Have I Bought the wrong motor for my Arrma Granite?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

travisbrook

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite Mega 2WD
I have a Granite 4x2 Boost, which I converted to 4WD using the upgrade kit, since I have put a Hobbywing Max10 G2 80A and 4100Kv 3652 Motor combo in it. I posted on this forum earlier about the best pinion size to use, but was quickly met with questions on my motor and esc choice (i cant find my previous thread, hence the new post). I was told this combo was for 2S maximum on Short-Course 2WD trucks, not a 4WD monster truck. At the minute I mostly use 7 Cell Nimhs (5000 mAh), but was looking to go to 3S in the future, but have now learnt that this is too high of a Kv for 3S and could damage the motor.

I ordered the combo from Modelsport, fitted it, and have only ran it for an hour or so. So I am not sure if they would do returns or an exchange.

Been advised that a Max10 G2 140A and a 3200Kv 3665 Motor would have been better suited for the car, and with a higher voltage from 3S in the future. Would this motor bog down heavily on Nimhs in the meanwhile? As I originally wanted something that could run Nimhs and Lipos happily.

Is this suitable?:
https://www.modelsport.co.uk/produc...10-g2-140a-esc-3665sd-3200kv-g3-motor-1350919

Any help would go a long way, as I'm very new to the hobby and just wanted something for jumping around on dirt tracks, and obviously didn't do my research!

Merry Christmas 🎄 :)

I wouldn't run that 4100kv in a Granite, that motor is meant for a much lighter rig, or a 1/10 or smaller speed runner. The Vendetta comes with a 3900kv motor. I'd go with 3200kv or lower for the Granite.

I wouldn't run that 4100kv in a Granite, that motor is meant for a much lighter rig, or a 1/10 or smaller speed runner. The Vendetta comes with a 3900kv motor. I'd go with 3200kv or lower for the Granite.
Thought so, would a 3652 size still be okay, or should I look into a 3665?
Thank you for the Help.

Thought so, would a 3652 size still be okay, or should I look into a 3665?
Thank you for the Help.
3652 would've been okay on 2wd but it's just not enough for the 4wd granite. I've run 3300kv 3652 in the granite mega I upgraded and even geared down to 12 tooth pinion it cogged pretty bad.

The 3665 will be fine. The stock brushless motor that comes in the BLX Granite is 3660. Longer cans offer slightly more torque and greater heat dissipation, in theory at least. I run this 3665 in my Senton. It's capable of 4S, but I keep it limited to 3S.

Screenshot_20231225_124646_Chrome.jpg

3652 would've been okay on 2wd but it's just not enough for the 4wd granite. I've run 3300kv 3652 in the granite mega I upgraded and even geared down to 12 tooth pinion it cogged pretty bad.
Thanks for the help, so do you think around 3300 Kv with a 3665 would be okay? And do I need to make the jump to Lipos pretty soon? As no hobbywing 3665 i have found runs Nimhs aswell.
The 3665 will be fine. The stock brushless motor that comes in the BLX Granite is 3660. Longer cans offer slightly more torque and greater heat dissipation, in theory at least. I run this 3665 in my Senton. It's capable of 4S, but I keep it limited to 3S.

View attachment 338994
Tysm, do larger cans allow for Nimhs, or do I need to go lipo?

Toss those Nimhs and switch to lipo. Lipos are far superior for many reason, especially when going to a brushless setup.
Yh Im aware of the benefits, just didn't want to spend a lot of money, bc im at uni next year so didnt want to spend loads and then not use the car.
Is there no way I can have a decent setup thats compatible with both?

Model sport has a 14 day return policy as long as the items are not damanged and are clean.

That motor that is listed on amazon which @305HemiGuy mentioned will work, but you would probably need to change the connectors and extend the leads on the motor to have it work on the MAX 10.

I would say return the combo you have and get the right one which s suited for the Granite or just buy the hobbywing motor seperate and sell the 4100kv motor you have here for a loss obviously.

