Amain Hobbies issue.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaPa Thorn

Very Active Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Notorious
  4. Typhon 6s
I placed an order last night right before 12 am and this morning I'm woken up by the fraud Dept. of my bank saying someone tried charging over 1200 to my card. I called Amain to see if something had happened with my info and to let them know something might be up with either their site being watched or one of their employees is skimming numbers.

I then called the bank back to let them know I had contacted the company and while I was on the phone with the bank 3 more charges, all over 2k each and mostly to sporting good stores, came in from different states. The bank canceled my card right there and are starting an investigation. Good I guess, but if parts are defective there will be no refund.

I called Amain back to let them know 3 more charges just happened and while on the phone he informed me my order is being boxed. Funny thing is I never told him who I was or gave him an order number, and my name isn't the one on the caller I.D. Just that I ordered last night. Maybe they only had one order yesterday and I'm just being paranoid and pissed.

Has anyone else had problems with Amain Hobbies? I did find a couple of posts of this happening after placing orders with them, but from 2012 and I figured I'd ask here. If I'm wrong and no one else had any issues with them then at least I can set my mind at ease about that.

I to had a deal like this also but not with Amain. but mine was small $ but my bank caught it.

I placed my first order with Amain a couple of years ago and my bank blocked it due to "high fraud activity associated with the site". I was able to use Paypal for Amain without any flags being thrown though and have used them numerous times through Paypal without any issues. Any time that Paypal is offered for payment, I always use it just for the security.

It's actually very rare for fraud to occur right after an online transaction. Your card information is harvested then sold off in bulk on the dark web. Once brokered that individual may use mules to use the card information. These things tend to take time, so I highly doubt it was anything to do with Amain. It's not a site I've historically seen linked to fraud. Your card information could have been compromised anywhere you used it since you made your first transaction so it can be difficult to pinpoint where the breach took place. If it was the only transaction on your card then it would be highly likely.
PSA your financial institution will never call you up out of the blue and at some point during the call ask for your PIN. I'm still baffled by the amount of people that willingly give out card or personal information to someone that called them. It happens to the older demographic more rather than the younger, so make sure you talk to others in your family about protocol for sensitive information and romance scams. Especially older family members. One does not find love on the internet who also needs money in the form of a wire transfer.

I hope so. Would hate for it to be a site most of us would visit at least once. Not everyone's bank offer the protection I have, they called me 5 minutes after the first try so no damage done. I'm just going to use burner cards or pay pal from now on.

My credit card was recently compromised, someone charged $700.+ from some place I never heard of. Didn't know about it until my bill came.

Been ordering RC stuff left and right lately so don't know where the breach originated. Use paypal whenever possible.

I hate a thief, lowest form of scum. What pisse* me off is all the BS to go through and contact everyone associated with the card then update the info. Its time consuming and PITA. People that do this need to be handled the oldschool way!

I hope so. Would hate for it to be a site most of us would visit at least once. Not everyone's bank offer the protection I have, they called me 5 minutes after the first try so no damage done. I'm just going to use burner cards or pay pal from now on.
My advice to others is use a credit card. That way it's not your money that's at risk. If you have to use a debit card check your account daily. Also if your institution allows it, set up alerts and make sure they have the right phone number. For online we are rolling out a card that has a dynamic cvv2 value on the back so every hour that value changes. Fraudsters won't be able to capture that value making it harder to use the card online for fraudulent transactions. The tech is not cheap so most institutions are having difficulty justifying it. Today 70-80% of card not present fraud is recovered by the institution from the merchant.
The company I work for provides fraud detection service on behalf of over 1000 banks and credit unions in the US. While it may not have been us that serviced you, I love hearing when fraud is caught quickly. Fraud is just too damn easy

I suggest buying a visa gift card and put money on it, then make online purchases every where with no fraud worries
Visa/Mastercard gift cards don"t work at all online locations. Something about not having a physical store. There's another type of throw away cards that do work, I have to talk to a buddy of mine to find out which, but they supposedly work everywhere.

+1 for PayPal

I second guess any online store that does not take PayPal. This actually saved me from a huge headache earlier this week. I was online looking for deals for my speed build when I came across a "too good to be true" deal. When I saw they did not take PayPal, i researched the online store a little further and found a post that spanned almost 10 years with people complaining about them.

So I ended up buying from Amain instead and got a $35 off code :). Used PayPal though. So far nothing fishy seems to be going on, but I am still waiting for my stuff due to one item not in stock yet. But they told me they would not ship till items were in stock upfront, so that's on me.

Any card that has a card number or magnetic strip can be compromised. Whether it's a giftcard or debit/credit card. This will continue until the US finally removes mag stripes from plastic cards.

Debt cards & credit cards(credits are dangerous online) are used wrong, We only use ours when making online purchases where we transfer the exact amount from our main accounts into the debt account. this means there is zero possible way for someone to use money that doesn't exist, also our bank asked us what we normally buy , in this case RC and boating stuff etc. i've had this instance when i went to buy a $9,000 miller - using a credit card, it declined and i received a message in my banks app asking for permission to proceed.

People need to really think about how they use their money and how safe they actually think they are, For e.g if i knew someones full name and school they went to and maybe some other minor things you can easily find out alot of info online.

p.s Been buying from Amain for many many years with no issues, great staff and alot of passion

I have never had a problem with amain. Best site imo. I do use pay pal though. I always use paypal if I can. Rather not give any sites my card info.

PayPal is the way to go for any kind of online shopping. Places that don't accept PayPal, I use my PayPal business debit MasterCard, but I don't save my card info on any site.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back