Kraton Advice on Pinion Gear, Extras, and Setup for EzRun MAX6 G2 Combo on Kraton 6s EXB2

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreatWhiteDope

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hey all, had some quick questions about new motor & ESC I just bought for my Kraton 6s EXB2.
I ordered the EzRun MAX6 G2 Combo MAX6 G2 + 4990SD 1650KV. From what I’ve seen and read it is one of the best combos for the 6s lineup. Almost went with the castle 1717 but damn over 100$ more. Anyways, still a noob to the hobby had some general questions;
Any recommendations on a good solid pinion to start with? 22T perhaps? I do general park bashing, jumping ditches, good amount of grass and dirt track roaming.
Also, do I need to get anything extra like a programmer or anything?
I have many fans and such, would it be necessary to throw one on anyways?
I’ve got the m2c adjustable motor mount so I know figment shouldn’t be an issue, thanks in advance

Hey all, had some quick questions about new motor & ESC I just bought for my Kraton 6s EXB2.
I ordered the EzRun MAX6 G2 Combo MAX6 G2 + 4990SD 1650KV. From what I’ve seen and read it is one of the best combos for the 6s lineup. Almost went with the castle 1717 but damn over 100$ more. Anyways, still a noob to the hobby had some general questions;
Any recommendations on a good solid pinion to start with? 22T perhaps? I do general park bashing, jumping ditches, good amount of grass and dirt track roaming.
Also, do I need to get anything extra like a programmer or anything?
I have many fans and such, would it be necessary to throw one on anyways?
I’ve got the m2c adjustable motor mount so I know figment shouldn’t be an issue, thanks in advance
Tekno pinions. High quality steel with 5mm set/grub screw. They're almost as thin as the spur, so just make sure it's lined up. I wouldn't go any more than a 20t for it. I'd go for 18t in that.

In my Kraton 6s V5, I have a 20T Tekno pinion on a Castle 1650kv motor. It is plenty fast and has great torque, along with low motor temps.
Hell yah good to hear! Ideally what im looking to achieve is close to the same power as the spektrum system but with much better temps!
I run the k6 with some backflips 3.8 some trencher X’s and also PL Street fighters.

Hell yah good to hear! Ideally what im looking to achieve is close to the same power as the spektrum system but with much better temps!
I run the k6 with some backflips 3.8 some trencher X’s and also PL Street fighters.
I run my Kraton on Backflip 6s tires. I had Trenchers on another vehicle, and I found the traction wasn't all that great for a combination of hard packed dirt and grass, which is what I mainly run on.

I run my Kraton on Backflip 6s tires. I had Trenchers on another vehicle, and I found the traction wasn't all that great for a combination of hard packed dirt and grass, which is what I mainly run on.
I know what you mean. The backflips are undeniably the best imo. I prefer the trenchers on my fireteam since I don’t jump much with it. Love the way that sucker handles

Gear up more using an 8S system running only 6S, IMO it’s always better to stay in the 1/4-3/4 throttle range and have that extra when you need it.

Shoot for 60-65mph 6S gearing and you’ll have an extra 10mph available should you want to go 8S speed runs or open field bashing to keep things entertaining. That’s the real benefit of upgrading to sensored 200Amp electronics, more dynamic capability and it’ll crawl well should you desire.

20-22T+ if using the 50T spur with MT tires. Never had copperheads but haven’t heard of many blowing up at increased tire speeds. Diff fluid is critical.

I know what you mean. The backflips are undeniably the best imo. I prefer the trenchers on my fireteam since I don’t jump much with it. Love the way that sucker handles
Gear up more using an 8S system running only 6S, IMO it’s always better to stay in the 1/4-3/4 throttle range and have that extra when you need it.

Shoot for 60-65mph 6S gearing and you’ll have an extra 10mph available should you want to go 8S speed runs or open field bashing to keep things entertaining. That’s the real benefit of upgrading to sensored 200Amp electronics, more dynamic capability and it’ll crawl well should you desire.

20-22T if using the 50T spur with MT tires. Never had copperheads but haven’t heard of many blowing up at increased tire speeds. Diff fluid is critical.
hell yes thanks man, the kind of info i was looking to hear. It is a 50t spur, and my fluids I just recently changed up again. Was at 60/500/40 all open. Just changed it to 80/150(max lsd)/60

whats wrong with the stock motor and esc sounds like a lot of money spent on electronics you don't need to me. I would have got the m2c chassis if I was spending money on a brand new kit

whats wrong with the stock motor and esc sounds like a lot of money spent on electronics you don't need to me. I would have got the m2c chassis if I was spending money on a brand new kit
Well they do seem great, definitely has a desirable amount of power. I just hate having to deal with the heat they generate tbh. I’ve lowered my gearing, lowered my motor timing to 0 and temps still get pretty high even after one pack. With dual fans as well. Idk why, I am extremely attentive to maintenance, constantly check bearings, lube them up with Cow RC moo-slick so I know it’s not that causing heat.
From what I’ve read the temps are just much better on those systems with the same amount of power basically (geared correctly).
So I suppose that’s why 👍

