honestly.

Buying New with a valid receipt, gets you that Arrma 2 year warranty. Some consider that alone priceless when you consider value for money spent. Just playing devils advocate here.;)

If you are not a seasoned RC'er that is already comfortable with Arrma platforms, and don't know what you are looking at intimately, you will likely be behind the 8 Ball. Need to know what you are buying used before you buy. Best is in person, seeing a good running model first, before buying. Hard to do looking at pix online.
Ending up needing much $$ to repair and fix it up first. No value there ultimately. A fail. There are many reasons people sell these used.
Don't be that victim of a bad reason, that the seller is selling it.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

TBH, having only 6s platforms to deal with simplifies things for sure.

I mean I witnessed this first hand.... 8yr old.... $2800 4-stroke stunt plane as big as a small car...

Teaching is the key. This kid understands and respects it. The better question isnt to give or not to give a youngling a lightsaber, but to teach them how to use it.

Touching on what @Tex Koder said. Kids pic up stuff fast. This kid had never hovered, via verbal instruction on his 3rd pass he did this below!!! Stunning and I couldnt have picked it up that quick!! They are better then us in almost everyway, they just need taught.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back