Limitless AMPS VS MASS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K-BASH

Very Active Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Mojave
  3. Notorious
  4. Senton 6s
  5. Senton 3s
  6. Typhon 6s
Would love to hear everyone's opinion on this....
I weight everything,I've always thought as a 1 to 1 drag car an weight is everything.MASS+POWER=GOOD #'S....LONG AS YA CAN PUT IT TO THE GROUND...here's 4s log with 1 4s pack vs 2×4s packs on 4s...same motor an gearing.540 gram diffrence.11ish mph diffrence in logs...but focus on amps,ripple,watts an that's what 540grams does to this setup,but with an extra 11ish mph.....🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

Screenshot_20221101-181633_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20221101-181603_Chrome.jpg

10,000 amps at 0.0001 volts isn't hardly any power.

What you should be comparing is Watts. Watts relative to mass will get you a more accurate picture of power to weight ratio (although weight and mass aren't the same, either, they work close enough in this analog.)

10,000 amps at 0.0001 volts isn't hardly any power.

What you should be comparing is Watts. Watts relative to mass will get you a more accurate picture of power to weight ratio (although weight and mass aren't the same, either, they work close enough in this analog.)
I my case only concerned about lowest amps....cause putting a xlx2 into a plastic chassis car sucks....I have a xlx an mmx8s I rather use.lbs,kilos,oz,grams,Oz,, whatever...I'm getting at les weight = less amps an that's what's wanted for more head-room for more speed

I my case only concerned about lowest amps....cause putting a xlx2 into a plastic chassis car sucks....I have a xlx an mmx8s I rather use.lbs,kilos,oz,grams,Oz,, whatever...I'm getting at les weight = less amps an that's what's wanted for more head-room for more speed
If all you want to do is reduce amps. Find a marine or avian HV ESC run 14S, 16S, etc. at lower amps to get the same watts.

V*A=Watt.

Watt is power.

Power is what you need to make the car go.

You should be concerned with reducing Watts, not Amps.
Also, % ripple can be used as a trend indicator of how effecient the ESC is running (as well as heat). Note, that is % ripple. 0.5V ripple on 2S (8.4v peak) is 6% ripple. The same 0.5V ripple on 8S (33.6v peak) is only 1.5% ripple.

Last edited:
Would love to hear everyone's opinion on this....
I weight everything,I've always thought as a 1 to 1 drag car an weight is everything.MASS+POWER=GOOD #'S....LONG AS YA CAN PUT IT TO THE GROUND...here's 4s log with 1 4s pack vs 2×4s packs on 4s...same motor an gearing.540 gram diffrence.11ish mph diffrence in logs...but focus on amps,ripple,watts an that's what 540grams does to this setup,but with an extra 11ish mph.....🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

View attachment 253736

View attachment 253737
@K-BASH dude… ur running 140+mph on 4s, clearly your doing something right lol

Imo far a parallel gos I believe every setup will have a different sweet-spot far as lbs/mah..I agree parallel is the way..I'm just talking about how weight can make huge differences in a setup an it's limits...for instance,,,,get a 1/7 running 145 consistently,then remove 600 grams off same setup an less amp draw will be very apparent on certain setups...100 grams here,100 grams there an ya got a car that'll pull far less amps,ripple, watts giving you more head room for more higher speeds..imo shedding as much weight off car as possible,an still being able to control it for clean passes an ya might be very surprised at outcome..every car an setup will
behave differently.imo weight is more important in speedrunning than most even think about..
Remove shocks,sway bars,cut down towers,an that's roughly 150 grams off car..that's over a 1/4lb off a 10lb car is like removeing 500lbs off a 4000lb 1to1 car..which is alot for a high performance car..

Imo far a parallel gos I believe every setup will have a different sweet-spot far as lbs/mah..I agree parallel is the way..I'm just talking about how weight can make huge differences in a setup an it's limits...for instance,,,,get a 1/7 running 145 consistently,then remove 600 grams off same setup an less amp draw will be very apparent on certain setups...100 grams here,100 grams there an ya got a car that'll pull far less amps,ripple, watts giving you more head room for more higher speeds..imo shedding as much weight off car as possible,an still being able to control it for clean passes an ya might be very surprised at outcome..every car an setup will
behave differently.imo weight is more important in speedrunning than most even think about..
Remove shocks,sway bars,cut down towers,an that's roughly 150 grams off car..that's over a 1/4lb off a 10lb car is like removeing 500lbs off a 4000lb 1to1 car..which is alot for a high performance car..
You might want to re-check your math there. 0.25lbs is 2.5% of 10lbs, 500lbs is 12.5% of 4000lbs...I think. I just woke up so I might have forgotten to carry the 1. But the scaling is a bit off regardless. :)