Any reason why @travisbrook couldnt test out this system on 2s?

It is just a Granite, might still be fun ripper. Agree though 4100kV is a bit high for 3s. Probably loads of fun on 2s if you already have the electronics and cannot return them.

Just watch your temps.

Any reason why Mr. Travis couldnt test out this system on 2s?

It is just a Granite, might still be fun ripper. Agree though 4100kV is a but high for 3s. Probably loads of fun on 2s if you already have the electronics.

Just watch your temps.
don't have lipos yet, was wanting to go 3S in the future and be safe with temps and reliability.
Model sport has a 14 day return policy as long as the items are not damanged and are clean.

That motor that is listed on amazon which @305HemiGuy mentioned will work, but you would probably need to change the connectors and extend the leads on the motor to have it work on the MAX 10.

I would say return the combo you have and get the right one which s suited for the Granite or just buy the hobbywing motor seperate and sell the 4100kv motor you have here for a loss obviously.
Their website says if its not used/ fitted they will accept returns, I'm going to ring them when they reopen on the 28th and see if they can do anything.
Is there a hobbywing setup that can run both Nimhs and 3S Lipos that you would recommend? Starting to become a bit lost on which setup is best, as not being able to use Nimhs is kinda a deal breaker for me, most of mine are 7 cell and wont fit in my Tamiya Grasshopper. I would only get 1 Lipo, so having the extra run time, albeit at lower power, would be nice.

Thank you so much for the help

Any reason why @travisbrook couldnt test out this system on 2s?

It is just a Granite, might still be fun ripper. Agree though 4100kV is a bit high for 3s. Probably loads of fun on 2s if you already have the electronics and cannot return them.

Just watch your temps.
The 3652 motor size is the biggest problem. It’ll overheat since it’s just not powerful enough, even with low gearing. I made that same exact mistake long ago.

KV is also an issue and that problem is exacerbated on 2S, since the same wattage will require more amps (and therefore heat) on lower voltage.

The sweet spot for those cars is a 36mm diameter can 60-70mm in length. 2800-3400kv range geared for ~50mph on 3S.

Their website says if its not used/ fitted they will accept returns, I'm going to ring them when they reopen on the 28th and see if they can do anything.
Is there a hobbywing setup that can run both Nimhs and 3S Lipos that you would recommend? Starting to become a bit lost on which setup is best, as not being able to use Nimhs is kinda a deal breaker for me, most of mine are 7 cell and wont fit in my Tamiya Grasshopper. I would only get 1 Lipo, so having the extra run time, albeit at lower power, would be nice.

As long as its not damaged you could just return it. It seems llike you have not bashed with it or used it to its limits (3s LiPo). Clean it up and you can decide if its in returanble condition. Just ideas

The 3652 motor size is the biggest problem. It’ll overheat since it’s just not powerful enough, even with low gearing. I made that same exact mistake long ago.

KV is also an issue and that problem is exacerbated on 2S, since the same wattage will require more amps (and therefore heat) on lower voltage.

The sweet spot for those cars is a 36mm diameter can 60-70mm in length. 2800-3400kv range geared for ~50mph on 3S.
+1. Summed up perfectly

Thanks everyone for your help, especially on Christmas day, will explore my options for the 60-70mm motors and hopefully get this thing going before the new year!

don't have lipos yet, was wanting to go 3S in the future and be safe with temps and reliability.

The Max10 G2 140a will run on 7 cell NIMH just fine you just have to change the LVC setting to disabled. Your run times with NIMH will be shorter is all.

The Max10 G2 140a will run on 7 cell NIMH just fine you just have to change the LVC setting to disabled. Your run times with NIMH will be shorter is all.O

On the Modelsport website, it says that the 3665 doesn't take nimhs, or is it just the esc that determines if i can use Nimh's

On the Modelsport website, it says that the 3665 doesn't take nimhs, or is it just the esc that determines if i can use Nimh's

It's in the esc, motor doesn't care.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back