Arrma Granite 3s BLX Shock reccomendations

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

godfella691981

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
So, I got a Granite 3s blx with 3 leaky shocks out of the box. I've rebuilt them but they continue to leak. I looked around on the forums and people have used the HSP shocks from China, so I ordered a set of those. I put them on my truck and they arent even strong enough to hold the truck up, I put 50wt oil in the front and rear every bump it hits they bottom out on blacktop.
I have also seen were some people are using the Typhon 6s v2 or v3 shocks I tried to find a set of these but they are in short supply. Are the shocks on the Talion 6s blx the same?

Its getting expensive to keep ordering shocks, I've ordered 2 different sets now. The hobby shop I visited about 3 weeks ago didn't have anything in stock that would work.

You have a 2yr warranty...

They are not wanting to stand behind it.
Sure they sent 2 shock rebuild kits, I rebuilt them and they still leak. For the ESC issue they want me to pay to ship the entire truck to them for them to swap out the ESC. The shipping is going to cost $35.00 and they told me they could have it for 3 weeks or longer depending on their work load. I asked them if I could just remove the ESC and send it to them but they said they had to have the entire truck which I understand but they could at least pay for shipping.

They are not wanting to stand behind it.
Sure they sent 2 shock rebuild kits, I rebuilt them and they still leak. For the ESC issue they want me to pay to ship the entire truck to them for them to swap out the ESC. The shipping is going to cost $35.00 and they told me they could have it for 3 weeks or longer depending on their work load. I asked them if I could just remove the ESC and send it to them but they said they had to have the entire truck which I understand but they could at least pay for shipping.

What's wrong with your ESC?

So, I got a Granite 3s blx with 3 leaky shocks out of the box. I've rebuilt them but they continue to leak. I looked around on the forums and people have used the HSP shocks from China, so I ordered a set of those. I put them on my truck and they arent even strong enough to hold the truck up, I put 50wt oil in the front and rear every bump it hits they bottom out on blacktop.
I have also seen were some people are using the Typhon 6s v2 or v3 shocks I tried to find a set of these but they are in short supply. Are the shocks on the Talion 6s blx the same?

Its getting expensive to keep ordering shocks, I've ordered 2 different sets now. The hobby shop I visited about 3 weeks ago didn't have anything in stock that would work.

Noob question: what does a leaky shock look like?
Mine have some gunk at the bottom of the shock pin.. is that leakage, or normal?

TIA

Nope, it isn’t normal...but it’s a common problem with these shocks.

What you are seeing is a sign of a leaking shock. If your rod, perch and arm is “wet” then it’s leaking.

What you are seeing is a sign of a leaking shock. If your rod, perch and arm is “wet” then it’s leaking.

And nothing riles up the masses like a leaky shock!

Oh thanks @Mongoose ... the A-Arms aren't wet.. it's just after bashing in grass and dust, you can see some brown debris gathering at the bottom of the shock pin... that's all.. is that leakage? If I splashed out on Senton6S shocks, this wouldn't happen? Eventually, will the shock oil disappear and affect performance? so many questions. Arrmy, please please educate me (noob)

Yes, that’s still leakage.....it just isn’t bad yet but it will get worse. When you lose enough it will eventually hinder performance so the best we can really do right now with the stockers is keep them topped off. There aren’t too many aftermarket options yet...at least that aren’t a direct fit.

My arm on one of my shocks get soaked when it’s just sitting, let alone when when I’m running it. I will rebuild them once the kits are in stock again or I may try to find some o-rings on McMaster...that’s a lot of work though.

I wouldn’t worry too much about it if you are just bashing around and not jumping too much with it. They are cheap to rebuild so for now just enjoy your new truck and worry about it when the time comes. Worst that will happen is it gets low and you break a shock. Rebuild kits are $5 and rods are $8 so drive it like you stole it and have fun!

These forums are great but sometimes when you are new, it’s hard to determine what’s a big deal and what isn’t, so much so that sometimes all the worrying can take away from the enjoyment of bashing.

Long story short, it’s more of a nuisance than anything.

