Anyone interested in the new Redcat KAIJU MT 1/8

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have a part number for the part?
RER12454 is the bumper assembly. There is no specific part for the bumper supports themselves. I have a spare one sitting in my spare parts bin that I could take measurements with if needed? Shoot, i'll mail it to you it if it helps get a good replacement product out on the market.

RER12454 is the bumper assembly. There is no specific part for the bumper supports themselves. I have a spare one sitting in my spare parts bin that I could take measurements with if needed? Shoot, i'll mail it to you it if it helps get a good replacement product out on the
Tree give me a few minutes to look at the park and I’ll let you know if it’s something that would even be achievable in a sustainable fashion

FYI, MT8 bumper does not bolt straight onto a Kaiju, they changed the mounts a little on the MT8.
The upper mounts are part of the bulkheads though, no? So are they different bulkheads? I was under the impression they were the same between the MT8 and kaiju. Or is this just in regards to the lower skidplate portion that's different where the lower mounts connect to?
Tree give me a few minutes to look at the park and I’ll let you know if it’s something that would even be achievable in a sustainable fashion
I'm coming to find more and more that I just need to expand my RC hobby to 3d printing. printing in TPU would be invaluable for multiple areas of my life.

I can’t find anything with good pictures showcasing that part in particular if you want to inbox me with what it exactly looks like and possibly a few pictures of it mounted to the vehicle so I know what kind of room we’re working with the beef certain aspects up to make it more durable I would definitely be willing to help you out

I think the MT8 uses a more traditional style bumper "spring" at the upper mount, which ties into the gearbox cover.. what I'm interested in is whether the bumper spring of the MT8 lines up at all with the Kaiju bumper.. as well as any minty parts @3d-rc.myshopify.com comes up with of course!!
Are the MT8 gearbox covers any different from the Kaiju? IDK.

I can’t find anything with good pictures showcasing that part in particular if you want to inbox me with what it exactly looks like and possibly a few pictures of it mounted to the vehicle so I know what kind of room we’re working with the beef certain aspects up to make it more durable I would definitely be willing to help you out
I'll snap some pictures this evening when i get home and send you a message. Yeah after looking around, the stock product images kind of suck. The material itself may be okay, it's just the attachment point that usually break off. I have a recently broken one that i kept, so i'll include pictures of the broken one too.
I think the MT8 uses a more traditional style bumper "spring" at the upper mount, which ties into the gearbox cover.. what I'm interested in is whether the bumper spring of the MT8 lines up at all with the Kaiju bumper.. as well as any minty parts @3d-rc.myshopify.com comes up with of course!!
Are the MT8 gearbox covers any different from the Kaiju? IDK.
That's kind of what i'm wondering too. The lower bumper supports would probably be fine on the kaiju if the upper ones didn't break. It's always the upper supports that break first one mine. If the upper support can be straight swapped across from the MT8 bumper assembly to the Kaiju bumper assembly, i think that would solve most of the issues here.

I grabbed a few screen shots of the Rival and Kaiju font bumpers, looks like @razorrc is right, spacing on the bumper support screws do look different. Hard to find any good photos of either I'm finding..
Rival then Kaiju..

Screenshot_20230201-143024_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20230201-141551_Samsung Internet.jpg

s-l400.jpg

Took a vid of some snowbank jumping yesterday. The Kaiju took some hard hits, between the 5mm upper links and mojo lower arms, it's a lil beast..
Edit: I couldn't figure out how to upgrade an SD vid to HD on youtube, so I had to delete and am now uploading the video again.. maybe there's away to upgrade to HD without deleting the SD, IDK. This "LubeTube" stuff is all new to me.🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Took a vid of some snowbank jumping yesterday. The Kaiju took some hard hits, between the 5mm upper links and mojo lower arms, it's a lil beast..
Nice bash, those were definitely some hard hits! I felt that one against the tree! 🤪 And looks like a blast skating it around on the slick stuff and those were some clean backflips (y) I'll try to remember my gopro at the skate park next time. Wish I would have had video this last saturday when i cracked the chassis LOL :ROFLMAO:. Still driveable! Arrma metal chassis would have taco'd!

How cold is it over there this time of year? Ever run into issues with brittle plastics in the cold?

Apparently I shut my computer down before the HD vid was uploaded..have to finnish uploading it tonight I guess. Funny, this hero11 shoots video that I have nothing to view it on at full pixels,LOL.
Nice bash, those were definitely some hard hits! I felt that one against the tree! 🤪 And looks like a blast skating it around on the slick stuff and those were some clean backflips (y) I'll try to remember my gopro at the skate park next time. Wish I would have had video this last saturday when i cracked the chassis LOL :ROFLMAO:. Still driveable! Arrma metal chassis would have taco'd!

How cold is it over there this time of year? Ever run into issues with brittle plastics in the cold?
Well, Friday and Saturday were -15F and 40-50mph winds!! IDK what that caculates to, but gotta be colder than any witches body parts for sure!! I did do a couple batteries Saturday afternoon after the winds died down, say +15F..
Sunday was nice, which is when I took the above video, say 35F..
I don't know how much I believe in rc's breaking more in cold weather honestly. I have bashed pretty hard in well below freezing temps and, really I don't feel like it's any different. I break them regardless! LOL
I'm sure there is indeed a point where the plastics do become more brittle or perhaps too brittle, but I don't think many of us are likely to be out sending them at those temps? I also ran the kexb and Xmaxx yesterday. Was a blast, perfect conditions for winter bashing!!🤘😎🍻

Last edited:
Atta boy! :cool:

I haven't worked with kydex before, but i have a few projects that I need to get to that will involve it. Just need to get a heat gun first. Let me know how it holds up! How flexible is it? What thickness are you using?
Thanks😁 I picked up a 12"x12"x.125" piece. Was the thickest I could find for a reasonable price on amazon. It seems pretty rigid, textured on one side.. we'll see how it holds. I didn't think it would make a good skid though, too soft, hence the aluminum. The aluminum is 6000 series .125" (I think)..

