Kraton Advice on Pinion Gear, Extras, and Setup for EzRun MAX6 G2 Combo on Kraton 6s EXB2

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That’s good to know!
And hell yeah man, hit me with that knowledge. I’ve only been at this hobby since mid January lol
With a temp gun. Running two massive fans and normal tires on my k6 I have no issues getting the motor well beyond acceptable temps. I am in Texas and ambient air matters. You are not alone or wrong to worry about these temps the motor can generate. Mine hasn't died yet. I am hoping it will soon because I will buy the exact set up you have. But my motor gets hot fast and stays hot. Too hot. I am also very particular about bearings, fluids, tightness of heatsink etc. I can run a 6800mah pack through it doing jumps at a construction site and the motor will be so hot by the end of the pack that i cant touch that side of the chassis. ZERO performance issues just hate that it gets that hot. Hopefully it will break soon.

To add. I have 3 6s vehicles from Arrma all running the same motor same issues with heat. Never hit thermal or anything like that but for as much air flow that goes through them they should never be hitting up into 180+ range in my opinion.

Well they do seem great, definitely has a desirable amount of power. I just hate having to deal with the heat they generate tbh. I’ve lowered my gearing, lowered my motor timing to 0 and temps still get pretty high even after one pack. With dual fans as well. Idk why, I am extremely attentive to maintenance, constantly check bearings, lube them up with Cow RC moo-slick so I know it’s not that causing heat.
From what I’ve read the temps are just much better on those systems with the same amount of power basically (geared correctly).
So I suppose that’s why 👍

Oh and hell yes to m2c chassis, that is unquestionably next on the list to get. As mine is bent alrdy. I’ve got a backup I’ll end up using until I do get the m2c one
I new you would say about the heat thing. I run stock or hobbywing equivalent with high speed fans on most of my cars most are m2c upgraded or scorched rc so heaver than stock and there not too bad heat wise but I live in the uk. don't no where your from

I new you would say about the heat thing. I run stock or hobbywing equivalent with high speed fans on most of my cars most are m2c upgraded or scorched rc so heaver than stock and there not too bad heat wise but I live in the uk. don't no where your from
South Texas, US. Nuff said! Lol (average ambient temps right now mid day 90-100F, 32C-38C) not even ‘hot’ yet
And yah I’ve got a good bit of m2c as well

With a temp gun. Running two massive fans and normal tires on my k6 I have no issues getting the motor well beyond acceptable temps. I am in Texas and ambient air matters. You are not alone or wrong to worry about these temps the motor can generate. Mine hasn't died yet. I am hoping it will soon because I will buy the exact set up you have. But my motor gets hot fast and stays hot. Too hot. I am also very particular about bearings, fluids, tightness of heatsink etc. I can run a 6800mah pack through it doing jumps at a construction site and the motor will be so hot by the end of the pack that i cant touch that side of the chassis. ZERO performance issues just hate that it gets that hot. Hopefully it will break soon.

To add. I have 3 6s vehicles from Arrma all running the same motor same issues with heat. Never hit thermal or anything like that but for as much air flow that goes through them they should never be hitting up into 180+ range in my opinion.
I'm not doubting you what so ever so don't take this that way. It's mind boggling to me the ones who have issues and the ones that don't. My kraton runs pretty cool. Aldo has kept his stock aside from gearing it up and beats the hell out of it if you haven't watched any of his YouTube videos, and hasn't over heated. There's obviously a quality control issue. While buying a new motor and esc is the easiest thing to do, not everyone has that free cash laying around. Which is why I suggest bringing these problems to horizon/arrma's attention. If enough people have the same issue then hopefully they will correct the issues going forward so the kid who dropped every spare penny he had on a rig to find it over heats out of the box and can't afford that hobbywing combo if that makes sense

Damn I feel that all to well man, im in the exact same boat. Like im sure it will be fine atleast for a while longer but i am the type id rather be proactive about something than reactive. If that means shelling out some money for a better system then so be it!

I'm not doubting you what so ever so don't take this that way. It's mind boggling to me the ones who have issues and the ones that don't. My kraton runs pretty cool. Aldo has kept his stock aside from gearing it up and beats the hell out of it if you haven't watched any of his YouTube videos, and hasn't over heated. There's obviously a quality control issue. While buying a new motor and esc is the easiest thing to do, not everyone has that free cash laying around. Which is why I suggest bringing these problems to horizon/arrma's attention. If enough people have the same issue then hopefully they will correct the issues going forward so the kid who dropped every spare penny he had on a rig to find it over heats out of the box and can't afford that hobbywing combo if that makes sense
I absolutely couldn’t agree more man! I’d say my location definitely doesn’t help the temps. But I have no way around it, it’s just hot!!
I’ll surely be contacting Hh and see what they have to say. As far as I know I have check and do check everything I can for optimal efficiency of the truck. And trying to keep the temps down but nothing works! So in my own personal last ditch attempt, a new motor esc combo is my solution 🫡

Spektrum 150A ESC is really a light duty 6S speed controller, I'd say for good bashing its limitations are a Typhon running 4S with an occasional cool ambient temp 25V session. I've burnt up 5 of them even decreasing timing , they're not meant to be heavily loaded with amperage and long bash sessions.