You might want to re-check your math there. 0.25lbs is 2.5% of 10lbs, 500lbs is 12.5% of 4000lbs...I think. I just woke up so I might have forgotten to carry the 1. But the scaling is a bit off regardless. :)
just a rough guestamation off the top of my head,im always comparing rc speed to 1/4 mile 1to1 cars...removeing weight off a 3800lb 10 sec gas burner an removing weight off a 10lb electric rc are gonna help both go faster in shorter distace.....but weight will affect electical setup diffrently cause gas burners have no limits.....more fuel,more air,more power.can only shove so much electicity into a rc car so that there makes weight on rc cars so much important for max mph out of a limited setup...i kinda proved that by running 142/4s with 2 50$ cnhl 65c 5000mah packs...imagine this car with 2 top teir packs.....low weight an amp draw an ya can run some stupid fast numbers with cheap packs..

That 11mph seems to be coming for those increased RPMs form the extra voltage available.

But the law of diminishing return will eventually come into play with so much more weight added.

Just finding how much more battery can you add before it starts to be too inefficient.

just a rough guestamation off the top of my head,im always comparing rc speed to 1/4 mile 1to1 cars...removeing weight off a 3800lb 10 sec gas burner an removing weight off a 10lb electric rc are gonna help both go faster in shorter distace.....but weight will affect electical setup diffrently cause gas burners have no limits.....more fuel,more air,more power.can only shove so much electicity into a rc car so that there makes weight on rc cars so much important for max mph out of a limited setup...i kinda proved that by running 142/4s with 2 50$ cnhl 65c 5000mah packs...imagine this car with 2 top teir packs.....low weight an amp draw an ya can run some stupid fast numbers with cheap packs..
Sure, but when your rough guesstimation is off by a factor of five, you're creating a misleading proportionality in your head. I get what you're driving at but, we're running motors generating 10-20hp in cars that weigh a couple of pounds and I just have my doubts about a motor with that much power even noticing 150g or 300g. I might be wrong, but that's just my sense of it. I'd probably give it more consideration when it comes to drag racing, but when it comes to speed running I just don't see it being much of a factor, if any. Like said, I could be totally wrong. This is just my layman's reading of the numbers.

That 11mph seems to be coming for those increased RPMs form the extra voltage available.

But the law of diminishing return will eventually come into play with so much more weight added.

Just finding how much more battery can you add before it starts to be too inefficient.
How does removing weight off a drag rc car effect it..I'd say your 1 of our most knowledgeable rc draggers...do alot of the rc daggers pay attention to the weight of there cars,see any diffrences in logs..since I've been running much lighter detta at decent speeds then comparing with logs from my 2.5+lb heavier swb 1/8 amp draw is major between the 2..an it's all because weight...
That's why guys are running 165mph 6s with the slash gt cars..phildogs slash is about to do some things with his new body...these new light setups on 3,4,5s are gonna be the new thing....Tony just ran stupid fast with his lightweight gtb ...Noone runs anything but 10-15lb 1/7 cars for some reason..the very few running 325mm cars all know...look at the fastest low voltage guys out there.what they running...hong-nor,gtb,slash,wltoys

Last edited:
How does removing weight off a drag rc car effect it..I'd say your 1 of our most knowledgeable rc draggers...do alot of the rc daggers pay attention to the weight of there cars,see any diffrences in logs..since I've been running much lighter detta at decent speeds then comparing with logs from my 2.5+lb heavier swb 1/8 amp draw is major between the 2..an it's all because weight...

Removing weight makes the car “faster” from a power perspective and put less strain on the driveline components.

Amp draw will also go up if there’s more voltage available is what I’ve seen on the datalogs for my 4S runs.

Sure, but when your rough guesstimation is off by a factor of five, you're creating a misleading proportionality in your head. I get what you're driving at but, we're running motors generating 10-20hp in cars that weigh a couple of pounds and I just have my doubts about a motor with that much power even noticing 150g or 300g. I might be wrong, but that's just my sense of it. I'd probably give it more consideration when it comes to drag racing, but when it comes to speed running I just don't see it being much of a factor, if any. Like said, I could be totally wrong. This is just my layman's reading of the numbers.
Got alot of wrong info in my head,but comparing an pulling well over 150 logs tells me what weight does....maybe no so much running 6,7,8s..but 2,3,4,5s logs are night an day.
Removing weight makes the car “faster” from a power perspective and put less strain on the driveline components.