Yes, that’s still leakage.....it just isn’t bad yet but it will get worse. When you lose enough it will eventually hinder performance so the best we can really do right now with the stockers is keep them topped off. There aren’t too many aftermarket options yet...at least that aren’t a direct fit.

My arm on one of my shocks get soaked when it’s just sitting, let alone when when I’m running it. I will rebuild them once the kits are in stock again or I may try to find some o-rings on McMaster...that’s a lot of work though.

I wouldn’t worry too much about it if you are just bashing around and not jumping too much with it. They are cheap to rebuild so for now just enjoy your new truck and worry about it when the time comes. Worst that will happen is it gets low and you break a shock. Rebuild kits are $5 and rods are $8 so drive it like you stole it and have fun!

These forums are great but sometimes when you are new, it’s hard to determine what’s a big deal and what isn’t, so much so that sometimes all the worrying can take away from the enjoyment of bashing.

Long story short, it’s more of a nuisance than anything.

Hey, just want to say thank you for your detailed response. Yes, you've hit the nail on the head when you guessed that I have trouble identifying what is/is not a big deal. The help here on Armmy is fantastic as is the wealth of knowledge.
I'm in the process of doing a new shell as the shock tower ruptured my stock one! after that will probably be shocks.
Fun, fun, fun.

Thanks again.

I asked HH if they had any plans on addressing the leaky shock issue and they say they have no knowledge of it.
Point them to one of the multiple threads over here about the shocks.

I know this site isn't affiliated with Arrma or Horizon but it would do them a lot of good to at least have a rep on here.

My arm on one of my shocks get soaked when it’s just sitting, let alone when when I’m running it. I will rebuild them once the kits are in stock again or I may try to find some o-rings on McMaster...that’s a lot of work though
damn it @Mongoose ... now my front right Arm and shock is soaked and I haven't touched it for 3 days. FML. I've been following this and other threads and it would seem that rebuilding a shock and replacing O-rings is not a Noob activity, so I am going to press the button on a some HSP/Redcat alloy shocks on Ebay.... I gather 60wt oil at front and 50wt at rear is the way to go..... now it's a waiting game

It was only a matter of time lol. I’m sure you know this already from reading the other thread but I may as well mention it again; don’t get the shocks with the “N” designation in the part number as they won’t fit.

Also, the task of rebuilding shocks isn’t really difficult, a noob can do it but generally people who are new to the hobby don’t have the necessary tools do to it correctly and usually knick the rod which in turn will abrade the o-ring and cause a leak.

With that said, I would suggest you tear the stock shocks apart once the new ones are installed to get an idea of the components and mechanics of the shock. There really isn’t anything to them.

Here is a diagram to give you an idea of the internals.

8EC7C6EB-4634-4BCE-B491-1BDE58FE5CD4.jpeg

I have to say that if you are lucky enough to get stock shocks that don’t leak, they work really well. The ones on my BRCC don’t leak and I really like the way they handle jumps.

Yes, my stock shocks work really great, and I was kind of impressed with them. But once they started to leak, rebuilding did not help. I have swapped my V1 Typhon shocks on to my granite now. They are a straight bolt on. Seeing as V3 Typhon shocks are very rare now, I bought a set of V3 talion shocks for my Typhon. They are the right length, but the Springs are very stiff.

Also, to @godfella691981 , if your shocks will not support the weight of your truck, that is a spring issue, not an oil issue. You need to get stiffer Springs.

Is have two sets of shocks on order. One is from Hobbyking and the other from EBay. Both are coming from China. It’s been 2 weeks. I hate the wait. One set is for my Senton (which hasn’t moved since the summer, lol) and the other for my BRCC when the stock shocks finally give up the ghost.

Easy way to think about it is the fluid controls the compression or slows it down when you land a jump and the spring pushes the truck back up to get the shock ready for the next landing.

Is have two sets of shocks on order. One is from Hobbyking and the other from EBay. Both are coming from China. It’s been 2 weeks. I hate the wait. One set is for my Senton (which hasn’t moved since the summer, lol) and the other for my BRCC when the stock shocks finally give up the ghost.

Which ones did you order?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back