Take it from experience, all toasty without giving initial thermal indications. Obviously if your Firma 150 ESC has been sustaining your application, you have different tendencies. Arrma realized this and the v2 appears to be slightly improved on both accounts…

1716470237043.jpeg

Last edited:
Spektrum 150A ESC is really a light duty 6S ESC, I'd say for good bashing its limitations are a Typhon running 4S with an occasional cool ambient temp 25V session. I've burnt up 5 of them even decreasing timing , they're not meant to be heavily loaded with amperage and long bash sessions.

Take it from experience, all toasty without giving initial thermal indications. Obviously if your Firma 150 ESC has been sustaining your application, you have different tendencies. The v2 appears to be slightly improved however…

View attachment 368127
Lmao! Damn dude.
I mean that all makes sense, especially since what I’ve experienced myself. The electronics are good, but as you said not for some of the systems they put them in. Imo.

At first I thought it was me... But now having 3 of these 6s rigs and going above and beyond everything by the book I am just chalking it up to Horizons QC as usual. doesn't matter to me. ARRMA isnt my favorite brand for what it does out of the box. Its my favorite brand because how easy the knowledge from one platform translates to the other and how amazing they are when you drop money into them.. Yes I have seen some people out here running the no fan set up from the factory with no heat issues. Here I am sounding like a fighter jet when I turn my cars on and still get blistering heat from all of them. Luck of the draw I guess. That being said I haven't fried any of them yet and I really am looking forward to it lol. Id love an excuse to buy a couple max6 systems.

At first I thought it was me... But now having 3 of these 6s rigs and going above and beyond everything by the book I am just chalking it up to Horizons QC as usual. doesn't matter to me. ARRMA isnt my favorite brand for what it does out of the box. Its my favorite brand because how easy the knowledge from one platform translates to the other and how amazing they are when you drop money into them.. Yes I have seen some people out here running the no fan set up from the factory with no heat issues. Here I am sounding like a fighter jet when I turn my cars on and still get blistering heat from all of them. Luck of the draw I guess. That being said I haven't fried any of them yet and I really am looking forward to it lol. Id love an excuse to buy a couple max6 systems.
Hahah you’re not alone brother! No fan on the spektrum system sounds like suicide to me. And right right mine are still fully functioning, BUT I know it’s a matter of time especially with summer creeping in.
Was it necessary to buy the max 6 already? Probably not but that’s the way im wired. Just like everything I’ve broken on the truck more than once I have already upgraded to the best possible option available. Basically how I see the motor and esc, just beating it to the punch haha

Hahah you’re not alone brother! No fan on the spektrum system sounds like suicide to me. And right right mine are still fully functioning, BUT I know it’s a matter of time especially with summer creeping in.
Was it necessary to buy the max 6 already? Probably not but that’s the way im wired. Just like everything I’ve broken on the truck more than once I have already upgraded to the best possible option available. Basically how I see the motor and esc, just beating it to the punch haha
In my opinion that system right now is at such a good price point if you have adult money I wouldn't sweat it... Now if as previously stated. If I saved up for a while and was super excited to get my first truck and spent all my savings on the truck and batteries. Id be so upset. So don't take my apathetic attitude towards the situation as acceptance. It shouldn't be this way. I just assume when I buy a new RC I should budget to replace the electronic and make a few repairs pretty fast... That's not really an ARRMA issue but an industry issue. My traxxas stuff was the same.

In my opinion that system right now is at such a good price point if you have adult money I wouldn't sweat it... Now if as previously stated. If I saved up for a while and was super excited to get my first truck and spent all my savings on the truck and batteries. Id be so upset. So don't take my apathetic attitude towards the situation as acceptance. It shouldn't be this way. I just assume when I buy a new RC I should budget to replace the electronic and make a few repairs pretty fast... That's not really an ARRMA issue but an industry issue. My traxxas stuff was the same.
The max6? Agreed, 230$ really isn’t bad at all considering what it’s capable of and the peace of mind you get imo.
And as a beginner in the hobby I can already see that as well. I have wondered why they would choose a higher kv motor which is definitely more heat over a lower kv with a higher pinion as stock.

But then again I don’t know anything, so 🤷

Last edited:
I'm curious to see how that set up does once you get it in your rig man
Here ya go bro! Not gonna lie this whole setup absolutely blew my mind. The hobby wing combo first off is superb, everything about it impressed me, the quality, the ease of install, hell even the instructions were legible lol.
And the fact it’s FAST AF.
Also I didn’t even know you could just Bluetooth to the esc to change what you want. I bought a damn program box like a dummy 😭

IMG_2800.jpeg

IMG_2805.jpeg

IMG_2808.jpeg

IMG_2804.jpeg

Here ya go bro! Not gonna lie this whole setup absolutely blew my mind. The hobby wing combo first off is superb, everything about it impressed me, the quality, the ease of install, hell even the instructions were legible lol.
Also I didn’t even know you could just Bluetooth to the esc to change what you want. I bought a damn program box like a dummy 😭

IMG_2800.jpeg

IMG_2805.jpeg

IMG_2808.jpeg

IMG_2804.jpeg
@hobo

View attachment 368709

View attachment 368710

View attachment 368711

View attachment 368712

@hobo
Hell yea man! Let me know how it does temp wise!

Back