Amp draw will also go up if there’s more voltage available is what I’ve seen on the datalogs for my 4S runs.
How compared are these 4s logs👆 with your 1/7 4s logs??night an day I imagine with probly better packs????those are 4s logs from a car weighting 9.7lbs ready to rock with packs an without body on..my stupid guesstimateion was useing 150grams..weight your guys cars an see what the diffrence between this 9.7lb car is ..2.5lbs+++++ on any 1/7...calculate 2.5lbs off a 10lb car...lol

1667368210974285426890286446198.jpg

Last edited:
Got alot of wrong info in my head,but comparing an pulling well over 150 logs tells me what weight does....maybe no so much running 6,7,8s..but 2,3,4,5s logs are night an day.

How compared are these 4s logs👆 with your 1/7 4s logs??night an day I imagine with probly better packs????those are 4s logs from a car weighting 9.7lbs ready to rock with packs an without body on..my stupid guesstimateion was useing 150grams..weight your guys cars an see what the diffrence between this 9.7lb car is ..2.5lbs+++++ on any 1/7...calculate 2.5lbs off a 10lb car...lol

View attachment 253796

View attachment 253796

Are you saying more weight is giving you more power?

Here's car with no packs or body...xlx2 an tp4050 an under 7lbs..controlling car an clean passes get much harder with less weight,making setting up car harder..patience an lots of hits an tuning then ya got a light weight rocket

16673690039652352137700549066723.jpg

Are you saying more weight is giving you more power?
No I'm saying weight is key for great #'s....I'm saying less weight makes speedcars alot faster,but more sketchy unless setup correctly .more weight an amp draw is the enemy,an they run together killing drivetrains,escz,motors,etc...if it's not needed for me to go 0-top speed-0 I remove it,cut it off,just to save 3 grams on all my cars...

Last edited:
Here's car with no packs or body...xlx2 an tp4050 an under 7lbs..controlling car an clean passes get much harder with less weight,making setting up car harder..patience an lots of hits an tuning then ya got a light weight rocket

View attachment 253797

No I'm saying weight is key for great #'s....I'm saying less weight makes speedcars alot faster,but more sketchy unless setup correctly .more weight an amp draw is the enemy,an they run together killing drivetrains,escz,motors,etc...if it's not needed for me to go 0-top speed-0 I remove it,cut it off,just to save 3 grams on all my cars...

I agree with you 100%

I'm getting a perfect pass soon so I can have some legit logs to compare..the day I ran a 117/3s with vendetta an then compared to 117/3s log from swb typhon gt I was blown away..end of this video shows comparison between 2 cars

I'm getting a perfect pass soon so I can have some legit logs to compare..the day I ran a 117/3s with vendetta an then compared to 117/3s log from swb typhon gt I was blown away..end of this video shows comparison between 2 cars
That's awesome bro. I would expect a noticeable difference between two cars where one weights 2.5lbs more than the other. That's a big ol' chunk of mass.

Yeah, I think I'm going to be ordering a PP module soon too. I feel like my trigger pull is pretty good at this point, but if you want to make some objective comparisons, it's necessary to remove as many variables as possible and your trigger finger is the most unreliable component that, as a compounding factor, has the largest influence on key parameters like amp draw and voltage sag.

Last edited:
Yeah, I think I'm going to be ordering a PP module soon too. I feel like my trigger pull is pretty good at this point, but if you want to make some objective comparisons, it's necessary to remove as many variables as possible and your trigger finger is the most unreliable component that, as a compounding factor, has the largest influence on key parameters like amp draw and voltage sag.
They are sold out everywhere here right now...pp is great for testing I imagine, I want to try it out on 8s swb also...it'll bee needed to push car past 162mph on 8s safely...I just wish castle would come out with a 500a mmx8s so I don't need xlx2 for everything..it's so damn big in a plastic chassis car..I wanna push the plastic chassis arrma into the rest of the 325mm cars far as low voltage speed..I believe it's very capable of 150/4s an 165/5s by useing a lighter setup..Shaun didn't have drivetrain issues till the 150s running an heavier 6s setup..spool an c-shaft where his issues....Noone has pushed this platform to its limits yet......I belive it'll blow some minds in the near future..to run 130with 1 an 142 with 2 cheap packs 4s is amazing,an the logs are just as impressive

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back