Thanks😁 I picked up a 12"x12"x.125" piece. Was the thickest I could find for a reasonable price on amazon. It seems pretty rigid, textured on one side.. we'll see how it holds. I didn't think it would make a good skid though, too soft, hence the aluminum. The aluminum is 6000 series .125" (I think)..
I've got to make a bumper for one project (the kaiju as well actually :ROFLMAO: ) and a wing and front splitter for another project. I'm thinking the thinner stuff might be good for bumper to have some flex, and the thicker kydex might be good for the aero stuff to maintain rigidity.

I did see they have some kydex sheets on aliexpress for reasonable prices. Might pick some up and then do the project when it arrives in 4 months LOL

I've got to make a bumper for one project (the kaiju as well actually :ROFLMAO: ) and a wing and front splitter for another project. I'm thinking the thinner stuff might be good for bumper to have some flex, and the thicker kydex might be good for the aero stuff to maintain rigidity.

I did see they have some kydex sheets on aliexpress for reasonable prices. Might pick some up and then do the project when it arrives in 4 months LOL
I have no idea what thickness will be needed..just figured more is better!?🤣🤣
I had to do something, either buy the RC pieces or make something. My front skid was smashed pretty good and since I basically egged out the aluminum A block, my second one, I drilled all the way through and installed longer 4mm pins.. now I am relying on the front skid to keep the hinge pins from walking out at the A block..
My kaiju is getting pretty sloppy these days..my second center driveshaft and front diff input cups are about smoked too..
It's so much fun tho!! I really wish I had jumped on an EXT when they were $330 on sale last year!! Next time..maybe, LOL

I have no idea what thickness will be needed..just figured more is better!?🤣🤣
I had to do something, either buy the RC pieces or make something. My front skid was smashed pretty good and since I basically egged out the aluminum A block, my second one, I drilled all the way through and installed longer 4mm pins.. now I am relying on the front skid to keep the hinge pins from walking out at the A block..
My kaiju is getting pretty sloppy these days..my second center driveshaft and front diff input cups are about smoked too..
It's so much fun tho!! I really wish I had jumped on an EXT when they were $330 on sale last year!! Next time..maybe, LOL
Oh yeah i keep hoping the EXT goes on another sale. Either that or another SCT sale and then i'll monsterize it! I've got spares for both, so having the second vehicle in either line up would be handy.

I've been impressed how much protection that little kick up from the stock plastic skid on the kaiju has provided. I've been running no bumper for a few weeks and taken some pretty gnarly frontal hits. One of them I was sure i had broken a bulkhead or something. But no! The protruding part of the skid was cracked and it had chunked off another part, but everything else was still in tact!

Now i still do want to get a bumper, but seeing that alleviated my initial concerns about running with no front bumper. Curious what design you come up with for the bumper. Let us know so we can plagiarize it :ROFLMAO:

I'll probably end up following the t-bone racing design pretty closely.

Oh yeah i keep hoping the EXT goes on another sale. Either that or another SCT sale and then i'll monsterize it! I've got spares for both, so having the second vehicle in either line up would be handy.

I've been impressed how much protection that little kick up from the stock plastic skid on the kaiju has provided. I've been running no bumper for a few weeks and taken some pretty gnarly frontal hits. One of them I was sure i had broken a bulkhead or something. But no! The protruding part of the skid was cracked and it had chunked off another part, but everything else was still in tact!

Now i still do want to get a bumper, but seeing that alleviated my initial concerns about running with no front bumper. Curious what design you come up with for the bumper. Let us know so we can plagiarize it :ROFLMAO:

I'll probably end up following the t-bone racing design pretty closely.
I hear ya, I have been running mine since last fall without the front bumper.. some nose dives into frozen gravel chunked out my skid to the point my hinge pins are in jeopardy of falling out recently. .otherwise I wouldn't even care..🤷‍♂️😎
I plan on reusing the stock bumper so I can keep those stupid headlights!!🤣🤣
Just kidding, I hate the headlights TBH. They have me seeing streaks while bashing at dusk..
The plan is to use the Kydex to attach the Redcat bumper to the aluminum skid and front gearbox..👌

I hear ya, I have been running mine since last fall without the front bumper.. some nose dives into frozen gravel chunked out my skid to the point my hinge pins are in jeopardy of falling out recently. .otherwise I wouldn't even care..🤷‍♂️😎
I plan on reusing the stock bumper so I can keep those stupid headlights!!🤣🤣
Just kidding, I hate the headlights TBH. They have me seeing streaks while bashing at dusk..
The plan is to use the Kydex to attach the Redcat bumper to the aluminum skid and front gearbox..👌
I did like the headlight while they lasted. But will i go through the efforts of re-attaching everything and getting the lights back up and running with the new bumper??? probably not :ROFLMAO:

I always though the bumper was decent, just needed a better attachment point, so you might be on to something with that.... :unsure:

Back