A trick to get stubborn bearings out of blind holes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wilburt

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
watched a YouTube channel called AVE. He showed a trick to get bearings out of blind holes. You'd have to see the vid, but he greased fine strips of cotton and stuffed them in the centre of the bearing, then used a close fitting punch to drive it down in the bearing center. The cotton squeezes under the back of the bearing and forces it up out of the blind hole.

And there I was thinking I'd share a really smart idea no one had thought of yet! ☹
I saw one post and the person drilled the backend of his motor out to push the bearing out.

Last edited:
Other trick is to use bread. Add tiny balls of sandwich bread and push it in hole. Pops right out after you do it a few times.

When I first read about the bread trick, I was amused and thought I would be the butt of someone's joke. But after it worked, I was pretty impressed.

When I first read about the bread trick, I was amused and thought I would be the butt of someone's joke. But after it worked, I was pretty impressed.
My grandfather showed me this trick removing a pilot bearing off the back of a crankshaft about 30 years ago and I thought he was a genius. I’m pretty sure he claimed to have invented it like every other old man trick I picked up from him over the years too ?
The man could sharpen an axe like no other still to this day though

We often use grease and a punch to remove clutch pilot bearing out of a crankshaft. Works likes a charm every single time.

I’ve been using the blind hole grease method my whole life but it wouldn’t work on the BLX 6S motor rear bearing. It just pushed the seals out and continued squeezing through the balls and cage no matter what I tried. I found the bread tip and it worked great to not squeeze through and popped the bearing out with ease.

My grandfather showed me this trick removing a pilot bearing off the back of a crankshaft about 30 years ago and I thought he was a genius. I’m pretty sure he claimed to have invented it like every other old man trick I picked up from him over the years too ?
The man could sharpen an axe like no other still to this day though
My dad used to be similar! I think all father's try to impress upon their children. It reminds me of one time a story my dad once told me when I was a little impressionable kid that to join the British army, they threw a parachute out of a plane and he had to jump out, catch it and deploy before hitting the ground!
I’ve been using the blind hole grease method my whole life but it wouldn’t work on the BLX 6S motor rear bearing. It just pushed the seals out and continued squeezing through the balls and cage no matter what I tried. I found the bread tip and it worked great to not squeeze through and popped the bearing out with ease.
I get you. It's the properties of the bread acting half liquid half solid under pressure that helped accomplish the job

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back