Granite After a year of waiting i finally got these, the CVD driveshafts.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh I was worried about them not being long enough, and I didn't want to spend $40 to find out they didn't fit.
Someone here at one point had them and stretched them out and measured and they were plenty long. I’m too lazy to find it. Maybe they will post here again.

Well it's been a while since I've updated this thread so here it goes. These metal cvd axles are great, have run about 25 or so 3s packs thru this rig and the axles are holding up great, no real signs of wear and the pins still look good. I'm impressed after all the abuse, feel like it was money well spent. No more broken plastic axles or axle ends wallering out at the pivot pin. They have taken everything I've have thrown at them and more and still holding up great. They're a little costly upfront as an upgrade but we'll worth it in the long run IMHO.

Well it's been a while since I've updated this thread so here it goes. These metal cvd axles are great, have run about 25 or so 3s packs thru this rig and the axles are holding up great, no real signs of wear and the pins still look good. I'm impressed after all the abuse, feel like it was money well spent. No more broken plastic axles or axle ends wallering out at the pivot pin. They have taken everything I've have thrown at them and more and still holding up great. They're a little costly upfront as an upgrade but we'll worth it in the long run IMHO.

Agreed. You do have to cough up about $100 at first. But after several packs the only thing thats happened is a couple of the grub screw holes got stripped so I used the other side. But thankfully they make a cheap kit to replace just that part. No more worrying about when the next axle is gonna pop out of the U Joints.

Agreed. You do have to cough up about $100 at first. But after several packs the only thing thats happened is a couple of the grub screw holes got stripped so I used the other side. But thankfully they make a cheap kit to replace just that part. No more worrying about when the next axle is gonna pop out of the U Joints.

Yeah, this. I stripped one of those grub screws on my original install, and it came loose on my 2nd or 3rd run. But that piece has another hole, almost like Arrma knew numb-nutz like me would need it... LOL

I have not been running my Granite as much recently, maybe 10 or so packs with the new CVD's, but they seem to be solid.

Yeah, this. I stripped one of those grub screws on my original install, and it came loose on my 2nd or 3rd run. But that piece has another hole, almost like Arrma knew numb-nutz like me would need it... LOL

I have not been running my Granite as much recently, maybe 10 or so packs with the new CVD's, but they seem to be solid.

I also noticed that the grub screw threads get damaged as well. So I ordered a pack of 50 m4x4 grub screws to replace them whenever I take the cvds off.

I have had them on my 4S outcast for about 2 months and there great ,I've done things that would have destroyed the stock shafts. I have only put them on the rear because I've never had any issue with the front.

I haven't had any problems with the grub screws and I've taken these off several times now to check their durability and for wear. Guess I'm a lucky one......lol. The upfront cost is harsh but in the long run they're well worth it.

I haven't had any problems with the grub screws and I've taken these off several times now to check their durability and for wear. Guess I'm a lucky one......lol. The upfront cost is harsh but in the long run they're well worth it.
I’m with you I haven’t hade any problems with the grub screws either,it helps to use good tools.there totally worth the cost!

I’m with you I haven’t hade any problems with the grub screws either,it helps to use good tools.there totally worth the cost!

Its not the tools causing the damage. The damage is at the end of the threads after a few times screwing in and out. Heres a picture of some of the screws I replaced. They would have worked again, but would have damaged some of the plastic threads so Ive just started using new screws each time. Happens on all 4 of the CVD's.

20200921_112709.jpg

Its not the tools causing the damage. The damage is at the end of the threads after a few times screwing in and out. Heres a picture of some of the screws I replaced. They would have worked again, but would have damaged some of the plastic threads so Ive just started using new screws each time. Happens on all 4 of the CVD's.

View attachment 100991
Oh I see,that’s weird it does that , better safe than sorry. Nothing worse than getting those stupid grub screws stuck or screwing up the part it’s in.

View attachment 100991
When I've taken mine apart for inspection they all look good. Not sure what's going on with yours but it seems weird that just the tips would round like that. Are you sure you're not over tightening them? Not saying you are by any means but I just tighten mine where they don't slide and then a hair more.

I’ll be dammed , I just took one out on mine it looks like yours and It won’t tighten back up . I think the end gets rounded off in the divot on the output gear over time. It was tight in there but even a little movement would round off the end.

I’ll be dammed , I just took one out on mine it looks like yours and It won’t tighten back up . I think the end gets rounded off in the divot on the output gear over time. It was tight in there but even a little movement would round off the end.

It happens every time on mine so I was surprised others hadn't seen that also.

It happens every time on mine so I was surprised others hadn't seen that also.
I’ve never taken the set screw out all the way, I just loosen it enough to take off the drive shaft. So looks like I’ll need to pick up some grub screws.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back