Anyone try these?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

w0den

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
So on a different thread I had long discussions about fixing a “free” Typhon Mega 550 that my sim brought home from boarding school. Upgraded it to a 3s BLX thanks to the generosity of @Velodromed and @Exc3l. My son came home from Idaho, we had a blast driving it in our backyard at night. Unfortunately I missed a hair line fracture during the rebuild and this happened:

75C1213F-5C7C-4739-A674-E778633AEDFF.jpeg

Has anyone tried these inexpensive Chinese Arrarown shocks? I ordered them to try them out after seeing a few videos of people using no-name shocks.
Thoughts?

I have the No name eBay aluminum shocks on my daughter’s granite…. They are a little soft on the compression stroke but they do surprisingly well even while jumping. The biggest week spot are the rod ends. I believe I used either some SSD rod ends….
I did not go extensively into tuning them but I am sure you can fine tune them even better….
I did have the 6s line shocks on my 4s outcast and they were pretty awesome. But I was sending that little truck to the moon. Haha

No, haven't used them, but every time I tried the cheap route it costs more.
Make sure you can bleed them properly, and you can buy spare parts for them (rod ends, gaskets etc.)
I wouldn't do it, but I learned the hard way as well.

So on a different thread I had long discussions about fixing a “free” Typhon Mega 550 that my sim brought home from boarding school. Upgraded it to a 3s BLX thanks to the generosity of @Velodromed and @Exc3l. My son came home from Idaho, we had a blast driving it in our backyard at night. Unfortunately I missed a hair line fracture during the rebuild and this happened:

View attachment 180420
Has anyone tried these inexpensive Chinese Arrarown shocks? I ordered them to try them out after seeing a few videos of people using no-name shocks.
Thoughts?

I should’ve included one more shock huh 🤣
Pretty sure I got another one probably two buddy, happy to send them to you. It’s literally five bucks for shipping I think. Just PM me.

Honestly though…plan to eventually get 6s shocks for it and you’ll not have to deal with issues anymore. Mojave front shocks for the front and Kraton front shocks for the rear. They are around 30-35 bucks a set. Typically I’ll start with which ever set I can score off Jenny’s because they’re usually sold out. So hit the email notification button and jump when you get the notification. Should also get team associated Springs but can run with the stock Springs also, just a bit bumpier ride. Some will swap out the oil but I don’t bother, I just top it off with 10wt.

So many of these fine-tuning recommendation things are simply not noticeable when bashing. So many others are only noticeable to someone that’s been doing this hobby for an extended time. I’ve been in it 1.5 years and what I don’t notice or realize doesn’t bug me. Yet. I’m sure as I progress with the hobby I’ll become more aware and picky.

I’ve got 6s shocks on all four of my 3S cars. I have never had a single issue, bend or break with them, even on the Granite which I beat the ever living snot out of at the skate park. They’re made for a near 20lb pound car...they are sturdy! I see people on here constantly chasing after eBay shocks and having issues with them so this is one of the few upgrades that I have found is worth it.

Arrma offers aluminum ones for the 3s line now but I have been happy with the hot racing bodies. Not really the cheap way but they help up hood for me

Yup. Cheep shocks were a bad move. Rod snapped the first time out! Oh well, it was worth the try. Going back to Amazon.
I should’ve included one more shock huh 🤣
Pretty sure I got another one probably two buddy, happy to send them to you. It’s literally five bucks for shipping I think. Just PM me.

Honestly though…plan to eventually get 6s shocks for it and you’ll not have to deal with issues anymore. Mojave front shocks for the front and Kraton front shocks for the rear. They are around 30-35 bucks a set. Typically I’ll start with which ever set I can score off Jenny’s because they’re usually sold out. So hit the email notification button and jump when you get the notification. Should also get team associated Springs but can run with the stock Springs also, just a bit bumpier ride. Some will swap out the oil but I don’t bother, I just top it off with 10wt.

So many of these fine-tuning recommendation things are simply not noticeable when bashing. So many others are only noticeable to someone that’s been doing this hobby for an extended time. I’ve been in it 1.5 years and what I don’t notice or realize doesn’t bug me. Yet. I’m sure as I progress with the hobby I’ll become more aware and picky.

I’ve got 6s shocks on all four of my 3S cars. I have never had a single issue, bend or break with them, even on the Granite which I beat the ever living snot out of at the skate park. They’re made for a near 20lb pound car...they are sturdy! I see people on here constantly chasing after eBay shocks and having issues with them so this is one of the few upgrades that I have found is worth it.
Yeah… just hard to swallow $100 shocks on a “free” car :)
I just ordered new shocks from Jenney’s but I may cancel… I might pm you. Going to discuss options with my son.

Out of curiosity, why are Kraton 6s shocks so much cheaper than the Typhon? I saw something about them fitting a Typhon, but I can’t seem to find the post anymore.
Thanks!

Last edited:
Hmmm… doing a bit more research, it looks like the Kraton 6s shocks are a bit longer, but I could lower them (I saw a vid about that). Is there any other material difference between the 6s Typhon shocks and the 6s Kraton shocks?

The only diffs I see, different oil, stiffer springs.
Thoughts?
I just got Typhon 6S fronts for the rear of my girls' Vorteks and Infraction rears for the front of it. I have some work to do so they mount and clear everything, but yes, different springs and oil. The mounting holes are different as well - you will need some shims or things to mount it, and some kind of standoff for the bottom mount to keep the spring from hitting the driveshaft.

@L3phturn so does that mean that the Kraton shocks can be modified for a Typhon? @Velodromed, do you have both 6s shocks to compare?

Thanks!

I do not have any 6S Typhon shocks. All the shocks I have are Kraton and Mojave. I have them on my typhon and they look and work great. I can do pictures later if I remember

Thanks! Kraton shocks ordered!
I do not have any 6S Typhon shocks. All the shocks I have are Kraton and Mojave. I have them on my typhon and they look and work great. I can do pictures later if I remember
Thanks! The Mojave shocks seem to have specs closer the the Typhon. Same spring, Same oil. Going to see if I can switch to the Mojave instead.

Last edited:
Quick question, I don’t see any droop screws on my Typhon, which started its life as a mega 550 gen 1. Can I only adjust the droop by changing the length of the shocks?

Thanks

Quick question, I don’t see any droop screws on my Typhon, which started its life as a mega 550 gen 1. Can I only adjust the droop by changing the length of the shocks?

Thanks
That or you could make some sort of tether with fishing line or something that runs from the shock tower to the a arms.

@Velodromed when you put the Mojave shocks on your Typhon, do you shorten the stroke of the shock?

Several videos I saw show that the droop should be set so that the shock is a bit preloaded.
This video says that if you don’t preload the shock, the shock ends will break:

Not sure I understand the physics there, but on the Arrma typhoon 550 I have, with no droop screws and stock shocks, there is no preloading of the shock. If I shorten the shock as described here;

Then the shock still isn’t preloaded with respect to it’s maximum travel. The only way I can think of preloading the shocks is to jerry rig something as suggested by @slick2500. What am I missing here?

@Velodromed when you put the Mojave shocks on your Typhon, do you shorten the stroke of the shock?

Several videos I saw show that the droop should be set so that the shock is a bit preloaded.
This video says that if you don’t preload the shock, the shock ends will break:

Not sure I understand the physics there, but on the Arrma typhoon 550 I have, with no droop screws and stock shocks, there is no preloading of the shock. If I shorten the shock as described here;

Then the shock still isn’t preloaded with respect to it’s maximum travel. The only way I can think of preloading the shocks is to jerry rig something as suggested by @slick2500. What am I missing here?

I just run them as they are.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back