Arrma mega motor for my gatekeeper

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daveovington

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
So I've ordered an arrma mega motor to throw into my element gatekeeper , any thoughts ? Lol 😂 😆 🤣. The gatekeeper just might become my new bashing buddy project, my jeep is to fragile and I'm too broke to buy a real basher so I figured why not build one . After all , I built "frankinjeep" outta a bunch of parts from a bunch of different vehicles so why not build a bashing truck from a gatekeeper . I know this will probably ruffle some basher feathers but thays ok because it's my project and the best part about thos hobby ( in my ooinion) is being able to be creative and build your own thing . And I figured the cheapest and best place to start is the heartbeat so I ordered the arrma mega motor . I'll attatch pics as I go ,if the project gets off the ground lol literally and figuratively . Have a great day folks , happy hobbying!!!

So I've ordered an arrma mega motor to throw into my element gatekeeper , any thoughts ? Lol 😂 😆 🤣. The gatekeeper just might become my new bashing buddy project, my jeep is to fragile and I'm too broke to buy a real basher so I figured why not build one . After all , I built "frankinjeep" outta a bunch of parts from a bunch of different vehicles so why not build a bashing truck from a gatekeeper . I know this will probably ruffle some basher feathers but thays ok because it's my project and the best part about thos hobby ( in my ooinion) is being able to be creative and build your own thing . And I figured the cheapest and best place to start is the heartbeat so I ordered the arrma mega motor . I'll attatch pics as I go ,if the project gets off the ground lol literally and figuratively . Have a great day folks , happy hobbying!!!
Traxxas titan 12t are superior to that motor by far In Terms of lasting longer. If you hear that down I think it could work.

Yes, I have a few thoughts. Is that you welding in your avatar while shirtless? I wanna try that!
Sure is,lol. I was working on the car and it was f'n hot out and all I had to do was tack an old socket onto a rusted on and stripped bolthead so I could get it out. The pic is me holding said bolt and socket in triumph lol
Traxxas titan 12t are superior to that motor by far In Terms of lasting longer. If you hear that down I think it could work.
I'm partial to my reedy motors normally for my crawlers but I saw the mega and know that arrma makes some fast and cool vehicles so I figured I'd give it a go on my gatekeeper and it's actually based off an ultra four truck so some speed would actually be pretty cool with that truck I think. My question now would be , can I run that motor with a stronger esc/battery combo or would it burn out ? I know arrma has alot of 6s stuff out there . Could I set it up to run this motor on 6s or would that be futile ?

Sure is,lol. I was working on the car and it was f'n hot out and all I had to do was tack an old socket onto a rusted on and stripped bolthead so I could get it out. The pic is me holding said bolt and socket in triumph lol

I'm partial to my reedy motors normally for my crawlers but I saw the mega and know that arrma makes some fast and cool vehicles so I figured I'd give it a go on my gatekeeper and it's actually based off an ultra four truck so some speed would actually be pretty cool with that truck I think. My question now would be , can I run that motor with a stronger esc/battery combo or would it burn out ? I know arrma has alot of 6s stuff out there . Could I set it up to run this motor on 6s or would that be futile ?
The brushed mega motor? No that will only run 2s. Are you meaning the brushed motor?

The Reedy Crawler Line of brushed motors are superb. I love Brushed motors in all 3 of my Crawlers.I will never go BLX for Crawling. I am partial to Holmes Hobbies Brushed stuff myself.

This one here is also a great alternative, probably best for Crawling. The 5 slot armature design is the key here. More slots, the better the modulation. Better Throttle feel.

https://www.associatedelectrics.com/reedy/parts/details/27461/

Fo basic bashing, it's your call.

The Reedy Crawler Line of brushed motors are superb. I love Brushed motors in all 3 of my Crawlers.I will never go BLX for Crawling. I am partial to Holmes Hobbies Brushed stuff myself.

This one here is also a great alternative, probably best for Crawling. The 5 slot armature design is the key here. More slots, the better the modulation. Better Throttle feel.

https://www.associatedelectrics.com/reedy/parts/details/27461/

Fo basic bashing, it's your call.
That's the motor my gatekeeper came rtr with , it was awesome until I ended the truck into salt water and had a smoke show. I replaced it with a 16t and it just didn't feel the same, great motor still but the speed was noticeably less. But rheyre great for foing from top speed to just creeping along . Haven't had any of the troubles that alot of guys talk about with other motors.

So I threw the motor into my gatekeeper and it absolutely ripped for about 30 seconds and then started going all funny jumping in reverse so I had to hold the throttle in full forward to make it stop and when I got to it ,it started to smoke ( never a good sign) so I ripped the battery cable out . I had it hooked to an axial esc that's rated for 2-3s and it was the esc that fried . I don't get it 😕

That's the motor my gatekeeper came rtr with , it was awesome until I ended the truck into salt water and had a smoke show. I replaced it with a 16t and it just didn't feel the same, great motor still but the speed was noticeably less. But rheyre great for foing from top speed to just creeping along . Haven't had any of the troubles that alot of guys talk about with other motors.
With brushed motors, the higher the Turns, the slower the RPM's, is the general rule. There are other factors as well, like size of the can, whether it is ball raced or just has 2 Brass bushings, and # of slots. A 12 turn or lower might be better if you want to match the same or get more speed. Going to a 10 Turn for instance garners higher Rev's compared to a 12 Turn. Assuming it has the same length can (a 550 can motor) Longer cans have more Torque. Handle heat better. Compared to a shorter 540 can motor.
If going to a 16 Turn from a 12 Turn stocker, it will be slower, no doubt.
Stay with a 12 Turn or drop to an 8 or 10 Turn. Lower turn motors eat more amps and hence run hotter. A fan solution might be benefitial insurance. Proper gearing when going to a lower turn motor is also a consideration.

Edited.

Last edited:
Well ,I got it to run on 3s and I even put a large pinion and smaller Spur gear in it and it flies now and I only have it up to 58 percent on the dr setting on my remote. I thought I'd busted an axle though only to find out that I sheared the pin for the wheel hex right off on the back passenger side lol. Never seen that before . Thank you to whoever suggested the 1060. Only issue I have with it is its not programmable like the 1080 amd I have the program card for them ,but my gt5 pretty much makes it so you can do all the same adjustments through the remote .
With brushed motors, the higher the Turns, the slower the RPM's, is the general rule. There are other factors as well, like size of the can, whether it is ball raced or just has 2 Brass bushings, and # of slots. A 12 turn or lower might be better if you want to match the same or get more speed. Going to a 10 Turn for instance garners higher Rev's compared to a 12 Turn. Assuming it has the same length can (a 550 can motor) Longer cans have more Torque. Handle heat better. Compared to a shorter 540 can motor.
If going to a 16 Turn from a 12 Turn stocker, it will be slower, no doubt.
Stay with a 12 Turn or drop to an 8 or 10 Turn. Lower turn motors eat more amps and hence run hotter. A fan solution might be benefitial insurance. Proper gearing when going to a lower turn motor is also a consideration.

Edited.
I kinda understand most of that but I was just confused when the esc blew up 5 minutes after installing the new motor but I put in the 1060 hobbywing and stuck a fan on the top of the motor amd haven't had any issues other than breaking parts from going to fast and losing control. I also threw in a 29t pinion with a 78tspur gear from 21t/87t lol just Rips now!!
I will be figuring out some different suspension next and dropping the meat hook crawler tires for something a little smoother and road friendly lol

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back