Oh and hell yes to m2c chassis, that is unquestionably next on the list to get. As mine is bent alrdy. I’ve got a backup I’ll end up using until I do get the m2c one

How hot is yours getting? Mines completely factory aside from dual fans and a 15t pinion, it will get a little warm if really constantly hammering the throttle but otherwise it runs pretty dang cool

How hot is yours getting? Mines completely factory aside from dual fans and a 15t pinion, it will get a little warm if really constantly hammering the throttle but otherwise it runs pretty dang cool
Well, if im running on grass for anything longer than 5ish minutes (not even gunning it, just grass cruising) it’ll get upto 180 real quick. And im not 100% on how accurate the DX5c’s temp readings are but shows my ESC is up around 160+ pretty quick to.
I can manage the temps while driving it, but that’s a lot less fun.
I’ve learned an astronomical amount in a very very short period of time.
How to drive it, jump it, clean it etc. anyways surely the new motor esc will kick ass. And I’ll use these spektrums in whatever I build next 💪

Well, if im running on grass for anything longer than 5ish minutes (not even gunning it, just grass cruising) it’ll get upto 180 real quick. And im not 100% on how accurate the DX5c’s temp readings are but shows my ESC is up around 160+ pretty quick to.
I can manage the temps while driving it, but that’s a lot less fun.
I’ve learned an astronomical amount in a very very short period of time.
How to drive it, jump it, clean it etc. anyways surely the new motor esc will kick ass. And I’ll use these spektrums in whatever I build next 💪
The telemetry on the spektrum radios is definitely not accurate. I ran into this with my 4s outcast. The only way to know the true temps is to use a temp gun, and it will probably put your mind at ease when you see the actual temps vs what the radio tells you. If it is actually getting hot then I have a list of things to check over lol

The telemetry on the spektrum radios is definitely not accurate. I ran into this with my 4s outcast. The only way to know the true temps is to use a temp gun, and it will probably put your mind at ease when you see the actual temps vs what the radio tells you. If it is actually getting hot then I have a list of things to check over lol
That’s good to know!
And hell yeah man, hit me with that knowledge. I’ve only been at this hobby since mid January lol

Taller/thicker grass will heat the best of them up. Upgrade the fans out of the box, the factory ones on motor and esc are better than nothing but still suck. Make sure the heat sink on the motor is tight and even then they don't make full/good contact which is what wound up being the issue on my outcast. I used a thermal pad between the heat sink and motor to solve it's overheating issue. Bad bearings which isn't uncommon even out of the box will cause rolling resistance and heat one up

Taller/thicker grass will heat the best of them up. Upgrade the fans out of the box, the factory ones on motor and esc are better than nothing but still suck. Make sure the heat sink on the motor is tight and even then they don't make full/good contact which is what wound up being the issue on my outcast. I used a thermal pad between the heat sink and motor to solve it's overheating issue. Bad bearings which isn't uncommon even out of the box will cause rolling resistance and heat one up
Ok ok, the grass I go thru is pretty plush but not to to tall. And my heat sink probably does suck or isn’t fully seated idk. And as far as bearings go, well surely in the past it has greatly contributed to the heat.
For some damn reason, still haven’t figured out why, I bust more bearings than anything else. Well some break some just go poopy. I’ve tried so many kinds, fast eddys, Jim’s, random Amazon ones. I’d say in the last month, between my kraton and fireteam I have had atleast 20+ bearings break or go bad on me.
Both trucks have stock punch settings, running either backflips or fireteam tires/ trenchers. Idk what else contributes to new bearings going bad so quick?😆

On the new bearings going bad I'm not sure to be honest with you. Another thing is turn the motor timing down, the factory 22.5 is way too high. I set mine to zero and unless you're trying to make high speed runs to see how fast you can go, you'll never noticed it turned off

On the new bearings going bad I'm not sure to be honest with you. Another thing is turn the motor timing down, the factory 22.5 is way too high. I set mine to zero and unless you're trying to make high speed runs to see how fast you can go, you'll never noticed it turned off
Oh hell yeah on the motor timing. I turned mine down to 0 recently as well. That was a noticeable difference atleast. And didn’t even notice a difference in speed, well extremely slight

Have you taken your diffs apart to check oil levels, gears and all?
Oh hell yeah man. I’ve been into those diffs atleast 5-6 times. I’ve changed my oil and LSD setup 3 times now trying to find a sweet spot

Have you taken your diffs apart to check oil levels, gears and all?
I know it seems kind of crazy, I run mine on a 15t as well. Perhaps it is just me? Idk. But my fireteam similar setup, tire wise, widened +10, doesn’t even close to as hot.
What kind of temps do you see, let’s say if your just running on street for 10 mins you think?
Then same for grass

Back